Picard’s Tea Order Makes No Sense

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by HugeLobes, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Let's not forget that Beverly was able to cure that guy of the 20th century of the ravages of a lifetime addiction to drugs and alcoholism in like five minutes. So what's the point then to deprive yourself?

If I lived in the 24th century I'd be smoking cigars and eating whatever I want knowing that the doctors could get me well anytime I want.

Mojochi and Farscape One like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

"We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."

KIRK: Well. But they've rejected all that and all that this technology provides. And they seek the primitive.
    SPOCK: There are many who are uncomfortable with what we have created. It is almost a biological rebellion. A profound revulsion against the planned communities, the programming, the sterilised, artfully balanced atmospheres. They hunger for an Eden where spring comes.
    KIRK: All do. The cave is deep in our memory.
    (Way of Eden, emphasis added).

3. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

"Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." For 8 pages.

This is how you know you're a STAR TREK fan.

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

This. Doughnuts, pizza, and hot fudge sundaes for me. In large amounts.

Farscape One and Swedish Borg like this.
  5. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But she can tell the difference. The nutritious one tastes like crap.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just that we never get a proper blind test. As far as we know, even Picard can't tell red wine from white blindfolded, but attitudes would prevail.

Timo Saloniemi

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

& Scotty looked as if he was going to yak over his scotch lol

8. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Again: no. She's always smiling and enjoying the replicated ones she eats at Ten Forward.

9. Swedish Borg

I wonder how much synthehol is an approximation of real alcohol, my guess is a pretty bad one. looks like in the future they're not very good at taste approximation.

10. Brennyren

Brennyren Commodore Commodore

Maybe she's always eaten the replicated ones, and isn't actually used to real chocolate?

11. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Picard wants Earl Grey tea that is hot, what is the problem with his order. =)

12. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is the closest we are going to get to an objective view. Scotty was expecting real scotch and could immediately tell it wasn't right. Also we need to delineate between foods that are modified to be more healthy, and will therefore taste different (but not bad) and thus be objectionable to the purist (the scotch, the chocolate); and food that is purely replicated and not modified.

I
    It's still better not to get unhealthy in the first place. For all we know it might not be indefinitely fixable. That is to say, every time you have your liver fixed it's not quite as good as it was last time. O'Brien's shoulder seems to be getting worse/easier to hurt over time even though Bashir keeps fixing it.

13. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But then why would she ask the computer for a "real" one in the Price.

But yeah, could be, maybe her body wouldn't even react well to a "real" one, like people who try non-pasteurized milk for the first time :lol: She'd probably get the runs from the excess fat and sugar.
    Maybe that's why she isn't wearing her turquoise dress after Season 4, she wore it the day she finally talked the computer into replicating her a "real" chocolate ice cream Sunday.

In any case I'd still give a lot for those replicated "nutritious" sundaes haha
    But with synthehol wouldn't it be similar to non-alcoholic beer and such?

14. Brennyren

:lol::lol::lol:
    You and me both!
    Yes, I remember Bashir complaining about that. Still, having struggled with my weight since adolescence, I suspect that, given the option, I might consider the "quick fix" good enough.

15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure. Most of us would. I think the thing is, they can fix most things but aging still happens, & sometimes the things we do that damage us, also age us, i.e. alcoholism. So living unhealthy might lead to conditions that need & can be fixed, but in the long run, you've still depreciated your health

16. Swedish Borg

The de-aging procedure seems simple enough, just reproduce the incident in Rascals, with a little adjustment it should get you to 18 if you don't like being a teen again, personally, I wouldn't mind it.

Crewman6 likes this.
  17. Brennyren

So we've got another case where Trek creates possibilities that they then fail to fully exploit.

1) Given the incident in "Rascals," aging could be effectively eliminated.
    2) That and the resolution of "Unnatural Selection" suggest that any injury or illness could be cured by a quick trip through the transporter, which could restore you to your physical state at the time of your last "transporter trace."
    3) Long-term abuse of your body could be (at least mostly) cured in Sickbay. You might get a lecture, but surely that would be a small price to pay.

It's obvious why they don't go that route -- audiences couldn't relate to characters who were effectively immortal, and actors will continue to age in any event. But then maybe the writers should be a little more careful about opening up these possibilities.

18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Picard is specifying what type of "tea" he is ordering, not whether he is ordering "Earl Grey" as a tea instead of as a pastry or something.
    The order is primarily "Tea."
    Then he specifies exactly what kind of tea: "Earl Grey."
    Not the other way around.

And there's nothing wrong with specifying the temperature. Any type of tea could be served hot or iced.

By the way, there actually are recipes for Earl Grey biscuits ("biscuit" in the UK sense), cakes, ice cream, etc.

Kor

19. Swedish Borg

Seriously, I can't believe that they haven't found a cure for hair loss yet.

20. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

What if it isn't a problem for people of the future and there might be people in our time too that don't have a problem with it?

Perhaps there is a cure for it, only some use it, not all.

Crewman6 likes this.