Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 2x10 - "The Red Angel"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Mar 21, 2019.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Leaps and bounds ahead of anything Trek has done before.

10.7%
  2. 9

24.0%
  3. 8

28.3%
  4. 7

15.0%
  5. 6

8.6%
  6. 5

3.4%
  7. 4

3.4%
  8. 3

2.1%
  9. 2

0.9%
  10. 1 - Oh boy, what a mess.

3.4%
  1. KennyB

KennyB Rear Admiral Premium Member

Wait......I was still confused when the mask came off........how did they telegraph it again, for us slow folks?

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Burnham's parent's, who are no longer around, were working on a time-travel suit that requires massive amount of energy, near a supernova, which produces massive amounts of energy.

King Daniel Beyond likes this.
  3. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Hell, I didn't guess it was Mom. And it didn't bother me that it was. I want to see where this will go from here. It's kind of hard to judge without seeing what happens in the next couple of eps.

4. gblews

gblews Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Spock thought he might be held responsible for Burnham's death (if she died) because though the others planned to rescue Burnham before she died Spock's plan was to prevent that rescue and allow Burnham to die.
    They had essentially already done that. Present Burnham knew that all Discovery wanted was to talk to the RA yet that didn't stop future Burnham from doing what she was doing. Thus they rightly concluded that other methods of stopping the RA had to be employed.

I also think you're missing the fact that all future Burnham would know of the plan was that no rescue for Burnham was forthcoming and that Burnham's survival was dependent upon the RA entering the trap and saving Burnham. That is why Spock's plan was so much more important and appropriate for the mission than the rescue plan.

Spock's plan left almost nothing to chance and gave the RA only one choice; rescue her past self or cease to exist.

Further, the fact that Spock told Burnham that he might kill her, was even more incentive for future Burnham to willingly enter the trap in order to save herself. Actually makes perfect sense if you think it through.

Gilora, Ovation and Alan Roi like this.
  5. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So you acknowledge this, and to you this is somehow better than calling it fanfic? That's exactly what (bad) fanfic does... it takes familiar tropes, and tries to work them one more time.

It was? How? It had communicated with Spock to rescue her as a child, and happened to appear when she was trapped on the asteroid, and otherwise nothing it did had anything to do with her. Spock's assertion that it did seemed like a huge and unwarranted intuitive leap.

Search4 likes this.
  6. gblews

gblews Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was stated in the previous episode that “scans” had shown that the RA “was” Burnham. In tonight’s episode Culber tlls Burnham that her and her mother had similarities on a mitochondrial level. There was no question that there was a very close connection between Burnham and the RA.

7. Maurice

Maurice ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

I realize I'm late replaying to this but... what? How can you say "Too Long; Didn't Read" about your own writing?

Nerys Myk, PiotrB and Ovation like this.
  8. Longinus

That's how it is commonly used. It is a humorous way to title a brief summary of the main points.

lawman likes this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Yes, I am. Otherwise, a lot of regular fiction is fan fiction.

saladdays likes this.
  10. Maurice

Maurice ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

Never seen it used that way. I mean like ever. In my experience it's commonly deployed as a "you went on excessively".

Nerys Myk likes this.
  11. lawman

lawman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, yeah. It is. (Conversely, to be fair and avoid treating fanfic strictly as a pejorative, some fan fiction is better than a lot of regular published fiction...)

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Some times. But, I'm biased since my wife writes fan fiction. However, since I commonly see it used a pejorative I find it rather an odd remark to call something "fan fiction" when it happens in all fiction...it makes little sense to me. :shrug:

Nerys Myk likes this.
  13. Longinus

Wiktionary:
    tl;dr

(chiefly Internet slang) Initialism of too long; didn’t read. Used to indicate that one did not read a (long) text, or to introduce a short summary of an overly long text.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I'm still wondering if there was a major change in direction again part way through the filming process, honestly.... we will see.

This could explain Lorca in Season 1 as well - he seemed downright mellow and heroic at times, and was able to pass for longer then most MU denizens should have.

I honestly expected more time shenanigans - like Michael *actually dying* only to narratively have a little rewind.

Vger23 likes this.
  15. Phoenix219

What part?

16. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

From Memory Alpha:
    Leland claims that Burnham's parents were working on a theory that certain technological leaps were not happenstance, but the result of time travel. This resonates with the Star Trek: Voyager two-parter "Future's End" and "Future's End, Part II", which plot centers around a businessman, who revolutionized late-20th century computer science by stealing technology from the wreck of a 29th century timeship. Another of such intervention occured when Montgomery Scott gave Nichols the formula for transparent aluminum in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Phoenix219

Thanks guys. Never seen a lot of Voyager. I'm a 23rd century kind of guy. Appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Turtletrekker likes this.
  19. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was the weird Georgiou/Stamets sexuality conversation confirmation that in the Trek universe, sexuality is the result of environment and not genetics?

BillJ and Phoenix219 like this.
  20. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

I have no specific expertise on the matter in real life, but I would tend to expect like many aspects of an individual it's probably a combination of both, with genetic factors providing potential predispositions, and environmental factors from gestation onward shaping their expression?

[EDITED TO ADD: In any case, we know there is a biological difference as well between Mirror and Prime; the sensitivity to sudden changes in light was said to be one in "Vaulting Ambition" (DSC).]

-MMoM:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019