Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 5x09 - "Lagrange Point"

Rate the episode...

• Total voters
What if the L1 points of both black holes were close enough to each other that they overlapped?

Would that cancel out the instability?
There's only one L1 LaGrange point for a pair of objects and it is unstable.

There are other types of LaGrange points and some of the those are stable. But this one appeared to be an L1 being between the two black holes.

Last edited:
Look the episode was fine and I hate myself for beating this dead horse again but I cannot for the life of me get past the fact that Burnham and Book had a heart to heart whilst undercover on an enemy ship when time was of the essence in plain sight. I am stupefied. It embodies every beef I’ve had with the show for a couple of seasons now.

Trek just does variations on themes. Lasers went to phasers so that they got more flexibility with what it could do, and not be limited by what lasers were known to do.

Warp drive is always based on the needs of the plot, especially with speeds, and power generation.

Sensors work until they can't.

Transporters have always been wonky. They just don't smoke when they go wrong post TOS.
I miss the smoking TOS transporters especially the cool sound that went along with it. They should bring that back.

But the tech is all just window dressing for the stories.

Hard science fiction (which I also like) can really get into that stuff. But Trek isn't that!

Look the episode was fine and I hate myself for beating this dead horse again but I cannot for the life of me get past the fact that Burnham and Book had a heart to heart whilst undercover on an enemy ship when time was of the essence in plain sight. I am stupefied. It embodies every beef I’ve had with the show for a couple of seasons now.
They had all those hours on Discovery while the ship was being repaired, they could've had their "Heart to Heart" moment while on the ship, then go undercover.

There was no logical reason to have it while in enemy territory.

Disco's gonna Disco. At this point, the only possible response to the criticisms about the heart to hearts at inappropriate moments is "are you really surprised?"

It's well used trope. Especially in the action genre. Live and death situation people like to bare souls. Not sure why one would be bothered by it,

This is the third season set in the 32nd century. At this point, it should be obvious futuristic depictions of technological advancement is not this show's goal. And to be honest, I'm glad it isn't.

And frankly, we got enough of the advancements shown. Casually transporting within the ship. Control systems modified to an individuals’ needs. Plenty of good stuff.

And it’s fallacy to assume ALL tech must be even more advanced just by the virtue of passing years. If the Burn didn’t ever happen, maybe technology in the 32nd century would be even more advanced than it is currently depicted. It took about 60 years to go from the Wright brothers to the first moon landing, but then human space travel hasn’t traversed beyond that for the last 60 years.

So many variables could probably explain why technology in the 32nd century isn’t as big of a leap from the 24th century compared to the leap from the 16th to the 24th, but that’s not what this show is about. It’s still a Star Trek series that runs on its own signature tropes.

:lol:

I thought the same thing, but it didn’t bother me.

The episode was pretty good.

- 1 for “Failure is not an option.” I mean…come on.

Back