Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x02 - "Anomaly"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 23, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

6.6%
  2. 9

15.4%
  3. 8

30.9%
  4. 7

19.1%
  5. 6

10.3%
  6. 5

6.6%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

0.7%
  9. 2

3.7%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

5.1%
  1. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually there would be no risk of changing the timeline if they evacuated those people to their present since their deaths were assumed but not confirmed.

Deledrius and Tim Thomason like this.
  2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It most likely won't be. But it would be interesting if the anomaly was a very large graviton eclipse, something first seen in Voyager.
    It was said in that episode that they were attracted to electromagnetic radiation. They also phase in and out of subspace, which explain how it could appear out of nowhere.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Graviton_ellipse

Now the one in Voyager was orange, but reimagined FX and all that.

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Are any of the fans at SF Debris, whatever that is, producers or writers on Star Trek?

Tim Thomason likes this.
  4. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There could be multiple types & sizes of Graviton Ellipse for all we know and they all look different visually (especially color wise).

Commander Troi likes this.
  5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Butterflies can get a bit tetchy. Watch yourself.

Commander Troi and SJGardner like this.
  6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did Discovery just give us a hint about Picard season 2 and the whole synth body thing?

7. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sadly, it's not the graviton ellipse, but a black hole merger.
    Good choice for a first officer!
    Soong type synths are still the best :D
    Picard reference!! :biggrin:
    "Transitioning, it's like I had bigger things to think about. But If I get another chance to remake my body, then why not get rid of all the things that aren't totalle 'me', you know?" - and then Adira's reaction! :luvlove:
    Again the ridiculous rock concert flamethrowers on the bridge XD

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish they would stop calling them synths. That was never a thing before that awful Picard show. They’re called androids.

Deledrius likes this.
  9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was OK but I liked the Enterprise episode of the same name better. I do want to see a Book/Stamets rivalry or relationship though and the best parts of this episode were Saru. Doug Jones is really out acting everyone else on this show, maybe except Cruz who has really grown as Culber. I'm not really liking the Grey/Adira storyline at the moment. It's a little too lovey Dovey for my tastes.

I'll give the episode the same grade I gave it last week, a 6.

I already miss Prodigy.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Commander Troi and Bad Thoughts like this.
  10. NCC-73515

Only when they're male ;)
    Synths is more inclusive, otherwise we'd have to call them gynoids, interoids, hermaphroids... :p

Best part of the episode for me. Gray has such love in his eyes when he looks at Adira...

11. KamenRiderBlade

What's the difference between a Android & Synth?

Data is a Android, but looking at Data, you can easily tell that he's not quite human by basic visual inspection.

But his two daughters are Synths.

Androids don't completely look human?

Soji and her sister look human and can pass basic visual inspection.

Synths are indistinguishable from humans on a visual level?

12. thribs

But Data’s mother was called an Android, and she looked very human.
    I just don’t like the word. Makes them sound less of a thing than calling them a android

13. KamenRiderBlade

Maybe it's late 24th century slang starting to take hold within the show / universe?

Why is "The Doctor", who is a Sentient hologram, also considered a photonic life form by certain other holograms in the Delta quadrant?

14. NCC-73515

People didn't think that much about words back then, I guess.
    But already back in 86 or whenever it was, Bishop said he prefers the term 'artificial person' for himself ;)

@Commander Richard Please open the poll so I can vote a 9 ;)

15. thribs

I’ll just call them toasters.
    That line got a blurt laugh from me. Sounds like the sort of line you would hear in Orville/Red Dwarf.

16. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

Synthetic, or synths, for short has been around in Star Trek since the beginning. The organs in the android Kirk in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" were called synthetic organs. As for Data, he was described as a synthetic commander ("Relics") and as a synthetic lifeform ("Birthright, Part I") and the Borg Queen in Star Trek: First Contact said the Borg had the ability to incorporate the synthetic, here referring to Data. This is not an issue for me.

What is an issue for me is the complete absence of probes. Where are the probes? Have a discussion about probes explaining why they can't be used, then used Booker's ship. And Booker's ship's name - there is no name. The computer lists it as "Vessel".

The ending was great, showing the size of the gravitational anomaly.

Speaking about references, Manark IV was first mentioned in "The Empath", an original series episode.

17. thribs

I’m just getting V’Ger vibes from this anomaly. Probably just trying to find it’s creator.

18. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

The vibes I am getting is that is a giant amoeba in space or the organism that made a snack out of the Pallas-14 system.

19. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel like the Doctor and his clear sentience/sapience are part of why the term “synth” came into popular use - now there’s synthetic life beyond just androids but also holograms and Exocomps and probably nanites, and life that is created by organics is a vibrant and rich category of many forms of life.

Commander Troi, Packard and Markonian like this.
  20. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, something about that last lingering shot... That shape really made me think V’Ger all of a sudden.

Which, y’know, could mean that this is a story about what was today’s solution becoming tomorrow’s problem, which... Kinda feels timely and fitting a story.