Re-Watching Space: 1999

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

One film I enjoyed Ross in was "Tell Them Willie Boy Was Here." She and Robert Blake starred as a Native American couple on the run in the early 20th century west.

Ad of course she was in "The Graduate", which is probably a must for anyone interested in film history.

2. Yossarianator

Yossarianator Commodore Commodore

The glory days of ethnic impersonation.:borg:

Forbin likes this.
  3. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doubt it, in 1975 British tax rates were very high and making an entire season would have meant the Landaus spent enough days in the UK to be taxable.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They still film a ton of stuff in Canada today, the majority of sci-fi and fantasy shows film in Canada these days. Even Star Trek: Discovery films there, and all of Arrowverse shows except Black Lightning film there. Supergirl's first season was filmed in LA, but when they moved to the CW, they also moved production to Vancouver with the rest of the Arrowverse shows.

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

I know. I live here, as you'll note anew from my profile.

6. Maurice

Maurice Admiral Premium Member

UFO apparently lost steam late in its run. The mess with the studio shutdown and move didn't help the show any.

25%. C'mon. :)

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

was allowing for some higher costs here :p

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Full Circle
    Silly. Meh. Alphans get turned into into cavemen by fog bank. And walking back through the fog bank turns them back. AND restores their clothing? Some nice location shooting, though. Yeah, okay. Next?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  9. Marc

That one's generally a skip.

Story also goes that one of the Landau's daughter's (Julie iirc) bought a friend home around the time of filming to the sight of barbara bain going around the house howling like a made thing as she rehearsed.

10. diankra

Possibly the worst episode of season one (there's strong competition, but it's a photo finish).

11. diankra

Supposedly... UFO was doing very well in the States (long after the end of production, so it had no effect on the show), leading to the idea of of a follow-up, UFO 1999.
    Then Confetti Check A-OK got dire ratings, leading to an order from ITC NYC that the follow up be cut off from UFO, and have no episodes on Earth.
    I can spot several holes in this account, but it is the tale...

12. diankra

Watching Moonbase 3 off dvd, Fiona Gaunt plays a similar character rather better than Bain.

13. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

A length of 2x4 with Bain's photo stapled to it would have been as good if not better than actually having Bain there on set.

14. diankra

Doubt you can find a dvd easily, but despite its script editor Terrance Dicks comments ("Oh, can you lose it again") it's worth watching.
    Made in 1973, set in 2003, on a European Moonbase threatened with shutdown due to budget cuts. As Terrance said, most stories could be on a submarine or an Arctic base, or any other confined environment, but they work because of that.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I saw Moonbase 3 on cable once -- probably The Sci-Fi Channel while it was still called that. It wasn't the best thing ever, but I liked it because it tried to be grounded and realistic and to go more for drama than action and spectacle, unlike most SFTV. It was the diametric opposite of Doctor Who's fantasy.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  16. Marc

Wonder what credit difference between guest star and guest artist.

Just watching Death's Other Domain and Brian Blessed is listed as guest star and John Shrapnel is "guest artist".

Was Shrapnel the bigger name of the two at the time?

17. diankra

The reverse, I'd have thought; Blessed had starred in Z Cars and done episodes of The Avengers, etc, while Shrapnel was just starting out (he'd been in three episodes of Elizabeth R, but otherwise this was one of his first key screen roles, after the inevitable supporting parts).

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. diankra

It was that screening that tipped the BBC off that the American producers still had copies. Until then it was Missing Believed Wiped.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  19. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

20. diankra

Abides nicely by the Trek movie 'rule', the even episodes tend to be better.