Re-Watching Space: 1999

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Sep 15, 2019.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there is a plot hole, as it seems the immortality takes a while to 'take', so the Alphans would have to survive long enough (ie, live in the caves) for that. But if they came down in batches over a few weeks that might work out

Mr Awe likes this.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Admiral Premium Member

It's because all the formaldehyde used in the set takes a while to pickle you.

Mr Awe likes this.
  3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Sylvia is right—Landau is more of a character actor, like Nimoy, than a lead. He doesn't own the stage like a Shatner. But I didn't mind him in the role of Koenig. It's Bain I had more issue with.

Galileo7 likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He kind of became the de facto lead of Mission: Impossible late in its first season, once they dialed back Steven Hill's role -- even though Landau was technically only a "special guest star" the whole season. They offered Landau the series lead when Hill left, but he didn't want to be tied down to a show for more than a year at a time, so we got Peter Graves as a result.

Hmm. Now I'm imagining what Peter Graves would've been like as Koenig. Probably less shouty and more avuncular.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. Yossarianator

Yossarianator Commodore Commodore

He would have posed a serious problem in ''Alpha Child'' if he used his Airplane characterization for Koenig!:lol:

I realize it hadn't been conceived yet, but since 1999 lends itself to unintentional comedy...

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  6. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commander Red Shirt

In watching that clip I noticed that Sylvia Anderson didn't mention the other actors that she would have preferred in the lead roles.
    According to The Catacombs, Sylvia's choice's for Koenig was Robert Cult and for Dr. Russell was Katherine Ross (which is six degrees from Mission: Impossible since she's married to Sam Elliot who was in the fifth season of that show).
    I'm not familiar enough with Katherine Ross's work to comment on what her performance might have been like, but I can almost see Robert Culp in the role of Koenig, if he pitched his performance somewhat between his role of Hoby Gilman on 'Trackdown' and Kelly Robinson on 'I, Spy' and not his later role on 'Greatest American Hero'.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Culp would have been an interesting choice for Koenig I can almost imagine that. The only thing off the top of my head that I recall seeing Ross in was the movie The Final Countdown. She was okay in that, but not sure how she'd do as Dr. Russell.

BTW, will have a couple more episodes for folks here tomorrow night.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Robert Culp was a fantastic actor. He would've been great in the part. Not that familiar with Ross.

Shaka Zulu and Galileo7 like this.
  9. Yossarianator

Ross was a BUTCH CASSIDY co-star, and the lead in THE STEPFORD WIVES, which you'd likely like. And she was Generic Love Interest for Michael Caine in THE SWARM. Her SWARM character was named Helena.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  10. Yossarianator

When I saw WALL STREET it was difficult not to think of THE FINAL COUNTDOWN, despite the difference in subject matters.:cool:

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Katherine Ross, though quite a pretty actress and a personal favorite at the time, could be a rather wooden performer. Come to think of it, not that different from Baine on the show.

12. Yossarianator

But at least Ross would spare us the whispering, the hypnotized look, and, yes, the hairdo from hell.

Forbin likes this.
  13. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Culp and Ross would have been interesting as Koenig and Helena.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  14. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have recollection that it was their work on M:I that lead to Landau and Bain being cast in Space:1999 though by the the time it went into production both would have been off the first show for several years.

Have some other recollections. I can remember it airing in Australia during the 1970s but can't recall when exactly but I would have been very young the time (born in 71) so at the time I didn't comprehend that the moon was no longer in Earth orbit and it was only many years later that I saw Breakaway when it was editted into a 2 part tv movie.

I watched The Last Sunset late one night at my Grandparents. The tv was in the rumpus room where I was sleeping so I quietly turned it on and watched.

and when it aired on a Sunday night at 7:30 I went to tell my dad that it was on but he wasn't interested. Said the episode from the previous week was the biggest load of rubbish he'd ever seen. been 40 odd years of tv since so he's probably seen worse by now.

15. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is a general thing about Anderson (or the ITC America office) not spotting the difference between peogle who are hot in America now, and 6 years ago.
    As Abe Mantel says of Freiberger, "He was available, so we hired him. With hindsight we should have asked why he was available."

Shaka Zulu, Forbin and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  16. Marc

I'm not sure it was Anderson as much as ITC and Lew Grade as they were looking for American money to back the show.

Grade allowed many of the Anderson shows to be made but I think they suffered a bit. He frequently looked for money to get new shows rather than looking to keep existing shows running. This lead to one season of UFO and 1 season and 6eps of Thunderbirds (the again having a look a wiki, almost all Anderson shows only list as 1 season though they were quite long seasons - Space:1999 is very much the exception.

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Commodore Commodore

Do you suppose there were tax issues in play that we didn't and don't know about re: UK production practices at that time?

Reason I ask: a lot of TV and movie stuff used to get made in Canada for exactly those sorts of reasons.

18. Marc

No it was simply to do with the amount of money available for production. I image that Space:1999 was probably once of the most expensive shows being made in the U.K at the time. Compare what was coming out the BBC at the time and even a couple of years later (Doctor Who and Blake's 7) the Anderson production qualities were almost cinematic.

And the amount of money available for production also related to the size of the market. The reason for American leads was to try and appeal to an American market. With UFO, Ed Bishop was American but he was based in the U.K at the time (and spent most of his career there).

The Avengers was also made with U.S money (from the ABC network) but don't know how well it went in the U.S and the pay for the stars was pretty poor (Diana Rigg has said she loved the show but the guy behind the camera got more money that she did).

As to producing shows in Canada, there can be tax breaks provided to attract production (Georgia in the U.S is picking up productions for this reason) but there's also cost savings. Your Americans leads get paid in $US but your local production costs are paid in $CA. At present the $1CA is worth about $US0.75 so the production budget goes about 20% further. Plus there's also a question of where there is production space.

19. Yossarianator

If it was ''Space Brain,'' I wouldn't count on that. Love to tell you why, but spoilers...

I think up to 90 percent of the major films now that fake US locations are filmed in everywhere BUT Hollywood, for similar reasons. And they'll only admit it at the end of the movie's credits. Lots of our movies are Canadian now; many are Georgian.

20. Marc

A netflix sci-fi movie coming out next year was filming in my neck of the woods a couple of weeks back and the remake of IT was filmed in a town about 40mins away.

Nice thing about a runaway moon is you can film it anywhere :)

I think the episode was "Force of Life".

Shaka Zulu likes this.