Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x10 - "The Red Angel"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Leaps and bounds ahead of anything Trek has done before.

10.6%
  2. 9

24.2%
  3. 8

28.0%
  4. 7

14.8%
  5. 6

8.5%
  6. 5

3.8%
  7. 4

3.4%
  8. 3

2.5%
  9. 2

0.8%
  10. 1 - Oh boy, what a mess.

3.4%
  1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How tall in Ash? He was towering over Michael in their scenes

Thowra likes this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I re-watched "New Eden" last night. At the end of the episode, we see the Red Angel in the video footage from the 21st Century.

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, c'mon bruh.

4. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I haven't seen this episode, but I have read the review of this episode. I'm going to say, base on past episodes that do with the Red Angle. That it is a deception episode created by Section 31 and we won't know about the Red Angle until episode 13 or 14.

5. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Sorry Bro... just about everything you wrote is wrong. Watch...

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the same thing, but there's no reason for the crew to assume that. From their point of view, three of the four visitations (or was it two of three? I don't recall how many times it's shown up) revolve around Michael and the other one doesn't. That's a hell of an assumption to risk Michael's life on. Especially since Spock didn't even mention New Eden, and presented his hypothesis as though it accounted for all of the sightings.

Jadeb, lawman and Deledrius like this.
  7. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I don't think I'd put it past this show.

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

What an episode, packed full of plot and character development!

GREAT
    * Oh the funeral was so well done, and who knew Saru could sing? Beautiful.
    * Mirror Universe Pansexuals represent! That whole uncomfortable scene between Stamets, Culber, Tilly, and Georgiou was perfectly executed, IMO.
    * Tilly, as always, especially the conference interruption scene. I mean, she's right, the doors just open, there's no knocking. Also, that revelation that it was Michael was not surprising (I think many of us figured as much), but she delivered it well.
    * Finding out Michael's parents were a part of Section 31 would have ended up in the "meh" or "blergh" category, but Michael punched Leland in the face twice, so that gets a "great" from me.
    * Spock and Michael's heart to heart in the gym. Finally we get to see them reconcile, and none too soon because...
    * Hot damn that was a gutsy move! Using Michael as bait?
    * Georgiou and Michael: when Phillipa touches Michael on the shoulder, and Michael puts her own hand on Georgiou's, that got to me. I adore Michelle Yeoh, and she's the only reason why I haven't entirely tanked Section 31, because she is just that damn awesome and holds it together all by herself.
    * Leland getting Mission Impossibled. It wasn't a surprise for me, but only because I had a feeling he was going to get an impromptu eye exam. That was in bad taste, but I do not apologize.
    * So we find out the Red Angel is Michael's MOM?! Didn't see it coming! Now I can't wait to see what's next!

GOOD
    * Culber talking with Admiral Cornwell about feeling misplaced, about feeling lonely and disconnected was a nice interpersonal moment. In addition, my opinion of Cornwell continues to rise, as I find her character to be a generally principled one, someone who really does seek to do good. Of course, I could be wrong. We'll see, won't we?

MEH
    * Ash and Michael. I'm sorry, I know some folks like that ship, but I just find it so forced. I rated it meh because it's a matter of taste, but still. Meh.

BLERGH
    * No Blerghs this week. Seriously.

Well done, all around. From the look to the characters, the advancing plot and the details in between, we're really starting to see everything pay off from earlier in the season. This is easily the best episode of the season, in my opinion. It's exactly what I ask for in a Star Trek episode, and it delivers. It gets a Genuine 9/10.

9. Vger23

I liked the development that Culber got this week. Wilson Cruz is really good. It was fascinating watching him on The Ready Room and learning how much effort he put into preparing for this season.

SJGardner, Gonzo, Jadeb and 5 others like this.
  10. Gilora

Gilora Commander Red Shirt

Airiam downloaded all her personal memories before leaving the Discovery so that there would be room for all of the sphere's AI tech info.

11. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

Wait, is the consensus that Leland is dead? I took it that he was infected and would be reanimated by Control. Something about the effect they did on his eyeball. Or did I misread that?

I kind of hope that's the end of him, as having another double agent after Airiam might be a bit much for me.

12. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

She was probably just killing time....literally. :wtf:

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let me just point out that it's entirely possible that the early ID of the Red Angel was Burnham could be true. There's no reason to think all past appearances of the Red Angel happened in chronological order. She very well may take over the Future Suit from her mom.

14. Vger23

Parts of the episode were a "6/7" but other parts were an "8/9," particularly the performances, the Spock/Burnham discussion, everything with Michelle Yeoh, and the last 10 mins.

It was a bit of a schizo experience as a result.

But, ultimately, the characters and performances, coupled with a satisfying reveal, push this to an 8. Pretty damn fun. Makes me want next week to be right now.

PiotrB, LizStargaryen and eschaton like this.
  15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Yawn.

Cold Fusion, SolarisOne and Campe like this.
  16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The suit's more of an Iron Spider ;)

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Burnham's mom looked a little Asian. Looking it up, the actress playing her, Sonja Sohn, is half Korean.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I guess I can't blame her. If I could time travel, I'd go back to The War of 1812 to see what Napoleon was up to. :shrug:

19. willg

willg Lieutenant Red Shirt

I didn't realize it was her until the credits. She was great in The Wire.

20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Section 31 using Mirror universe computers? It has a male voice