So, Laris or Beverly

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Jedi Marso, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who would you like to see old Picard end up with, and why?

The Crusher/Picard ship was always toyed with in TNG, but other than the alternate timeline of the finale, the show refused to engage on it. We saw Picard hook up and get into relationships with a few other women over the course of the series, and Beverly had her share of relationships as well, including the much-maligned one with a plasma ghost. ;)

The Laris thing seemed more like an unnecessary plot point, but there could have been something there at the end of S2. However, even in interviews, Orla Brady said that the ending remains open- hinting between the lines that she won't be back in S3, leaving the door open for the Picard/Crusher thing.

So, what is your preference? Laris, Crusher, some other unknown third party, or does Picard go MGTOW in the end?

Personally, I like Orla Brady, I like hot Romulan and Vulcan girls, and since Picard and Beverly never did end up getting together, I'd like to see an acknowledgement that this particular ship has sailed, and see Picard ride off into the starset with Laris.

Opinions?

Whizkid likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither. Bring back Vash.

3. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can you imagine the indignant fan screams? I want to see it just for that. :evil:

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I rarely ship and bringing back a past character is a general pet peeve of mine. But, Vash actually made sense for Picard's love interest.

5. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After getting all hot and bothered on meeting her younger 2024 version, Picard ultimately decides to get together with Guinan.

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Both, plus Admiral Daren, retired. It's the 26th century ;)

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Laris. And I'll tell you why: If something was going to happen between Picard and Beverly, it would've by now. They're friends, keep it that way. Plus it's kind of scummy to go after your best friend's wife, even if he's been dead for decades. There are certain things you just don't do.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Whether it's Beverly, Laris, or someone else, it's just going to be contrived anyway, so what does it matter?

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  9. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Different degrees of contrived. ;)

I'm not sold on Picard/Laris either. I don't know what she sees in him or what he sees in her, but I could take it or leave it. Whereas with Picard/Crusher, I've already said why I think it's wrong. I'm pretty sure it's an Unpopular Opinion, but it is what it is.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

After the last rewatch I was pretty sick of Beverly's self-righteousness and general annoying-ness, so Laris more than ever.

And c'mon, Orla Brady :adore:

Whizkid, Jedi Marso and Allyn Gibson like this.
  11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Laris, then Vash, then Beverly. That's my ranking.

12. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's the 24th to 25th century. Polygamy should be legal.

Why can't Picard shack up with EVERY love interest he's ever had and marry all of them?

As long as he's honest about his love towards everybody, why can't he marry every single one of them?

Heck add in Seven & Raffi to Picard's harem as well =D

In total JLP can probably marry all these lovely ladies:
    Beverly Crusher
    Laris
    Vash
    Nella Darren
    Phillipa Louvois
    Marta Banatides
    Jenice Manheim
    Anij
    Seven
    Raffi

Sisko_is_my_captain likes this.
  13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I feel that if NextGen were being written today, Riker and Troi would have been explicitly a polyamorous couple, together but also free to pursue relationships with others. Which is sort of how it went, but they were portrayed in a serial monogamous way.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would have been "scummy" if Picard had gone after Beverly while Jack was still alive, but after Jack's death it would not be.

I mean, Jack wouldn't want Beverly to be alone for the rest of her life, and I'm sure he'd be thrilled to know that she ended up with someone he considered a close friend.

15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For some reason, I find myself thinking of the "bigamy" gag between Groucho, Margaret Dumont, and Margaret Irving, from Animal Crackers ("Yeah, and it's big-a-me, too!"), in the same scene with the Eugene O'Neill parody "strange interludes."

16. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly, once Jack passed, it should've been all good for Picard & Beverly to become a couple.

Imagine how much better JLP, Beverly, & Wesley would've been if they were married soon after Jack's death and JLP became Wesley's Step Father and helped raise Wesley; even have another kid with Beverly so that Wesley would've had a Half Sibling.

Peach Wookiee and Vasquez Rocks like this.
  17. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I love Laris but my objection to Picard/Laris is twofold: the writers killed off Zhaban and Laris wasn't created to be a love interest for Picard and it felt "forced." Actually, I did liked the whole "Picard never settled down because of trauma" story because it contradicted his character development on TNG. Picard never had issues with getting into relationships and it was always the women who left him: Vash left him to go off with Q. Commander Darren transferred to a Starbase. Beverly didn't want to risk their friendship at the end of "Attached."

I wouldn't say I'm a big Picard/Crusher fan but the two of them being together makes more sense to me on an emotional level. But I'm not totally sold on it and I can't believe Beverly would've spent the 20 years after Nemesis not getting on with her life.

That being said, I do think the P/C dynamic will likely be explored in some way during Season 3.
    Terry Matalas confirmed we will see Laris but both him and Orla Brady have hinted she's not there for long and there is some question about if they actually got together at the end of season 2 or not. Matalas has also hinted Beverly plays a big part in S3 and Gates McFadden has hinted she a lot of scenes with Patrick Stewart

18. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really good post. Especially the part about the ladies leaving him. Not the other way around. Picard propriety issues being the Captain, and some intimacy ones. But Beverly is the one who killed the idea.

19. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me,

1. Beverly
    2. Laris
    3. Vash

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beverly is apparently in most of Season 3. So take that as you will.