(Possible) Major Spoilers for the Next Series

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Nov 7, 2017.

1. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, the Radio Times for the week after next is going to have a big cover story on the new series and a summary of some of it has been leaked. Or allegedly leaked. I'd keep your scepticism meter high for now, if I as you. But anyway for better of worse here it is.

As has been long rumoured the series will be fully serialised telling one (main) story. What hadn't been mentioned before is that Chibnall will be writing the lot, which is the main reason why it's only ten episodes. The plan is to bring back other writers for subsequent series and add a couple more episodes back to the length. The BBC will also be heavily promoting this as a brand-new jumping on point, so don't expect any returning characters/enemies/monsters.

The premise is pretty wild as well: in the first episode something will happen that splits the Doctor and TARDIS in three stranding them on Earth in the past (1968), present (2018) and future (2068). The TARDISes won't be able to travel in time but can still travel in space so it won't be entirely Earthbound. And while there are three Companions each Doctor will only have one, which explains how Bradley Walsh is able to do this while still carrying on with his other work.

The main narrative thrust for the series will be the Doctor(s) trying to put themselves back together again; each of them will have a distinct personality and they are able to communicate, so we get a multi-Doctor experience with only one Doctor.

That's everything that was mentioned so far and like I say I'll believe it when the story actually appears (or doesn't) in print but we've been promised something radical and that would certainly fit the bill.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I know that's all rumors so far. I like the gist of the ideas. But, how can the Doctor be stranded on Earth if the TARDIS can still travel through space?

And, they're stranded in different times but the 1968 and 2018 Doctors could use relativistic effects of near light speed travel to catch up with the 2068 Doctor. If the TARDIS can travel through space they'd just need to find an advanced species.

Starkers likes this.
  3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I guess that explains why Chibnall wanted a break after Broardchurch. "He's going full Terry Nation. Never go full Terry Nation."

The Doctor pulling a Scaroth is interesting, and anyone want to take a bet that Walsh will be the 60s companion? I wonder as well (if this is true) whether Sharon D Clarke will be some kind of unifying character between the three timelines? A villain who's caused the split or someone trying to help the Doctor(s) put themselves back together again.

It's certainly radical, but different personalities? Let's hope people like all three of em, and might be annoying if you really like the Doctor B/Walsh combo but have to wait two weeks for them to return (although the flipside could work if you don't like one particular iteration)

On the whole the idea's intriguing, but that's a lot of work for Chibnall to take on though, especially when he's showrunner as well (He did a similar thing with Broardchuch but that was fewer and shorter episodes wasn't it?)

The Borgified Corpse and Mr Awe like this.
  4. Mr Awe

I wonder about the wisdom of creating multiple personalities for a new Doctor? Although, I suppose if one personality becomes the most popular, they can go with that one ultimately. Maybe have a vote! Which personality survives! That way you're guaranteed to have a likable Doctor. I suppose we'll see traits of each in the final merged Doctor.

The idea is intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out (if true).

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well if nothing else it'll stretch Jodie's acting chops. And the differences may not be that pronounced. The 1968 Doctor might be a little angrier, 2018 Doctor a little more thoughtful, 2068 doctor a little more light-hearted rather than 1968-Colin, 2018-Peter, 2068-Jon!

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Interesting and believable, though the different personalities for each version of the Doctor sounds the least likely part. But Basically, yeah, it's CityOf Death meets various Trek episodes.

7. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And just FYI this came via someone who has frustatingly been both right and wrong with spoilers in the past; so it's very much anyone's guess how much or little turns out to be true!

I wouldn't be surprised if it is one big story totally or mostly written by him, though.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  8. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

If done as 3 special length movies in early 2018 and if we still got a regular season in late 2018, I wouldn't mind.

But waiting till late 2018 for a 10 part story, then having to wait till whenever S12 comes out, not so much.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's so bonkers I love it. :)

10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really like this idea but I wish they went further back than 1968 and more in future than 2068 but i'm sure it will be fine.

Jason

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The format was definitely getting stale, so I'm all for a weird serialized thing with duplicate Doctors fractured throughout time.

Paul Weaver and Allyn Gibson like this.
  12. Mr Awe

I just watched the first season of Broadchurch. She is excellent in it--so I have no doubt she can handle it. In fact, the cast as a whole was fantastic.

13. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps splitting the Doctor into three is in part being done so that if a female Doctor doesn't go down well with the audience and the ratings are poor, when the three splinters of the Doctor merge back together at the end of the story it triggers a regeneration and the Doctor goes back to being a man.

Snick27 likes this.
  14. Mr Awe

Ummmmm . . . . no. That doesn't make any sense. What kind of message is that anyway? It takes three women to equal one man?! :thumbdown:

Nightowl1701 and The Nth Doctor like this.
  15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

As for what I believe of it: The single serial, yes (they said that all along). Chibnall writing it all (as per Broadchurch) 50/50. The three time zones... 50/50, though it could be more a limited thing on that, perhaps for the opening episode to introduce varied companions. Three personae for 13, no, that'd be too confusing for a jumping on point, asking for haters to go on about women not making up their minds... Maybe I could see it as a single episode plot.. No time travelling... 50/50. No returning monsterst I totally disbelieve as the Daleks are bound to turn up at some point, even if only as a series 6 style cameo.

16. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I like the idea of a season-long arc as means to shake up the show before going back to the traditional set-up, but I don't like the specifics. Splitting The Doctor up in three different parts has the potential setting themselves up for failure. What if one iteration of The Doctor is preferred by some, the second is preferred by others, and the third by others as well. Whether there's a clear favorite or not, some fans will not be happy with the chosen personality when The Doctor becomes whole again. Not only will that ostracize some fans, but may also create undue backlash against Jodie Whittaker.

17. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I could very easily have seen Capaldi doing this. So, so easily. A commentary, even to his ever-changing Doctor... alas, wasn't meant to be.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

That probably means 13 will have 3 different outfits (maybe hairstyles also) as well to help audience distinguish what time period it is.

BTW, I would like to see 3 different Tardis interiors also! The old white rondal one for 68, the current one for 2018 and a new one for 2068. ;)

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Anything that mixes up the status quo for a series, is exciting to me. It sounds risky, which makes me all the more interested.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not 100% sold on this idea, but I'll just take on a "wait and see" attitude for now. It is different, I'll give it that. The storyline itself sounds kind of meh, but I can see some potential. At the very least, it'll develop a shared universe in three time zones. RTD and Moffat only really did that with their modern stories. Well, I guess RTD had the New Earth stuff, but that wasn't developed as extensively as his modern day world was. Moffat could have done world building in the future with the military church and the past with Vastra and her gang, but for some reason didn't. This idea could be a benefit for world building. Even in future seasons which would presumably go back to the Doctor being whole again could benefit from having developed worlds in the past and future to visit.
    No, splitting the Doctor up is being done because that's the story Chibnall wants to tell, not because he's planting an escape hatch to return to a male Doctor. Even if the Doctor were male, I suspect this storyline would still be done.
    Most definitely. Especially with this being a "jumping on point" for new viewers BBC are almost certainly going to insist having Daleks involved in some manner.
    More likely, they're going to use the same set for all three era, but probably decorated differently in each one.

Starkers likes this.