Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x02 - "Anomaly"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 23, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

6.6%
  2. 9

15.4%
  3. 8

30.9%
  4. 7

19.1%
  5. 6

10.3%
  6. 5

6.6%
  7. 4

1.5%
  8. 3

0.7%
  9. 2

3.7%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

5.1%
  1. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gray's existence is an allegory for transness, IMHO. We're supposed to trust Adira that Gray is real for the same reason we're supposed to trust trans people when they tell you what their gender is.

Part of the show that I'm really souring on now is how samey everyone feels now (except Stamets being kind of a jerk sometimes). Everyone is trying their best to get along, sometimes stumbles, but when they do they have no issue opening up their heart to a confidant, who listens attentively and gives them sage advice as a good ally. This is...boring.

I mean, lemme turn to DS9, which I think has still so far been the highlight of character writing in Trek. You have Odo, who is a stoic loner who struggles to even discuss his feelings. You have Worf, who's somewhat similar but adds layers of repression on top of it. You have O'Brien, who just keeps his head down and tries to muddle through things, despite being put through unbelievable trauma. Someone like Quark is generally too busy (and too conceited) to waste time with being introspective. Or there's (later) Jadzia, who for the most part is just enjoying life and having fun. That's a lot of different ways of dealing with feelings.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    lawman, Commander Troi and burningoil like this.
  2. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

no idea. Some people are a bit scared at the idea of copying themselves I guess...

which is in fact a very interesting topic that Star Trek should probably revisit soon, along with the “at what point is something alive” one.

I hope this is not the case.
    they touched on this with culber's resurrection...and almost immediately totally dropped it.

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

if this is the case I don’t feel it’s a very good allegory.

Ometiklan likes this.
  4. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

Riker was able to host a symbiote and integrate its memories. That it was a short term bonding was due to immune system rejection and not an inherent incompatibility with the Trill, so not really unprecedented, just longer lived.

I have to agree with jackoverfull. To accept Gray as who he identifies as is one thing, but that is totally different than agreeing he is the original person. If that is what they are going for, it is getting lost to me in the how is Gray even an independent entity.

jackoverfull likes this.
  5. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Michelle Paradise has been explicit that Grey's quest for "visibility" is meant as a trans metaphor.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So we'll roll with editorial metaphor, and figure out the in-story mechanics as we go.

7. Char Kais

Char Kais Commander Red Shirt

Surfing Space Waves in Star Trek Discovery vs TNG

8. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Grin is great as always XD

Commander Troi and Char Kais like this.
  9. Mirror Tuvix

Mirror Tuvix Commander Red Shirt

10. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

I nearly hurt myself trying not to laugh too loudly since my hubby's still asleep!:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

11. Bay17

Bay17 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree. The coming together of the Federation is about us all coming together to tackle natural events

12. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

After watching Umbrella Academy with my 29 year old son, we caught episode 1 and part of 2 of Discovery, and he was bored stiff by the pacing, which by contrast was exceedingly slow, it's true. I'll have to watch the new season of Discovery solo I guess, being the lifelong, senior citizen Trek fan that I am.

But then we binged Prodigy, which moved along much more crisply and held his (and my) interest more, even with the Janeway explanatory moments and child-centered nature of the show. Pacing was so much better...

13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

That umbrella academy show is very misleading. It has nothing to do with zombies. :)

Commander Troi and nic3636 like this.
  14. nic3636

nic3636 Captain Captain

Maybe it’s a prequel ?

15. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or umbrellas...

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There are lots of umbrellas in that show (great show, too). It's one of those ubiquitous things that pop up occasionally, much like the Pennyfarthing bicycle used in The Prisoner (another great show).

17. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Ooh! I'll have time (and painkillers!) to re-watch The Prisoner after surgery! :devil:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  18. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was quite a ride. By the time I finally got back to my DSC Season 4 DVD set, I actually had to look up "Kobayashi Maru" in Memory Alpha to refamiliarize myself with what happened.

I seem to remember the subject of tractor beams coming up in connection with some episode of some streaming series, or maybe TrekLit, but clearly it wasn't this thread. And I'd imagine that the in-universe reason a tractor beam wasn't even mentioned for retrieval of Book's ship was because the anomaly would have rendered it useless.

So it can change course. That suggests it's either artificial, or a life form (possibly even sentient)