Random Thoughts...or...What's on Your Mind?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sibyl, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Admiral Premium Member

The web was here back as far as 1993 but me personally I didn't bother with the internet till about 2001. I was too busy partying and well yeah that kind of stuff.

Velocity likes this.
  2. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Why do the "bougie" grocery stores in the nicer parts of town always have the absolute worst and cheapest soap and paper products? :wtf:

Kor

3. oberth

oberth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i'm in a holding line for 43 minutes now ... and i fucking hate it

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate when I get stuck in those, I always want to hang up, but I know as soon as I do it'll be my turn.

5. oberth

got through after 49 - worked swell then

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least you made it through in under an hour.

oberth likes this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Bougie"? :confused:

Does that mean everybody in the store is dressed in disco outfits? :lol:

8. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

It's a slang-y corruption of "bourgeois." Not a hard "g" sound as in "boogey," but a "zh," so pronounced like "boo-zhee."

Kor

9. Gingerbread Demon

I was sorting through old news articles and stumbled on this one.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/17/professor-claims-doctors-successfully-performed-human-head-transplant/

Funny how the only volunteer he had backed out because he had become a father... Who would have thought having a family would make you not do something super crazy like this?

Oh and Secret Jewish Space Lasers

https://www.judaicashop.net/p-11300-secret-jewish-space-laser-corps-enamel-pin.aspx

At least you can buy a nice pin to wear.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Velocity likes this.
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

There are a lot of Disney cartoons I haven't seen yet, and many of them have been remade as "live action." I'm wondering if watching the live action movies first and the animated features second would give me a unique perspective, or if that will just ruin the animated versions for me.

11. Gingerbread Demon

I can't speak for you but for me it ruins it. I still have the animated Lion King movie, and others they did and seeing the live action versions it just didn't feel the same, plus it eeked me out with the whole uncanny valley aspect of it.

Secondly I felt it was a waste of money even though it's Disney but still why even bother, but money is their motivator so I answered myself.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

I think if I had a YouTube channel or a blog, it would make for an interesting read. But I don't. I'd only be sharing it with you folks. :D

Think likes this.
  13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

So, I've been listening to the Byrds cover of My Back Pages on Younger than Yesterday for a while. Their version is good, but you can't quite make out all the lyrics, and I didn't know it was a Dylan cover.

I finally heard Dylan's version where you can actually make out all the lyrics. (Which is ironic, isn't it, that the guy who is hardest to understand now was the easiest to understand in the 60s). I can't believe how relatable and profound the lyrics are. It perfectly sums up my thoughts on 2020s progressivism. The song criticizes his previous involvement in the folk scene where he wrote 'Finger pointing' songs and treated morality as a black and white proposition, repeating political phrases 'Like they were marriage vows'.

And the song never sounds like it's criticism the actual positions they were taking so much as the strident judgmentalism of the delivery, the moral litmus tests. It's not saying stop caring about equality, it's saying to start seeing the gray in everything and to take themselves less seriously. Someone could write the exact same song today word for word and it'd sound just as new.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got my second COVID vaccine shot yesterday, and I barely got any sleep last night and I feel like crap today. Now I just keep telling myself it's better than getting COVID and ending up on a ventilator or dying.

Avro Arrow and KimMH like this.
  15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Feeling bad for a couple days and passing it to nobody versus possibly feeling bad for months and passing it to everybody.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That too.

17. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Two words: ugly cars.

A lot of late-model cars are just plain weird and ugly looking. With all the bizarre folds and creases in the sheetmetal, they look like they've already been in an accident before they roll off the assembly line. And what's with those baroque, overstyled front-end treatments? Are car manufacturers just desperately trying to make their products look different from one another?

BK613 likes this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon

Yes.

19. Worf factor9

Worf factor9 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2-Mule team Burg. Formerly Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o
    ;)

20. oberth

i just found a crown on my plate. it belongs to one of my better teeth - i fucking hate that