Spoilers She-Hulk: Attorney at Law discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Aug 14, 2022.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Holy shit, that episode was even better than I dared (apologies) to hope for! I'm so happy we got equal measures of Matt Murdock and Daredevil with plenty of lawyering, hallway fighting, mentoring, and...wooing! It was so damn good to see Charlie Cox in full action again but this time with a lighter heart and a great sense of humor. AND we got The Theme. Not going to lie, I definitely lost my mind at that moment. I also really hoped that when Matt answered his phone at the bar with "Yes, Foggy?" but alas.

I especially loved seeing how Jen reacted to both sides of Matt's life and how she developed from those experiences with him. It was so damn good to see Matt properly her appreciated for who she is and what she tries to do as both a lawyer and as She-Hulk (despite her internal conflict about the latter). The two of them make a great partnership and I really do hope this means we'll get to see more of Matt if there's a second season and maybe even a Jen appearance in Echo (but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen).

All of that joy and fun came crashing down in the final minutes. Despite the fourth-wall breaking that warned us that things were about to get bad, it still hurt to see Jen have her privacy violated in such a public and humiliating fashion, all to deliberately provoke her anger and make her look bad. There are a lot of implications from that cliffhanger and I don't know how the finale will be able to satisfactorily addresses all of the issues presented, while giving Jen the opportunity to redeem and vindicate herself. Oh, and deal with whomever is behind this attack on her persona.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    Commander Troi and LaxScrutiny like this.
  2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. The Nth Doctor

:lol:

I originally wrote "love interest" but that was a term conflict with the rest of the list of verbs and "wooing" was apparently the best I could come up with as a replacement in the moment.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I had a feeling that Bruce's warning in the first episode that "once they see you as a monster, there's no going back" was going to come into play before this all ended.

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

The difference between this Daredevil and the Netflix one is so jarring. I'm not used to seeing him smile so much. Very glad to see him back though. Fun episode. Should have come earlier.

6. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Leapfrog is officially my favorite thing this series has done to date. Oh lord I was laughing so hard. Tadpoles? The stupid catchphrase? Going out the window at the end? This was so beautiful I nearly cried.

Easily my favorite episode, DD notwithstanding. It balanced the lawyer/superhero/civilian bits of the character incredibly well. Just so much fun all around.

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The whole series has been Jen finding out Bruce was right. Beyond that premise from the opening episode, the show runners have Jen dealing with what director Joey Soloway describes in their work as the divided feminine.

'Women are shamed for having desire for anything - for food, for sex, for anything. We’re asked to only be the object for other people’s desire.'
    https://www.salon.com/2015/07/28/ji..._emergency_when_it_comes_to_the_female_voice/

Women are shamed for expressing any agency. Jen's been dealing with that in almost everything in this show from her job to dating to just dressing herself. Everyone has been grinding down on Jen to the point we got that hulk out moment. Jen hadn't listened well enough to Bruce since she thought his ideas about anger were superfluous to her experience dealing with the world as a woman. However, control of anger does not equal absence. He warned her that it only takes a moment for that hulk rage to do extraordinary damage. She found out how true that was, tonight.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Starting to watch the new episode. Ooh. I bet those Previouslies triggered some people.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great episode and I am really liking the MCU take of Daredevil (and no, never saw the Netflix version, but I can see why they kept the same actor as he's great as the character.)
    I laughed out loud when they had Daredevil/Matt Murdock doing the 'morning after walk of shame' IN the costume...:guffaw:

10. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

This show is amazing :lol:

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, but a few years ago half the lawyers in California were snapped out of existence, so maybe California changed their laws?

Commander Troi, Morpheus 02 and Campe like this.
  12. The Nth Doctor

I found it jarring, too, but in a good way. I imagine on repeat views, it won't stand as much and therefore even more enjoyable.

LaxScrutiny likes this.
  13. The Nth Doctor

Yes, please! I'm one of the few people who loves The Defenders, but even if I didn't, more of all of them is always good.

I need Daughters of the Dragon to happen first!

14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Matt holding his boots doing the walk of shame still in his full costume is my favorite visual in the entire MCU. I know they live on opposite coasts, but I need more of Matt and Jen. They have great chemistry.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man of Steel explained it too.

They can only have sex in the bath tub.

(At least, we did see them have sex in the Bath Tub once, so it's an assumption that they can only every have sex in a filled with something like water (liquid chocolate maybe?) tub so that unavoidable injury to Lois can be mitigated.

16. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nailed it.

I honestly thought this felt like a Mat who moved on from his really bad demons and found more happiness in life but still pretty tough as nails (in sofar a Netflix show can portray that). I enjoyed it.

17. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

some state bar exams are recognised across multiple states.

Pass the California bar exam and you can practice anywhere in the U.S (source my brother who passed it).

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

This one was a LOT of fun, and holy crap my blood was boiling for Jen at the end. I hope they track that jackass down and she throws him through any number of brick walls.

I really don't like the designer Luke Jacobson, though. He's very catty, and condescending. That kind of behavior always turns me off, even though it's played for big ham. I never cared for it at all, and it makes it extraordinarily difficult for me to like him. You might say "he's an eccentric artist," and I don't care. I hate that kind of personality and have nothing for it.

All seriousness aside, great episode overall, and Daredevil's such a cutie.

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

You’d think with this show being a comedy that the echo location discussion would lead to her comparing him to a bat, and hence Batman.
    The joke was right there. :)

Commander Troi and Ar-Pharazon like this.