Spoilers SDCC season 3 news thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Jul 20, 2019.

1. serabine

serabine Commander Red Shirt

As somebody who has outgrown several franchises/fandoms: then stop watching it.

If all it does is turn you bitter or angry, don't "force yourself" to sit through 2 seasons of a tv show you don't like. If you know from experience you don't like the direction/creators behind it, avoid it. If you have hopes for Picard check it out, or wait until the reviews come in to see if it might be something you actually enjoy.

I recently weeded out a ton of books which I had bought back at a time when I "had" to complete a series, even if I had stopped enjoying it a couple of volumes back. But somewhere along the way I figured out that I don't have to read things I'm not enjoying anymore, and man, was that a cathartic revelation. You do that with Kurtzman-flavor Star Trek, as I did with DC Comics when they basically eradicated the entire tire of legacy heroes that got me interested and reading in the first place, or the last two of Stephen Hunt's Jackelian Series.

Fill your life with stuff you do enjoy, instead of wasting time with stuff you hate.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I'll never understand that attitude "Because Star Trek." No, no, no, no. Life is too short to waste on complaining about a franchise that is no longer enjoyable.

I've not finished out Stargate series (ugh, Universe and Origins), or the Marvel Universe. They are not for me anymore. And that's fine.

3. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully we'll get to see cleveland booker falling out of a hole in his house in a bathtub while saying 'no,no,nooooo!' just once

Ar-Pharazon and F. King Daniel like this.
  4. Oz Trekkie

Oz Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Apparently not :shrug::brickwall:

Kzinti, Hythlodeus and fireproof78 like this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picard has many props directly lifted from Next Gen and the movies. No 25% there.

OCD Geek, 777, Lord Garth and 2 others like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they're going more for different uniforms for different ships than one uniform which some ships get before others (which makes zero sense because we see they're replicated in Discovery so the switchover would be no effort)

Lower Decks has a completely different and much more colourful uniform in 2380 to Nemesis 2 years before or Picard 18 years later.

7. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Replicators would really be absolutely necessary for the different uniforms for different ships idea to be viable. The reason such an idea isn't very viable in the modern world is because we rely on mass production. The age of unique 'uniforms' happened during a time when most/all uniforms were made at least partially by hand, which is why they often couldn't be made exactly the same across large areas, but also why they could be adapted into unique variations if people wished. Replicators obviously can reproduce modern uniformity in uniforms (probably even better than we can today) but they can just easily lead back to that sort of older concept because they allow instant fabrication of any design you want without any concern for the limitations of traditional mass production. All it takes is someone influential to believe that sort of variation is desirable.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  8. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I am not a fan of DSC writing. Control put me off the books when it was introduced there, it did the same in DSC. But...

Phillipa Georgiou

Erica Louvois

Geordi LaForge

Alexander Rohzhenko

Those are all mixed names, even more so when you consider what ethnicity those characters are supposed to be. That was just off the top of my head.

9. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

I was talking about DIS. Of your list only Georgoiu is a DIS character, but she wasn't so far a main one. Only Lorca had a non English sounding name of the human main cast but he wasn' t around for very long.

10. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I made this point way back in the first season, and it still sticks. It especially contrasts because there's a certain other sci-fi production done in Toronto - The Expanse - which has gone out of its way to show a much nearer-term future which is not just multi-racial, but startlingly multi-cultural. And they're basically able to draw on the exact same pool of extremely diverse actors based out of Toronto.

jaime likes this.
  11. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Dis only has a few characters who even get their name spoken on screen in its first season. Michael is not a common female name. Of the few they bother having names spoken for, a couple are aliens.
    But Georghiou is a big character in season one, not least because she actually gets a name. (The bridge crew don’t...Though we later find one has an African name.)
    Also, some ‘English’ names aren’t really. And even beyond that, are we confusing hearing them spoken by people speaking English with actually being English names?

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Eh, Control in the show is nothing like it's novel counterpart. The two have completely different motives, and don't even have the same backstory, other than being part of S31.

OCD Geek, Alan Roi, ScottJ85 and 8 others like this.
  13. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

IMO, the problem is the 25% of Trek that many people want, and are unhappy until all Trek adheres to their particular 25%. Star Trek covers a vast amount of territory and no producer in the world is going to do everything all viewers want more than 25% of the time at best of times.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Unfortunately, Control in the novels was handled much better than what we got from the $10 million dollar an episode Discovery.

Longinus and The Wormhole like this.
  15. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose,
    By any other name would smell as sweet.

:whistle:

16. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

What were the motives and backstory in the novels?

17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At first it was to protect Earth, and then the Federation at all costs. It didn't want to wipe out all life in the galaxy.

OCD Geek likes this.
  18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Rahul, antinoos and Lord Garth like this.
  19. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really new, but haven't been posted here, so thank you!

That's from the Iceland shoot. They're also the reason why I thought "Cleveland Book" is actually from the Discovery, since Burnham is wearing the same clothes.

That being said, in interviews they said that Burnham arrived seperately than the Discovery, and she has her angel-suit on Iceland. That means she arrived there, and she got her other clothes actually from Book!

I still think a way future human called Cleveland Book is but a good idea, but I think there might be some unexpected twist - him not really being from the future, or human. At least I hope so.

20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't we already sort of get the Canon POV on future human naming, though, in "Calypso"? Or was that just a thing Craft/Quarrel's folks had going? "Book" sounds nice in that company - a stickler to rules, perhaps, or an easily readable person (or a complete enigma). :devil:

Timo Saloniemi