So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

I don't do paid streaming services. And I'm not really all that keen on miniseries in general. I suppose there's a remote chance I might buy the DVD set at some point, assuming one comes out, but (like the two Guardians of the Galaxy movies) it's something I'd most likely buy used, on Alibris.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek Section 31 Disavowed by David Mack

3. Veeza

Veeza Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ex Machina is done (took way longer than normal due to this thing called work happening again on site post lockdown!)

This book was amazing - it flowed form TMP like it was a natural sequel and I am looking forward to re-watching the movie with the details in this book in mind. I also found my self identifying with many of the characters personal struggles as I often find it hard to find that 'balance' between work and life.
    @Christopher delivers again!

Right The More Things Change is next before I reach the first point where arrows lead back to previous novels so I will have to think about where I go from there.

Comics
    FF Vol 1 #5
    Incredible Hulk Vol 1 #1-#3

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Expanse, Book 3 - Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey

A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine

5. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

Coda 1. About 100 pages in.

6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

What do you think of the Expanse books?

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really struggled to get through the first half of the first book several times, but once the stories finally converged, I was hooked. I finally see what the hype is about now.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

They just keep getting better from there. An incredibly consistently impressive series.

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

You’ve got Spider-Island coming up. That’s a good one.
    You can’t go wrong with ASM. Only comic series worth buying these days. Unlike the others that reset every year, they actually use the 50 year lore it’s built and build more meaningful stories from it. Makes a more rewarding read.

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I agree. And in a few weeks the last Expanse book comes out

11. youngtrek

youngtrek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished reading Star Trek: Voyager: A Celebration (2020, from Eaglemoss/Hero Collector Books; writers credited as by Ben Robinson and Mark Wright, with additional material by William Potter and Matt McAllister). Released in conjunction with (and “celebrating”) the twenty-fifth anniversary of the premiere of the television series on January 16, 1995.

One the best book ever released specifically about “Star Trek: Voyager”. (There have been at least two previously released books—from while the tv series was still in production and had just completed its run—that are also quite good: Star Trek: Voyager: A Vision of the Future by Stephen Edward Poe (1998), and the Star Trek: Voyager Companion by Paul Ruditis (2003)).

Star Trek: Voyager: A Celebration includes newly conducted interviews with all of the primary cast of actors (with the exception of Jennifer Lien who played Kes the first three seasons; Lien no longer does interviews, although the book does include archival interview quotes from Lien and comments from her co-stars on their experiences working with her on the series.)

The book also gives two-page spotlights on key episodes, and articles on the development of the series, its opening titles sequence, important behind the scenes personnel like series co-creators and producers Michael Pillar and Jeri Taylor, the various aliens featured on the series (the Kazon, the Vidiians, the Hirogen, the Borg, and Species 8472), the various departments—art department, VFX (visual effects), the writers and directors, make up department (including details on Neelix’s elaborate alien prosthetics that had to be applied and removed every day), costumes, and musical score composers)—designing the USS Voyager and Delta Flyer shuttle and a gallery of the various alien and other Starfleet vessels seen, and several familiar elements of the series like landing the ship (a first for a Starfleet starship on a Star Trek series) and Seven of Nine’s famous silver “catsuit”, and “Captain Proton” holodeck program.

When I first say the announcement that this book was coming, I knew that I would want to read it but at the same time thought to myself, “How interesting could another book on Star Trek: Voyager really be?” It turns out, pretty interesting (if done well).

The next “Celebration” book due out from Eaglemoss is Star Trek: A Celebration, about the original 1966-1969 “Star Trek” television series. Again, I’m a bit skeptical as there have been oodles of books written on the original series. Still, perhaps Eaglemoss might be able to surprise me again and give us a different take on an already very well covered subject. We’ll see.

I gave Star Trek: Voyager: A Celebration” four out of five stars on GoodReads. Highly recommended.

David Young

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been making my way through Eye of the World, but I've been finding it a little slow, so I decided to start one more book. I debated for a little while before settling on Nueromancer by William Gibson, I've been hearing about this one for a long time, and decided to finally give it a try.