Spoilers Star Trek: Discovery 1x02 - "Battle at the Binary Stars"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Commander Richard, Sep 24, 2017.

?

Rate the episode...

1. 10 - Awesome!

16.7%
  2. 9

15.4%
  3. 8

27.9%
  4. 7

14.7%
  5. 6

9.3%
  6. 5

5.1%
  7. 4

2.6%
  8. 3

3.8%
  9. 2

1.9%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

2.6%
  1. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not necessarily. Maybe that's the point. She is suppose to be unlikable.

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

The After Trek show did somewhat go into how the writers are approaching Burnham's character. Her actions are certainly meant to be viewed as wrong by the audience. Her arc is about someone who has worked towards captaining her own ship all her life, only to destroy that dream just before it's about to become reality. Trying it with logic has failed for her. Trying it with emotion has failed for her. And now she questions everything she knows.

I don't think you are supposed to dislike her. But in the prologue at the very least her character can be seen as ambivalent by the viewer.

Gonzo, cultcross and Borgminister like this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is the problem with these kinds of characters. She was right (about the Klingons) and Georgiou had to be the idiot (Yeoh deserved better), in order for Burnham to mutiny.

Gonzo and Mad Jack Wolfe like this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm actually not sure she was right. The outright attack would have given the Klingon leader exactly what he wanted...a reason to go to war with the Federation. It wouldn't have made the Klingons just turn around and go away with respect.

Honestly, I think neither Georgiou nor Burnham were right...Saru (spelling?) was the correct one. Retreat would have left the Klingons with nothing at that point.

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

No Georgiou wasn't portrayed as an idiot here in any way. She had her view of the situation and the ONLY reason we the audience know what the Klingons are up is because we're seeing them act (something none of the Starfleet characters know.)

Let me put it this way: I don't think IF Burnham had succeed in giving the Klingons a "Vulcan Hello" it would have changed anything - T'Kuvma still would have attacked (probably claiming "Well, see the Federation WANTS a glorious fight - we must give them one then AS KLINGONS!"

The plot point was Burnham truly believed:
    1) It would work.
    2) In her mind it was the ONLY WAY to save the ship and everyone on it she loved.

Georgiou believed what the Admiral believed - that this situation could be defused diplomatically; and ONLY if the Klingons decided to become the aggressors by their actions, then Starfleet would have to respond in kind to protect themselves.

Georgiou was never portrayed as an idiot. (IMO)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  6. BillJ

I disagree. Because she is openly ignoring the evidence of prior contacts with the Klingons.

7. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think there is a winning move in this case. Hit the Klingons first, and you've proved them right. The Federation is aggressive and war is necessary. Retreat, and the Federation is weak, ripe for conquest. When someone wants war, they can find whatever justification they need.

Sci, Longinus and Vger23 like this.
  8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I gave that some thought and I think there are two points there in Georgiou's favor:

1. I don't believe Burnham adequately explains her source
    2. Georgiou seems to believe that Burnham's prejudices (and even previous injuries) are interfering with her judgement.

So...I wasn't as harsh on her for that.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

However, she's sticking to the primary training and institutional philosophy we're supposed to accept as foundational to Starfleet. That's not something easily discarded, especially on a hunch. It may reveal a lack of "outside the box" thinking but it doesn't equate with idiocy. Galileo was correct in his struggle with church doctrine regarding the heliocentric model but largely argued from faith rather than evidence. Burnham is doing the same thing (without ultimately being right--Saru was correct, in the end).

gblews and Sci like this.
  10. BillJ

Yet had no issue dropping that training and philosophy when she used a corpse to bomb T'Whothehellcares ship.

11. Mad Jack Wolfe

I may have to watch episode 2 after all... :vulcan:

12. BillJ

It didn't really do much for me. But you may like it, or may not.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anyone considered that Michael is imagining Sarek?

Real time communication from the Federation rim, that needs a relay station, in front of the rubble of a relay station that was just destroyed.

Impossible telepathy, millions of times more powerful than should be possible.

I mean, maybe she was cray from having her dna mostly unspooled, or maybe Sarek left a clone of himself inside her, to make sure she didn't get up to no bad.

She could just be talking to herself.

14. Mad Jack Wolfe

I saw a clip of T'Kfuivygtckvhdgjjfygdh exhorting the high council, and it sounded more like mewling than forceful oratory. Maybe if I skip his bits, I can get through the rest. Then I can say I at least gave DSC a fair shake.

15. BillJ

I'm hoping episode three kicks things in a more interesting direction.

16. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think for the Federation to somehow earn the Klingons respect as a fellow warrior race so they fold their tents and go home then the Federation would have to hit them a lot harder than just the Shenzhou and her compliment of weapons.

I think the more likely results of Burnhams actions would've been the Klingons saying "Hey they have some fight in them after all! Game on!". So to speak.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  17. BillJ

The Klingon ship didn't seem all that sound. One torpedo split it in two with the shields down.

Gonzo and cooleddie74 like this.
  18. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    It was a ceremonial vessel based on what appears to be an ancient design, retrofitted with an early cloaking device and armed with old weapons. Without the Klingon fleet to support it in combat it probably wouldn't have lasted very long unless it cloaked and hid somewhere.

BillJ likes this.
  19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It as a salvage job.

Imagine restoring a 57 Chevy with your kid.

The Federation crew had to figure out what a cloak was on the fly,

They were completely ignorant.

However T'Kuvma was a bit of a shit "Do they (the fFderation) think that I am so pathetic that i can't make my ships invisible (Even though these humans had never seen a ship turn invisible before)!!!???"

Weird.

The writers were almost acing like the audience had never seen an invisible ship either.

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    From Starfleet's perspective most officers probably had no clue what cloaking devices were or how they worked. Any Romulan cloaking technology encountered by the United Earth Starfleet and ships like Enterprise NX-01 would likely have been classified or downplayed as rumor, and in either case Federation officers living 100 years later wouldn't have a history of encountering cloaking technology except as old, unproven stories or theory.