Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 4x01 - "Kobayashi Maru"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 17, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

5.0%
  2. 9

19.4%
  3. 8

29.4%
  4. 7

21.3%
  5. 6

9.4%
  6. 5

4.4%
  7. 4

3.1%
  8. 3

1.9%
  9. 2

1.9%
  10. 1 - Terrible.

4.4%
  1. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or "Sssssss" ;)

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Worf in the 23rd Century Premium Member

Yeah, it's just a TV show. Says more about the mockers really.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Our made up technical speak must be consistent! We must protect our phone-baloney jobs gentlemen!

Commander Troi and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  4. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sometimes I wonder if you have actually seen an episode of Star Trek.

Commander Troi and Nerys Myk like this.
  5. Go-Captain

Go-Captain Captain Captain

It reminds me of Troi's command test and I'm convinced Burnham would have failed it. Obviously it wouldn't be an engineering problem in her case, it would be like a child rearing problem she has to send Book to fix, like a ship eating space baby, and he will definitely die if he fixes the issue.
    She should have been a new admiral ranked higher than Vance. We are going to see more admirals eventually so why not ep 1?
    It's the Michael Bay school of filmography, I think he invented the technique. It adds energy to otherwise static scenes, and it's extremely annoying when the discussion is actually not all that tense or could use some contemplation on the part of the audience.
    It's a solution on the same level with how Burnham fixes Book's planet, she figures out an extremely easy solution no one thought of for a century despite having space flight.

I could buy the butterflies not having dilithium, assuming I can buy them even needing it for satellites which somehow didn't explode in the Burn. But, in this case, other power sources should have sufficed. Either on board fusion reactors, or power beamed from the planet's surface, or a solar array in near orbit of their sun.
    They would have had the prefix codes, and some Voyager episodes make it clear shield beaming is more about knowing the shield characteristics and getting a sensor lock. Some of that implies if you can share internal sensor data it can help get around shields.

jackoverfull likes this.
  6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That scene has been considered a continuity violation for how Starfleet shields work for a long time now and there's no dialogue in the episode that either Scotty or Geordi learned how to beam through raised shields. But as I said, the shields work according to story need. ;)

7. Fateor

Fateor Captain Captain

That's the exact same thing I thought.

It was just like Troi's command test, and Burnham 100% would have failed because she's unable to comprehend that sometimes there's just no way to save everybody.

8. fireproof78

When it happens in old Trek it is vintage and we will happily accept. However, all Trek writers must attend my Star Trek Writing Seminar for Strict Canon Adherence (STWSSCA for short) in order to write correctly. Obviously, these writers did not.
    Cool. I look forward to her learning and growing. Keeps me coming back to Discovery.

Commander Troi and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  9. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Easy: The shields were reinforced at the sides facing the giant door, leaving the rest of the ship open for transporter beams.

jackoverfull likes this.
  10. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

Glass half full interpretation: 2 Star Trek shows are in the top 10.

I can't warp...factor 5.

Meh. 100 year old shields on the verge of collapsing.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021 at 4:24 AM
    Commander Troi and jackoverfull like this.
  11. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't be surprised if StarFleet had backdoor access codes to gain control of other ships within their own fleet if one should go rogue.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Well Kirk did in ST2.

13. fireproof78

And Picard with the Phoenix in The Wounded.

jackoverfull likes this.
  14. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We also dont know if there was or was not consequences to beaming through those old shields. There may have been a Thomas LaForge and Thomas Scott that died when the ship blew up
    1 6 3 0 9

cultcross and Commander Troi like this.
  15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Ambassador to Flavortown Moderator

Dilithium Miners, Warp Drive-Ins & Borg Hives
    Seriously. It's a weird take and quite the stretch to look at that and think it's something bad and representative of failure.

16. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is. At least this time having people upside down was justified, as opposed to last season’s ender, when it happened randomly and for no reason.
    by whom? We’ve seen objects and beams passing through shields they know the frequencies of since forever, honestly it’s much odder when it’s not possible than when it is.

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    By A LOT OF PEOPLE. This is not news.

18. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

In addition to it being good that two Star Trek shows are in the top ten, I think we all need to remember something:

Star Trek has always been and will always be a niche show. It's popular enough that it's been successful for 55 years, but it's never been a #1 kind of show. Because its fundamental ethos is just not as broadly appealing.

ST isn't about the fantasy of the noble rebel who tears down repressive institutions like SW. And it's not about the fantasy of being the smartest and most powerful person who almost always does the right thing, like Doctor Who or Superman or other superheroes. And it's not a propaganda fantasy about the moral superiority of U.S. state security services restoring apollonian order against dyonesian forces of chaos like NCIS or Law & Order. It's a show that simultaneously posits that existing social structures are primitive and morally inferior and need to be torn down... AND that new structures will need to be built. It's a show about space cops exploring new planets as a paramilitary unit instead of as individualistic heroes.

This is a vision that is endearing to a lot of people, but it will probably never be a #1 show. And that's okay.

19. Quinton

Quinton Captain Captain

Amazing typo

20. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

"Geordie: For a moment I thought I was in the transporter room wall.
    Scotty: Fir a moment, ye were."