Picard’s Tea Order Makes No Sense

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by HugeLobes, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Yeah, that would be great! Ask the Baku.

2. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps it all just boils down to those supposed 24th century evolved sensibilities. As personally appealing as immortality is, on a societal level, if we were all immortal, the result would be mixed at best
    Beyond the obvious of whether or not we could even continue to have a significant number of children without turning into Gideon, generations passing from one to the next is part of what allows our cultures to grow.
    Bloodsucking aside,I imagine it a little like Interview with a Vampire. At its core, those characters watched hundreds of years of human political and social progress and became increasingly incapable of relating to humanity. Humanity would likely become culturally nearly stagnant if somehow immortality were both in our grasp and widely used.
    I would think that Trek's evolved humanity both recognizes this and actively chooses to avoid it. I don't think it's any more ridiculous than the we don't use money and exist only to better ourselves attitude.

Brennyren likes this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a casual fan of the group. I don't really have an opinion of Rob Halford himself but, hey, you gotta at least kind of admire somebody who can sing like that.

That being said, as a bald man with a goatee, I guess it's better to be compared to the leader of a world famous heavy metal band, than to Ming the Merciless. :lol:

I have no objections to eternal life. I actively look forward to eternal life.

Just not THIS life. ;)

Oddish likes this.
  4. Swedish Borg

I wonder why Picard didn't make "It's our mortality that defines us" speech to the Baku??? To explain why they needed to be relocated.

Wait, that because he wanted to *** the Baku woman... that's where Picard's morality lies...

What're billions of people compared to Picard's... codpiece...

HugeLobes likes this.
  5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Star Trek was a little schizophrenic in that movie, I agree. Basically, it's something like "it's Ok for the 600 Baku to be immortal... but not anyone else." Only they had no coherent explanation for why the Baku were so special.

6. Swedish Borg

The Baku are not so innocent, they condemned their own children to a slow death!!! How is that being innocent?

7. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the reason the whole Tea Earl Grey Hot is to show that he is very particular about the things he eats and drinks and that shows the character is very precise about the things to says and does.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Becuase it's their planet.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not indigenously. They were basically just a ship full of colonists... Kind of like the North American natives on Dorvan V, who nobody aboard the Enterprise defended from similarly compelled relocation, even though they too claimed they had a unique spiritual connection with the place, I guess the motives for keeping the Cardassians happy were more crucial than the motives to keep the Son'a happy.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not a Federation World, so they have no say.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Irrelevant. They were there before the Federation ever set eyes on it. Thus, effectively, it's theirs.

Edit: What @Nerys Myk said.

Understandable, since the Federation had fought a WAR with Cardassia. And if the Cardassians aren't happy, yet another war could start. That's why the treaty was signed in the first place: to prevent another war. (Which apparently the Maquis did not particularly care about.)

The Son'a were hardly such a great threat.

12. Mojochi

Dorvan V? Well, they did at the negotiating table, & decided to pull the colonists, because it wasn't worth the trouble. They could've backed those folks more if they'd wanted to be fully ethical about colonists' rights... & they could've backed the Son'a, if they'd wanted to be similarly less so.
    The Son'a were there before the Feds ever set eyes on it too. In essence, it's kind of a Prime directive issue they shouldn't be involving themselves in at all... the 2 factions fighting over the planet.

It's just an opinion, & one I'm not married to, mostly just playing devil's advocate, & I've certainly derailed this thread long enough entertaining it. Moving on. :)

13. Mr. Laser Beam

And that would be worth the second Cardassian war that may well have resulted?

14. Mojochi

I'll PM you a response. I'm derailing too much here lol ;)

15. HugeLobes

HugeLobes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely. It might not make sense if this was real, and nothing here really convinces me otherwise, but you're right that it's great for his character.

I know derailing is probably against the rules, but it's still kinda funny to worry about it on a ten page discussion of Picard's tea order :lol:

Personally I've always felt that whole issue should have been less about Federation rules and more about the Baku realizing what selfish a-holes they were being.

Mojochi likes this.
  16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Baku planet.

17. freethinker

freethinker Lieutenant Commander Newbie

I believe Beverly said that his favorite Breakfast was "coffee and croissants" so that means that he doesn't ALWAYS drink tea.

Mojochi likes this.
  18. Mojochi

Isn't the Briar Patch in Federation space though? I thought that was why the Son'a were dealing with them.

Anyhow...
    I'd agree with this. It almost seems like he only has his routine cups of Earl Gray as a stand alone beverage. I assume he must drink water, & of course, he seemed a pretty able-bodied alcohol drinker, hanging with Scotty.

& let us never forget his ever so thoughtful gift for Mr. Homn. :guffaw:

He seems pretty well rounded. So the computer would have a normal amount of random exchanges with him, I'd think

19. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

You don't get 10-11-12-13-14-page threads out of settling for a reasonable explanation, though....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  20. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Imagine if there was a crew member named Earl Grey. Picard walking around saying "Earl Grey hot!" would have taken on a whole different meaning

Mrs. Silvercrest likes this.