RIP Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dorian Thompson, Feb 12, 2012.

1. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember when she first came on the scene, model beautiful, and that voice! She practically invented the solo power ballad. She had such control of her voice, her runs and glissades were perfectly placed -- unlike her imitators, who get very carried away, careening up and down the scale. She could go effortlessly from full out power "chest" voice to head voice (and does, in "IWALY") and she sang some of the best gospel ever.

It's heartbreaking what she did to her voice -- like leaving a Stradivarius out in the rain.

Forty eight is WAY too young, and (as with Michael Jackson) we'll never know what kind of comeback she would have made. On the other hand, the sheer amount of influence she had on music, whether R&B, Pop, or Gospel (she was, in fact, a classic crossover artist), in a little over 20 years is immense.

How sad.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Self preservation and dignity, among other things, are what characterized Ali's life and probably one of the reasons this song was included in the soundtrack to the first Ali biography, "The Greatest". Houston's soaring emotional vocal brought those elements of the song to the forefront much more than George Benson's original did, and is the main reason most people think the song was written as some sort of psychological aid for those lacking self esteem. Were it not for Houston, the song would likely have been forgotten almost as quickly as the movie was.

Who in the thread has stated that either song was written specifically for Houston? Really, what's your point?

I was looking at some of her old video's at the LA Times site this morning and boy was that sad. She looked so innocent, fresh, and beautiful...and that incredible voice...almost freakishly great. Someone wrote up thread that she "bellowed like a moose", I actually kind of agree (though I know the poster was just being insulting), but no moose ever sounded that great bellowing. Her forte was eliciting an emotional response even from those who didn't count themselves as "fans", just by the power and sheer glory of her vocals. RIP, my prayers are with her loved ones.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

Yes, Beaker, I knew that. You may not be a fan of Houston's, but don't come in here and talk down to everyone who wants to share memories of her.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston, had four number-one singles on it? Did you know that, Shatnertage?

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I just read that her daughter might be in the hospital...

6. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Fair enough. Sorry.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's too bad, she seemed to be the butt of a lot of jokes when she was down and now the media is treating her as a national treasure. I know one really has to be ready to help themselves in these situations but I wonder if there had more of an earlier outpouring of support if things would have been diffrerent at all.

8. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. An addict has to want to help herself. All the support in the world won't do any good if they can't admit it and seek help. A lot of them simply don't want to do it.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

She was released. She had a stress-induced panic attack on the news of her mother's death...

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone who is shocked and/or suprised by this outcome really hasn't been paying attention.

11. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

I can't get over the fact that they can give Whitney Houston a full blown Jennifer Hudson tribute, and Etta James gets... what? A bag of peanuts?

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I really wasn't paying attention so I guess you got me there.

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just the Grammys. If it was a real thing, then you should be upset. I mean one year Jethro Tull got a Grammy for "Best Heavy Metal Album". Really? Jethro Tull is heavy metal? Really?

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That said Jennifer Hudson knocked that tune out of the park.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Incorrect. I've been paying attention, but I still have feelings.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No, not really. Sadly it's all too common.

It's always sad to see a life wasted. Still I also have to say I never cared for her music, the songs she sang and how she sang them. She had a good voice, but her style just grated on my nerves.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stay classy, people. Peace.

18. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP, Whitney --- You will be missed by millions.

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Well, thank goodness she didn't try to destroy Christmas!

20. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved her voice. Hated watching as she slowly destroyed herself. I'm always amazed how the most talented people are often the ones who have the most trouble living with themselves and their gifts. It's like the pressure to live up to all that potential eventually crushes them. So sad. :(