Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 3x05 - "Die Trying"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Nov 11, 2020.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Oh, nice!

15.9%
  2. 9

26.6%
  3. 8

31.3%
  4. 7

15.9%
  5. 6

4.7%
  6. 5

1.9%
  7. 4

0.9%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

1.4%
  10. 1 - Dead dull.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SurvivorJoe

SurvivorJoe Lieutenant Red Shirt

I didn't catch it myself, but per twitter (and a couple other posters in this thread) there are a couple of shots where we see some other worlds mentioned.

Founders' Homeworld (First) and Founders' Homeworld (Fourth)
    [​IMG]

Kazon Clan Forum, Talax and Ocampa (as well as a Federation Deep Space Outpost 38 between them)
    [​IMG]

SJGardner, cooleddie74 and Tosk like this.
  2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    A solid 9. Not quite as good as last week's episode in story quality but a smashing success and all the callouts to the franchise were awesome. Why wasn't DSC this good last year? Or the year before? :p

Muji, jackoverfull and 1001001 like this.
  3. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Half of a great episode. here I my thoughts before I read through the comments.

• Is Georgiou going to restart the temporal cold war, traveling back to a time when she has more access to the mirror universe?
    • I wish we had a clearer images of the new ships.
    • Ideas from DS9 get pilfered, but Voyager gets name-checked. This is getting old.
    • Loved the tension between Saru and Burnham.
    • Saru is starting to speechify in the best Trek tradition.
    • But why was it Saru stays behind? It would make more sense for Burnham, especially given her drive to investigate the current situation.
    • Seed ship put me to sleep.
    • This episode felt very science-y compared to other Discovery episodes.
    • There was a strange moment, when the crew is in the corridor looking out at the ships in dock, when Stamets is standing next to the actor who well might be his body double/stand-in.
    • I think we should have seen a little bit more of Tal.
    • Holographic monitors that are synced to the patient's motion? Surely doctors hate this.

jackoverfull likes this.
  4. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally, a non-Enterprise gets a letter. Good going Voyager! It's funny how surprised Discovery's crew was about a letter designation. They weren't there for Star Trek IV or The Next Generation so it shouldn't be surprising.

Liked the Cronenberg cameo. I wonder how long until Georgiou merges with something in a transporter accident and turns into a monster, or a telepath (played by Michael Ironside) pops her head open?

Love the new Starfleet uniforms. I wish the Discovery crew would ditch those ugly ones they wear for the new ones. I never cared for these blue things with asymmetrical collars.

Not liking the descriptions of some of those 32nd century Starfleet ships. There would be no way to make a real life model or toy that looks nice. I know Eaglemoss, Polar Lights, or AMT/ERTL wouldn't be able to. Nacelles that aren't even connected to the hull? What the hell?

At least the Barzan guy stuck in mid-transport didn't have a constant, loud whine going on like Boimler did. That would have gotten annoying real quick.

When is Admiral Vance going to help the Discovery crew stop an evil mummy from resurrecting? Will that episode guest star Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz?

I hope it doesn't turn out that everyone knowing that same song is a Cylon. I don't know how the audience would take it if Adira was part of the final five. Jokes aside, I wonder how the lullaby ties into The Burn. The writers couldn't have telegraphed that any harder without outright stating it.

They again mentioned how Burnham is concerned about what happened to her mom. Since Mama Burnham was living in the future where Control murdered everyone, once Discovery prevented that from happening wouldn't she have been erased from existence along with that entire timeline?

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ahh, I knew he looked familiar!

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That was really good.

This is my favorite season so far.

7. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I liked this one a lot better than the last two.

funny that Burnham suggests a form of mutiny right after meeting with the CnC.

I’m starting to think Burnham caused the Burn with the Red Angel suit.

the Cronenberg/Georgiou stuff was fun.

jackoverfull likes this.
  8. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

That was probably the best amagalmation of "old Trek" and "nu Trek" we've seen. A solid episode, I rated it a 9 but I think upon rewatch I may up it to 10.

Ketrick and Borgminister like this.
  9. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

One of the things which caught my attention was that there were spatial and temporal variances in the wormhole which were not expected by the crew of the Discovery. I wonder if the wormhole had a connection to the Burn.

In the previous episode, we learned that the parents of Senna Tal sang the lullaby to him when he was a kid. The melody has been around for a while.

Ketrick likes this.
  10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Beautiful visuals, quintessential Trek motif, great spore drive room banter, interesting Terran exploration but I hope they don't overly cliche Georgiou's evident possession. Interesting walkway / room creation, that mysterious tune known by all, just a lot of stuff well packaged in 55 minutes. Second viewing to come, thinking a 9 despite the technobabble...

11. TheMadCloner

So some interesting stuff to speculate on:

- Did Cronenberg brainwash Georgiou?

- What connection does the melody have to everything?

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Gave this one an 8. A definite improvement over the previous episode. Nice return to Starfleet. My, how things have changed! Nice proving mission for them. Really enjoyed this episode.

The CGI was particularly poor in the scenes with the other starships and space station. Looked cartoonish. That was a surprise for this series.

I'm really curious where this is heading!

jackoverfull likes this.
  13. Borgminister

Damn you and your succinctness!

Markonian and TheMadCloner like this.
  14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking that too. After the burn, different fragments of the Federation evolved in different directions. However, they each thought of themselves as *the* Federation.

jackoverfull likes this.
  15. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I enjoyed this episode. Last week's was better, but this was just fine.

cooleddie74 and Borgminister like this.
  16. Borgminister

All things considered, and it being Trek, last week's episode was groundbreaking.

ThreeEdgedSword and TheMadCloner like this.
  17. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I really liked last week's ep. But what is this stuff about Gray?

18. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I wonder if at the end we saw Cronenberg in a holographic Georgiou suit and the real deal is in a prison cell some where.

He would be there to spy for the CnC and any odd behavior could be explained away as “eh, it’s just Phillippa.”

There was something going on with his glasses.

19. Borgminister

There. Are. 4. Lights!

SJGardner and TheMadCloner like this.
  20. TheMadCloner

Yeah, he's an advanced, sentient Section 31 hologram himself, and the glasses act as a barrier to the blinking glitch.*

*If I get this right do I get credit for breaking it first? :D

Search4 likes this.