Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x10 - "Terra Firma, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Dec 16, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 -Excellent!

21.0%
  2. 9

21.4%
  3. 8

24.8%
  4. 7

15.2%
  5. 6

3.8%
  6. 5

4.3%
  7. 4

2.4%
  8. 3

2.4%
  9. 2

1.9%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

2.9%
  1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Been a part of Star Trek's fandom since 1969.

Search4 and jackoverfull like this.
  2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally saw for myself.
    That was fun.
    And it was a riff on the themes of "It's a Wonderful Life"...which is not a complaint on my part.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, it's so frustrating. Trek updated and it's ripped apart. It tries to recreate and it's ripped apart.

Give me more of the MU. Give me all of it, TOS inspired roots and all.

PiotrB, SJGardner, Andru and 2 others like this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That was a really good episode. I just wish they’d given us a teaser where Georgiu ended up.

Ketrick and Lord Garth like this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Most of the vintage threads in the ENT Forum have been pruned. Just like everywhere else on TrekBBS, you'll find very little before 2007.

But, I did find this thread from 2008 about "In the Mirror, Darkly". It's the earliest thread devoted to those episodes I could find. And I'm going to post a link to it here.

I do this to protect against Revisionist History. So I'm going to say people in that thread were not against doing episodes in the Mirror Universe. So that leads me to the conclusion that people complaining about it just don't like Disco's version of the Mirror Universe. Or they were blinded by nostalgia when seeing the TOS-style Defiant in "In the Mirror, Darkly", so anything they didn't like was forgiven. Or both.

jackoverfull likes this.
  6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My problem with Disco’s MU isn’t using it so much as ruining Lorca’s character by making it so he was only morally gray because he was from there, and putting it at a point on the story it really made no sense for the momentum.

When they use it like this it works perfectly fine.

Also notice Filipa never once had a problem with brightness after that one time.

jackoverfull likes this.
  7. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

So did a new alternate mirror timeline just get created where Georgiou dies before all the stuff in Season 1 happened?

Because that means Mirror Lorca could still be alive in this timeline...

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Captain Captain

I liked part 2 better. Not huge MU fan, but I see what they did and why. Kind of saw it coming last episode as well, but more at peace with it. Executed it pretty well.

Was convinced it was going GOF before Pt.1, but then got Q vibes. So that was a nice reveal.

I adore Michelle Yeoh. Not big on S31, but if anyone can make me like it, it is her.

9. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I AM THE GUARDIAN OF YULETIDE

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My wife and I watched both parts tonight.

The second he said “Guardian of Forever” I turned to her and said “That sound you just heard was a million TOS fans’ heads exploding.”

:lol:

I liked it a lot. They gave Philippa a variation of the Darth Vader ending.

Firebird, Search4, SJGardner and 3 others like this.
  11. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I appreciated the effort to redeem the MU Philippa, overall I'm just weary of the entire MU. I've come to the conclusion that it should have only ever existed as a single TOS episode. After DS9 ventured into the MU and it was discovered that MU Spock's admission to "consider" changes didn't lead to any change, then the MU became a dead end. It was just an excuse for the actors to vamp it up, like it was a costume party. This 2-parter did at least provide the framework in which to see Philippa's growth beyond the limited, 2-dimensional "evilness" of all MU characterizations, but I was already tired of the MU during the 1st season and was mostly unenthused watching it now.

Sisko_is_my_captain likes this.
  12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watching the ready room, Michelle Yeoh was interviewed and it was great. She started tearing up talking about it because well she was leaving, she loved the cast and crew.

Also, I rewatched the introduction of the GoF in TOS, yeah they used the audio from that episode, though they slowed it down a bit, I guess to match how the actor said it

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    burningoil and jackoverfull like this.
  13. fireproof78

I can appreciate how so many people are tired of the MU, but this point is one that I appreciate. The DS9 was a complete departure for what I wanted in the MU. So, Discovery is a breath of fresh air and a reminder of the comics MU.

burningoil and Lord Garth like this.
  14. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I liked it, just like last week a solid 7 for me.

Loved how much SMG seemed to relish playing the bad guy. Same for Wiseman playing Killey.

I think my issue with the Disco version of the MU is that they lose the campi-ness that TOS, DS9 and ENT seemed to interject. They traded it for pure nastiness. I mean, it was kinda silly (the uniforms just being the same but different) and over the top (exaggerated scars, villain monologuing, etc...) before. Now it’s just Burnham getting violently run through, eating other sentient species, “Terra Firma”, etc...

jackoverfull likes this.
  15. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

1. Liked the episode a lot.
    2. Loved the Guardian reveal, and reuse of the Guardian’s voice from COTEOF. It gave me chills. The GOF is one of my favorite Trek guest characters, right up there with Sarek and Q.
    3. Disappointed that we didn’t see Lorca after hearing his name about 638 times.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    SolarisOne and jackoverfull like this.
  16. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, the Guardian voice was great and his reasoning for being in a different place made sense. That Robert Meyers guy was full of shit.

and they didn’t re-design the thing.

SolarisOne, Firebird, Search4 and 5 others like this.
  17. jackoverfull

jackoverfull Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

this definitely never happened: Khan’s exile was a court decision and his fate would be in the records.

About the other lies you quote, the characters had very clear reasons for lying, here I’m really wonder why Burnham implies Georgiu is dead when she knows she’s pretty much alive “sonewhen”.

the episode was in season 4, though...

?! It only had the general shape, it looked like a blender mesh put together in 20 minutes and placed in the scene with no care about scaling it properly (or consistently: from some angles the base looks as tall as Georgiu!) or checking the shadows matched at all!

The whole point of the TOS episode was that Spock could still be reasoned with and even accepted to take in consideration that another way of living was possible.

very unclear but it’s a possibility.

18. Lord Garth

Which is what "Terra Firma" was about with Georgiou.

SolarisOne, Nyotarules, TPezz and 4 others like this.
  19. fireproof78

Yes, but this is Discovery. We all know we cannot have sympathy for Georgiou.

SolarisOne and PiotrB like this.
  20. Lord Garth

People who don't like this episode don't like it because what they see directly contradicts what they think. So they prefer to dismiss it because they don't want to give up their old talking points. Business as usual with all Star Trek made after a certain point.

SolarisOne, Masiral, PiotrB and 3 others like this.