Remember The Short Skirt Guys?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Dryson, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's not a "shorts leg". It is a divided skirt. As Grace said, one side is designed to "wrap" the leg. She said thigh, but if you want to be pedantic, the top part of her leg that is above the hemline.

No.

Check the episode with Helen Noel (Marianna Hill) crawling along a crawlspace in "Dagger of the Mind". (Note: the still on the Internet, which we found last time this argument/discussion came up is actually a bad Photoshop.) Assuming Noel's mini is the same design as Rand's, there is a glimpse of what appears to be blue knickers; same material as the mini. Except, according to Grace Lee Whitney, the material you glimpse is actually part of the mini, ie. there is a fabric divider in the garment that prevents it flipping up. ie. Not knickers alone.

Maybe someone who bought a Janice Rand uniform in the Paramount auctions will chime in with photographic proof?

Incidentally, "Dagger of the Mind" and "The Galileo Seven" were Grace's least favourite episodes, since Janice Rand was in the first draft of each script.

KimMH, Nakita Akita and Orphalesion like this.
  2. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Well, I'll bet by now everyone wishes that they had worn the uniforms that they had in the first episode.:lol:

3. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I attended a parochial school and had to wear lots of culottes. As an adult I often wear golf skirts that have a flap in the front (and sometimes in the back) to disguise there are built-in shorts underneath. Almost like MMA fighters wear. Asymmetrically sized legs sound really uncomfortable.

I just made my TOS more of a midi.

4. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Yea, the asymmetrical clothing, I've worn stuff like that, it drove me mad.

If I was going to do a costume, I think I'd have to go voyager or at least DS9.
    The only time I wore a minidress, I was like 6 or younger.

KimMH likes this.
  5. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With the "skirt" part being a bit longer and some leggings, I wouldn't mind cosplaying a TNG skant.
    I'd show all those male extras who stumbled around so awkwardly how you wear something like that as a man :nyah:

Tim Walker and KimMH like this.
  6. Therin of Andor

It was Grace having to wear Sally Kellerman's trousers in her first TOS publicity shoot that sent her down to see William Ware Theiss.

KimMH likes this.
  7. Tribble Threat

Tribble Threat Commander Red Shirt

It's pretty easy to notice that the skirts rise up a lot, and what's under the skirt is something cut like panties that doesn't cover the legs at all, but looser than panties. It's identical in color to the skirt, so it's no surprise that this is a part of the skirt and not a separate undergarment.
    I'm surprised so many people haven't noticed the Star Trek women's underwear. Maybe those people have a less dirty mind than I do.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  8. KimMH

I’d noticed something that I couldn’t identify as panty or skirt; skort makes all the sense.

9. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Based on your description, I believe these are actually skorts.

10. KimMH

Yep

11. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I’ve always though they’d look better without the sleeves. And with some kind of uniform-specific sandal — the boots they used for the standard uniform always looked clunky here to me.

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

See this (link).

As to the skirts, Andrea Weaver, women's wardrobe on seasons 2 & 3 flat out told me the miniskirts were just that: skirts. What you see under them are standard dancer briefs dyed to match the uniform color.

13. KimMH

Oh that’s great! That must’ve been awesome for Dennis and his friend.

Would you happen to know the corresponding Pantone colors for the TOS unis?

14. Therin of Andor

So the design left with Grace?

15. Tim Walker

I am a male with some relevant experience.

A bit of background...I was born in 1956; I began watching TOS in 1966, and I am old enough to remember mini-skirts being in fashion.

Some years ago I noticed a man wearing a skirt like garment. I later realized that this was a Utilikilt. Utility kilts, as well as traditional Scottish kilts, are worn at knee length. My first purchase was a Utilikilt.

Subsequent purchases:

1. Macabi Knee Length Skirt

2. Running Kilts

Sewing projects. As a kid I learned how to sew a button back onto a shirt. I was able to do the following projects with hand sewing:

1. A simple Caftan (also spelled "Kaftan")

2. Conversion of mens jeans into a skirt.

When the Running Kilt arrived, I realized immediately that it is not derived from the traditional Scottish kilt. For a kilt think of a wrap around design with pleats in the back. The garment I unpacked was a short A-line skirt, with short slits on the sides. The length is just above the knee. This design is optimized for running in hot weather, and I can confirm that this garment is useful for dealing with the heat. I have worn this garment while doing a brisk walk around the neighborhood during the summer. (I gave up jogging when I got arthritis in my knees).

However, I am self conscious with the short length of the Running Kilt. I expect that I will commit indecent exposure if I ever try to sit down in public, so I have never tried. I do my walk and then immediately return home.

On the topic of conversions, I came across a DIY web site for converting a man's shirt into a woman's shirt dress. I improvised with a purchase at a thrift store; I wear a size "L" shirt, the purchase was size "XXL". While standing, the purchase covers my butt; it is shorter than the Running Kilt, about as long as a Skant. I am even more self conscious than when in a Running Kilt. The improvised shirt dress was too short to wear even in private. I noticed that when I sat down, the garment would ride up in the back, and the only thing between my butt and the seat was my underwear.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Orphalesion likes this.
  16. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

well said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

KimMH likes this.
  17. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

See that's what I mean when I say the Skant looks completely impractical and silly as a professional uniform, for men or women, since you don't want it to ride up and show your underoos (or lack there of) in a professional setting. A utility kilt-like design would have been more practical (though still opening up the problem that the person under you while climbing ladders in a Jeffres Tube sees your undies.
    And I'm saying that as a guy who adores wearing wrap skirts in warm weather.

KimMH likes this.
  18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

Orphalesion likes this.
  19. Tim Walker

I have to agree with Orphalesion; I find it hard to believe that anybody would wear Skants (or the TOS mini-skirt look) while on duty aboard a starship.

Of course, we know the real reason why actresses wore mini-skirts in the show.

BTW, one thing about the TOS pilot episodes that seems realistic...the women wore trousers.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Nakita Akita and Orphalesion like this.
  20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, as has been discussed at length on TrekBBS, Nichelle Nichols and Grace Lee Whitney stated in various interviews that they wanted to appear more stylish according to 1960s popular fashion, instead of being stuck with the same kind of nondescript pants uniform as the males. Thus the development of the skirt garment.

Kor

Mytran likes this.