• Welcome! The TrekBBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.
    If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Spoilers Speculation - S.2 legacy character (Noga Landau interview) - who is it?

  • Thread starter Discovery McDiscoveryFace
  • Start date
It's also worth noting about ten years ago or so there was a DS9 main cast reunion at a convention, Meaney and Alexander Siddig were the only ones who did not show. Granted, that also means nothing, they could have had other commitments that prevented it, and Siddig did recently show up on Lower Decks. Still, it's worth noting.

Siddig and Meaney are the only two who've kept quite busy post-DS9, so it was likely scheduling conflicts. Indeed, Siddig became down to do just about anything Trek related (including doing dramatic recreations of fanfic) when he wasn't occupied during covid lockdown.
 
I would say it’s unlikely to be any character that they couldn’t justify within the context of the show. So, suggestions of Yar, etc., make little to no sense and stand no chance of happening.

Archer would be a good shout — his character has a logical reason to show up in some sort of holographic recording, etc. Would be very welcome too, for this ENT fan (my favourite Trek 👍🏼).

Honestly, anyone in the VOY cast could be used, too. They can easily do a flashback with the Doctor to a time where he was with someone from that cast when they were the age they look now in real life.

A Dax would be fun, and would certainly fix what I think was a huge error in not having the Adira character be a Dax host. That might be the biggest missed opportunity of this modern era of Trek. Even if they pulled the trigger on bringing the character back now, it’s still going to rub me up the wrong way that they didn’t do it in the third season of Discovery.

My money would be on Archer. But you never know!
 
Honestly, anyone in the VOY cast could be used, too. They can easily do a flashback with the Doctor to a time where he was with someone from that cast when they were the age they look now in real life.

The problem with VOY is we've seen most of them already. Janeway and Chakotay were on Prodigy. Seven and Tuvok were on Picard. Paris and Kim were on Lower Decks. Neelix was in Very Short Treks And, of course, The Doctor is accounted for. So really, only Torres and Kes are unaccounted for.

Thinking about it more over the last few days, I think it has to either be Archer or O'Brien. Those would be the big guests who would be somewhat surprising, but make some sense within universe, even if just as a holo-recreation.
 
Interesting short interview with Alex Kurtzman that @Laura Cynthia Chambers posted in the General Discussion thread.

Apparently Kurtzman would like to bring back Scott Bakula as Archer for the 60th anniversary. It’s not clear if he means as part of Starfleet Academy or a separate project.

EDIT: Adding some context: Watching the accompanying video interview that piece of info comes from I realize that we already had someone post that a few days ago. Seems like the article made a bigger deal out of it than it actually was. The interviewer specifically asked about bringing back the character and Kurtzman responds that he loves the actor and that he would gladly do it. So not necessarily a peak into what they actually plan to do. ;)
 
Siddig and Meaney are the only two who've kept quite busy post-DS9, so it was likely scheduling conflicts. Indeed, Siddig became down to do just about anything Trek related (including doing dramatic recreations of fanfic) when he wasn't occupied during covid lockdown.
I just recently find out that Siddig birth name is actually:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi
 
I just recently find out that Siddig birth name is actually:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi
I worked for a charity some years ago and visited Sudan (where Sid gets his swarthy looks from). I wrote a perfect single foolscap/A4 page summary and itinerary for each day's plan; I filled the page with as much detail as I could but still to keep it to one side so it could be pinned. however as we had governmental project partners, the protocol was that full names had to be included so they were added to my document, and needless to say about 20% of the text spilled over to the next page.
 
I worked for a charity some years ago and visited Sudan (where Sid gets his swarthy looks from). I wrote a perfect single foolscap/A4 page summary and itinerary for each day's plan; I filled the page with as much detail as I could but still to keep it to one side so it could be pinned. however as we had governmental project partners, the protocol was that full names had to be included so they were added to my document, and needless to say about 20% of the text spilled over to the next page.
I am a hermit , so I never go travel. But Sudan isn't exactly a good country to visit.
 
I just recently find out that Siddig birth name is actually:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi
I am a hermit , so I never go travel. But Sudan isn't exactly a good country to visit.
You got the idea from my avatar? :guffaw:
I have no clue if these are supposed to be jokes or some kind of perfomance art, but I don‘t see the relevance to this thread. If you don‘t have anything to contribute to the topic, don‘t post. Otherwise we will have to consider this spam.
 
I am a hermit , so I never go travel. But Sudan isn't exactly a good country to visit.

I think you've explained your own knowledge deficit perfectly in that sentence.

But let me tell you about my trips to Sudan.

Sadly the country has been irrevocably damaged in the last few years by war; it has often if not always had a history of internal war. Something that has its roots in the incursion by foreign colonial powers which created artificial and arbitrary regional and political boundaries which usurped natural ethnic and tribal ones. That created population displacement and the ethnic strife that ensured and endured.

