Picard and 25%

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by JesterFace, May 18, 2020.

1. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

If YouTube is to be trusted, and why wouldn't it be.... there have been a lot of company splits and mergers which have caused Star Trek to be canon, noncanon, who gets to sell what toys to who, and someone owns this but not that, etc.

One of the conditions were that Star Trek has to be 25% different to what it was from 1966 to 2005. Is this the case with Picard? I don't know the current situation with all the companies. Is Picard 25% different to TNG by law? Sure looks different, but is it required by law to be that much different? Or are the creators free to do what they want with Star Trek?

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This.

Sci and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

I heard the likes of Midnight's Edge say this but is it actually confirmed?

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. JesterFace

This was my source too.

Qonundrum and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

It seems so arbitrary and open to interpretation - who decides what on the percentage by which one is different from the other? There are so many variables involved - what gets taken into account?

6. fireproof78

No, it's actually been debunked and is a completely arbitrary standard that is nearly impossible to measure with any specific legal purpose.

Also, Midnight's Edge is 99% B.S. so I would take what they have to say with salt...all of the salt.

lawman, Gepard, rfmcdpei and 13 others like this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

25% was NEVER a thing. Not on DSC, not on Picard, and won't apply to SNW either.

8. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Complete horseshit.........why do people think just because it's on YouTube it's FACT?

Gepard, Gonzo, Relayer1 and 7 others like this.
  9. fireproof78

More than that why do people listen to Midnight's Edge? O_o

burningoil, KennyB, Danja and 3 others like this.
  10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They use props and designs unchanged from Next Gen and First Contact in Picard. You tell me.

fireproof78 likes this.
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also there was a still shot of Worf in one episode, identical to his TNG appearance. So it would seem that the "classic" Klingon look is still alive and well.

12. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

Well, there’s a tiny bit of truth in it. On Facebook, John Eaves talked about how the Enterprise had to be 25% different for legal reasons. He was backed up on this by another vfx guy (Scott Schneider). Gave Koerner and some of the Shipyards dudes asked if that was true multiple times. To the extent that Eaves posted an image of someone flogging a dead horse!

Man do I wish that I’d taken some screenshots of that.

Furore erupted and CBS said it was their IP and they could do what they liked with it. Clarifying that they legally owned Star Trek. I expect that someone asked for the Enterprise to be different for marketing reasons, i.e. selling new toys etc....

Soon after, Eaves deleted the thread. Then his entire Facebook page.

Amusingly, if you buy his art book then he includes some sketches, with 25% different marked on them.

Here’s a conversation from the deleted Facebook posting:
    "Gabriel Charles Koerner John Eaves, was the "25 percent difference" mandate creative or legal?"

"Scott Schneider Legal."

"Gabriel Charles Koerner Man, its just baffling, considering that CBS can sell the original Constitution Class design in form of toys, model kits, all manners of licensed merch... but it can't be included in new Trek TV productions?"

"John Eaves Samuel Cockings your asking the wrong guy. I only know there is a division of property and when the task at hand asks for 25% changes or a whole new design I know that what ever it is is not allowed to be used"

NCC-73515 likes this.
  13. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

The YouTubers pushing this canard are 100% trying to rile you up. Their motives should be 125% distrusted.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Probably was the case at some point, as Eaves had no axe to grind. But with the companies reintegrating it would no longer be an issue.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Midnight's Edge is the InfoWars of Star Trek.

Doomcock is the Sean Hannity.

Relayer1, KennyB, MrPicard and 2 others like this.
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe they assumed/guessed the 25% was for legal reasons but were incorrect.

lawman, Gepard, burningoil and 2 others like this.
  17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

In this case though, they have involved creator(s) backing up their story.

Qonundrum and NCC-73515 like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Even if someone wanted to argue the 25% different case, they wouldn't have any luck with PIC.

The Enterprise-D looks the same when we see it. 100% the same. Ten Forward looks the same. The TNG and TNG Movie Uniforms look the same. Whenever they show footage from the TNG Era, it looks the same.

The only thing that looks any different is when they show an image of the DSC Enterprise instead of the TOS Enterprise. But that has nothing to do with TNG and everything to do with them wanting to plug the New-Old Enterprise.

Even though the look of PIC has moved passed the look of TNG, whenever they show anything from the TNG Era, it still looks like TNG.

And JesterFace would know this if he watched the series. I submit that if he has time to watch YouTube Videos, he has time to watch Picard. And if he watched, he'd be able to decide for himself if what the videos are saying is true.

19. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, this one has a legitimate source, but since the source got in trouble and the studio denied it, we can assume it wasn't supposed to be communicated.

20. JesterFace

It's not about not having the time for it, more like not being that interested. Like the thread I created earlier, should I wait for the entire series to be out there before getting into it. Right now I don't need to wait for the entire series, after just one season I have lost interest. That may change however, depending how the series develops. Also, I haven't ordered any channel packages or anything where the series is available, just for that one show. Money saved.

21. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Don't watch or pay attention to anything YT incels like Midnights Edge and his peers say. They peddle outrage and lies to hateful little manchildren and make a fair mint off doing it. He is consistently wrong about everything.