Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x05 - "Die Trying"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 11, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Oh, nice!

15.9%
  2. 9

26.6%
  3. 8

31.3%
  4. 7

15.9%
  5. 6

4.7%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

0.9%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1 - Dead dull.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the Kazons just go rolling along.... ;)

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

If you ever need to have a BBQ, don't go shopping for charcoal. Give a Kazon a haircut and you'll be all set for a good long while.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This is true, and should not have happened, but to be fair, the Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites of ENT were all racist assholes. Would Shran have dared call Travis a “pinkskin”?

4. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Its a Starfleet tradition, McCoy was not afraid to call Kirk out on his shit

cooleddie74 likes this.
  5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Humans were the new kids on the block, it made sense they were viewed with suspicion since no one had ever heard of them or Earth, apart from the Vulcans.
    In the 22nd century every species were racist asshole, including humans.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  6. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

OR TNG would've been better without Picard, Data, or Worf. Although I must confess it probably could have done better without Wesley :guffaw::hugegrin:

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. alex08060

alex08060 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For for the next few seasons we get to see 32nd century post burn and they are trying to repaid the federation.

8. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm actually shocked the Kazon, knowing what little we do about them, managed to survive into the 32nd century. There seemed to be so much infighting between the different groups that they would never be able to align long enough to form a real society.

picardjean-luc likes this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

What you mean the idiots of the Delta Quadrant grew up? I'm shocked I tell you. I never thought it possible unless they just kept breeding and never changed their ways

10. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

The post-Burn universe seems to be a chaotic, Mad Max-like world for some races (Orions and Andorians) but not others (Earth). I suppose the Kazons could thrive as members of the space pirate confederation led by the former races.

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Episode 03x05 "Die Trying" Weekly reaction summary.

Fan reaction was up from last week's episode. TVTime viewers ranked the episode a 9.84/10. IMDB voters ranked it the top episode of the season so far with a 8.0/10 with almost 1,000 votes. TraktTV voters gave it a 78%.

Critical reaction on aggregator sites remained the same, there are two new positive critic reactions this week on RT, for a 100 rating.

Metrics: Discovery's success continues, The series moves to its highest position this week so far at #3 on Parrot Analytics, bested only by Stranger Things and Mandalorian. It's 35.7x avg series score is also its highest of the season. The series also ranks in the "exceptional" category for the last 30 days.

Discovery has been in the Worldwide Netflix top 10 list for 3 straight days, getting its highest score yet. It was 5th for the week.

12. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

She is a lot like " we are doing everything by the Starfleet rules" And the next episode she ignores them. But I have to say that it is a long time that I have seen the show, and I watched It all in a short time. Have you seen everything of Voyager?

And maybe I chance my mind on Burnham, if TNG ended after It's third season Picard wouldn't be a loved character the way he is now.

And Discovery has such a strong cast that I am more curious about the rest of the characters

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
  13. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you been to planet Earth lately?;)

Nyotarules likes this.
  14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

And when you have 26 episodes this season, you have more opportunity to do episodes that don't center around your main character. With half that number (13); that's harder to do, but hey they did it anyway this season in the second episode of the season.

15. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Why are the seasons shorter. Is it just a TV trend now or is it to focus resources on the remaining episodes ?

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

You'd have to ask the people currently producing shows for streaming services as well as Pay TV channels such as HBO, Showtime, etc.

It's just a fact that that's how certain shows are being produced these days. Up until about the year 1966, most television series produced for the three big networks at the time (CBS, NBC, ABC) had 30 episodes per season. In the years and decades after that, It was reduced to 26 episodes per season, then 24 episodes per season, then 22 episodes per season, etc.

It is what it is.

17. TimeIsAPredator

Fair enough. The 20+ seasons were too many and most shows ended up with awful filler episodes

18. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually think all the Berman Trek shows would have been much stronger if they’d had shorter runs with just the stronger episodes and all the crap sheared off (and each of those shows had an unfortunate number of mediocre/bad episodes). I’d keep DS9 exactly as it is mind you :)

fireproof78 and picardjean-luc like this.
  19. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Good point

20. TimeIsAPredator

You could easily cut 5 or 6 out of every season except maybe DS9 s7