I was there with colleagues, some of us paid and some of us volunteers, to support expansion of knowledge and curriculum growth in a specific area with a broad aim of improving animal and human health and enabling moves in animal welfare and health which would by effect, save human lives.

We worked with NGOs, local grassroot groups, academia, clinicians and civil servants.

We went from meeting to meeting to events, and in later projects, classes and workshops.

We were welcomed, we were always looked after. People would sit in a room shivering (and watching their own electric bill rise) because the AC was set to a comfort level to suit us.

We were fed. We were socialised. We got taken to see the Sudanese pyramids, older than the Egyptian ones. We had them to ourselves.

We wen to a market where I bought an antique engraved railway water jug that was 100 years old to take home as a souvenir. It cost me 2 dollars.

Through a cascade of meeting people and friends of friends, we were taken to pop in to a wedding, introduced to the groom, and his parents put a takeaway food box together from the buffet that kept us fed at home for 3 days. This from complete strangers.

The professors, students and civil servants worked and engaged with us in an open minded way and, without a lot of academic baggage (Sudan was fairly isolated) they could see clear paths to problems which we couldn't. We brought the learning from them back home with us.

ATMs weren't working to foreign cards at the time, so we took cash in with us each time in Dollars. We spent about $60 per person over each 2 week visit. Things were cheaper, yes, but this low amount was from the fact that we literally were not allowed to pay for anything - everything was a gift, a kindness. We were embarrassed all the time (and we put much of the unused subsistence allowance into donations for some of the local projects).

So I found a good country when I visited. Despite the history of civil war, and suffering, famine and struggle, I found that travel and being open, broadens the mind and helps formulate an accurate opinion.

Which is a lot more Star Trek than what you've come out with.....
 
I think you've explained your own knowledge deficit perfectly in that sentence.

But let me tell you about my trips to Sudan.

Sadly the country has been irrevocably damaged in the last few years by war; it has often if not always had a history of internal war. Something that has its roots in the incursion by foreign colonial powers which created artificial and arbitrary regional and political boundaries which usurped natural ethnic and tribal ones. That created population displacement and the ethnic strife that ensured and endured.

I was there with colleagues, some of us paid and some of us volunteers, to support expansion of knowledge and curriculum growth in a specific area with a broad aim of improving animal and human health and enabling moves in animal welfare and health which would by effect, save human lives.

We worked with NGOs, local grassroot groups, academia, clinicians and civil servants.

We went from meeting to meeting to events, and in later projects, classes and workshops.

We were welcomed, we were always looked after. People would sit in a room shivering (and watching their own electric bill rise) because the AC was set to a comfort level to suit us.

We were fed. We were socialised. We got taken to see the Sudanese pyramids, older than the Egyptian ones. We had them to ourselves.

We wen to a market where I bought an antique engraved railway water jug that was 100 years old to take home as a souvenir. It cost me 2 dollars.

Through a cascade of meeting people and friends of friends, we were taken to pop in to a wedding, introduced to the groom, and his parents put a takeaway food box together from the buffet that kept us fed at home for 3 days. This from complete strangers.

The professors, students and civil servants worked and engaged with us in an open minded way and, without a lot of academic baggage (Sudan was fairly isolated) they could see clear paths to problems which we couldn't. We brought the learning from them back home with us.

ATMs weren't working to foreign cards at the time, so we took cash in with us each time in Dollars. We spent about $60 per person over each 2 week visit. Things were cheaper, yes, but this low amount was from the fact that we literally were not allowed to pay for anything - everything was a gift, a kindness. We were embarrassed all the time (and we put much of the unused subsistence allowance into donations for some of the local projects).

So I found a good country when I visited. Despite the history of civil war, and suffering, famine and struggle, I found that travel and being open, broadens the mind and helps formulate an accurate opinion.

Which is a lot more Star Trek than what you've come out with.....
Okay, and what about the post immediately before yours let you think this additional off-topic contribution was welcome? Let‘s talk about possible legacy cameos in SFA. For everything else, go somewhere else.
 
I just recently find out that Siddig birth name is actually:

Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi
There's some interviews with him where he talks about his name, and how it was notable for him when he was able to change his screen name from "Alexander Siddig" to "Siddig el Fadil".

It is notable that Hollywood has biases around ethnic names. A "Chloe Bennet" gets better roles than "Chloe Wong".

Also fun: Interviews with Arnold Schwarzenegger on this topic. His agents wanted this screen name to be "Arnold Strong". He just said no.:lol:
 
If you are not already a member then please register an account and join in the discussion!

Sign up / Register


Back
Top