Re-Watching Space: 1999

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Sep 15, 2019.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. Who often made a serial or two for the next run before the season break (seasons 1-5, 8_12, 18 & 19).

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I knew they did that for other seasons, such as Terror of the Zygons. But, didn't know about this one. So, they brought Sladen in for the one story and then had her come back later to do the rest I guess.

3. diankra

The weirdest one is maybe 11/12, where Baker and co were on location for Robot while Pertwee was still in studio for Spiders.
    The advance recording for seasons 2 and 3 was due to BBC1 advancing the tx break; season finales were meant to be DIOE and Mission.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  4. Mr Awe

You're a font of knowledge! I hadn't heard that shooting for Spiders and Robot overlapped! Two separate actors playing the Doctor at the same time in separate stories.

5. diankra

Note that Sarah and the new Doctor rarely, if ever, appear on location together, whereas he has a lot of scenes with Benton, Harry and the Brig.

Mr Awe likes this.
  6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, more like he believed the viewing audience would "buy it". ;)

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd be really satisfying to see the Robot facepalm — but with those stubby little arms, I don't think he can.

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually there is a shot floating around with B-9 slumping over a boulder, resting upon the 'elbows' of the pleated arms and the right claw raised to the bubble. It's not a Photoshop edit, but a frame capture from broadcast footage. It certainly conveys a "You've gotta' be kidding!" expression.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I've gotta find that.

10. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Been watching UFO as well as Space:1999 in the wake of this thread.

Interesting to see the difference between the portrayal of movement on the lunar service between the two shows.

The first block of episodes were filmed between May and December 69 so some of the first episodes such as Flightpath (3rd filmed, 17th broadcast) were made before man had walked on the moon.

Then again maybe there were other shows or films pre July 69 that showed lunar activity more along the lines of what we saw from the Apollo missions.

11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

There seems to be a oddity with 1999, though. So Alpha has artificial gravity thanks to the ring of gravity towers ringing the base right? So when we see folks indoors they are able to move and react as though in 1g. The minute they step out of the airlock, though, they are doing the patented moon bounce, even though they are still inside that perimeter of gravity towers. How does that work exactly?

Aside: I will be getting to more episodes here soon, promise. Full Circle kind of damped my enthusiasm a bit and I've been binge-watching Aaron Sorkin's Sports Night this past week or so.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What's worse are things like Battlestar Galactica: "Fire in Space" or Star Trek: Enterprise: "Minefield" where characters walking on the hull of the ship are weightless even though they're directly above the gravity plating and would be in full gravity if they were just 3-4 meters down inside the ship. TV and movie makers seem to default to the bizarre assumption that gravity is transmitted by atmosphere and that any artificial gravity field ceases to operate on you the moment you hit vacuum.

13. Mysterion

One other though about those gravity towers: if they're throwing a 1g gravity field around the base, it must really be a bitch to be piloting an eagle (or other spacecraft) in or out of the base. To be flying in 1/6g and then to suddenly have the gravity increase to a full-G? Or vice-versa? Probably not a lot of fun I'm thinking.

diankra likes this.
  14. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

the artificial gravity systems in the Eagles can compensate for changes in gravity. It's mention in Black Sun (also the A-G units added to the towers to protect the Alpha came from the Eagles) and Guardian of Piri iirc). Might also have gotten a mention in Death's Other Domain.

15. Mysterion

I don't mean the effect on the gravity inside of the Eagles - I mean the outside gravitational force being exerted upon the Eagle itself.

16. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I’ve never heard this. Anyone know if there’s a pic of Baker and Pertwee together in costume?

17. diankra

Probably not; it was all separate. The UNIT scenes for Spiders 6 (including the change) were shot with Spiders 3, then Tom and co went on location while Jon and Lis made the rest of Spiders.

18. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seems like Shrapnel was all over the place!
    :vulcan:

19. Mr Awe

I'm speculating, but guessing that given Pertwee's mood at the time about his departure that even if a meeting was possible, he wouldn't have been up for a greeting. They reportedly never, or barely, spoke. Kind of foreshadowing Tom's departure and minimal interaction with Davison!

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That wouldn't happen to be this one, would it?
    [​IMG]

From the Lost In Space episode "Wreck of the Robot" as described at Midnight Reviews