Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x13 - "That Hope Is You, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Jan 6, 2021.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Excellent!

23.8%
  2. 9

17.4%
  3. 8

18.9%
  4. 7

11.7%
  5. 6

6.8%
  6. 5

4.9%
  7. 4

1.9%
  8. 3

3.4%
  9. 2

2.3%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

9.1%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When he's done there we got a clean up on aisle 10

2. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watched it. It's garbage. While watching the wife could tell I disliked it just be body movements. Discovery just isn't for me. I don't like any of the crew, except for maybe Saru, and I dislike Micheal the most.

Dar70 and jackoverfull like this.
  3. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That seems to be the general consensus outside of TrekBBS and a few other places.

The writing on this show borders on 'So bad it's good' territory. It's Star Trek: The Room. It's good for some unintentional laughs.

jackoverfull likes this.
  4. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

That’s the fan consensus on whatever the currently airing series happens to be since time immemorial.

PiotrB, SJGardner, antinoos and 6 others like this.
  5. Kzinti

Kzinti Captain Captain

yeah no the only consensus is that the turbolift cavern is really stupid

FreezeC77 and Kevman7987 like this.
  6. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Even then, there’s a lot of debate about exactly how stupid it is, whether it totally break the show or is merely a bit silly.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't know. I got a kick out of the turbolift fight scene. But I wasn't taking it seriously. I took at as what it was. Right before Book said "She's a Queen!", I wanted him to say "I! Have! Had! Enough! Of! You!"

So I can't get mock-outraged about it.

Masiral, DEWLine, Kraig and 4 others like this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was just silly to me. Did i find it odd? Yup. Did it ruin the show for me? Nope.

I genuinely feel like people don't know how to have fun with Star Trek any more. Or that they don't want to. That it is to be treated with the seriousness of a monastery.

Masiral, SolarisOne, Llywela and 2 others like this.
  9. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since Zora is in the computer, she probably saved Burnham right there. Maybe they kissed XD

IIRC, the melody had the distress call hidden in it, and it only became a melody because a star modulated it... but their analysis could've been wrong, of course XD

saddestmoon and jackoverfull like this.
  10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering Burnham vomited right after Zora must be a lousy kisser or had garlic tuna for lunch.

11. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that could be a way to bring her back, Michael’s words notwithstanding.
    As to why one would bring her back...?

that was my impression as well, hence my remark that she must know very little of human physiology: a few seconds underwater won’t kill you (but maybe it will kill an Orion)!

in Star Trek case, yes, since the early 00s or so. Other series seems to do well.

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, something seemed to negate the firepower of the carbines, so that instead of point-blank kill shots, all Osyraa achieved was some weird whitish crackling of the air. But the same happened to Burnham's shots, until it no longer did.

Her final three shots burned their way through the programmable matter. Would stun do that? Possibly - we have seen stun physically knock the victim across the room in, say, "Samaritan Snare". But Burnham is the show's designated homicidal maniac, and might have grown disillusioned with the power of stun during the early moments of the boss fight.

Well, there was a signal of unknown sort, distorted by the nebula: everybody could hear it was music at first, some filtering revealed it was the oddly pan-galactic lullaby, and Saru was the one who suggested a way of eliminating the nebula effect. But when the effect was eliminated, the music went away, too... Leaving just the Federation distress call, which then required further processing to yield the actual looped message.

Seems there was no "hiding" as such: it's just that the nebula was simultaneously emitting two things, the PSI-cries of Su'kal (which manifested as the music), and the distress call of his mother.

Why this would happen was unclear. The distress call was looping, but Su'kal had stopped screaming a century ago. Possibly the distress beacon was malfunctioning and adding the lullaby somehow, and the nebula or the dilithium planet then magnified the effect so that it gave everybody in the Milky Way an Ohrwurm.

But it's equally possible and probably more satisfactory (even if "weird, scientifically speaking") that the lullaby had been burned into the structure of the nebula or the planet by Su'kal's scream and thus was part of the effect that distorted the distress signal. Saru's filtering then would remove the music - and even without it, nobody would actually be hearing the music unless pointing their sensors at the nebula, but the "damage" had already been done with the original PSI-scream and the melody had been burned into everybody' minds during the Burn already. (Not in young Gray's, but he'd hear the melody from somebody else, like would most folks.)

Timo Saloniemi

13. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

The intent certainly seemed to be that Osyraa was dead. I suppose you could say she was just stunned and bring her back in Season Four but it would beg the question why would you want to?

She's hardly Khan Noonien Singh is she lets face it? She's your standard, forgettable villain. Just get another one.

Jadeb and jackoverfull like this.
  14. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Oh hi Mike

15. TimeIsAPredator

Really hope now that Burnham is captain she puts a guardrail around the wall that eats people

dupersuper, SolarisOne, Andru and 5 others like this.
  16. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Even earlier than that, if the Usenet posts left to us by the ancient ones are anything to go by.

Kzinti and Unicron like this.
  17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    SolarisOne, antinoos, Jinn and 2 others like this.
  18. TimeIsAPredator

ScottJ85 and Lord Garth like this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Star Trek is like the One Ring. People will not tolerate any apparent injury done to it.

SolarisOne and ScottJ85 like this.
  20. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

So how did Owo climb into the detached nacelle to plant that bomb then?