Patrick Stewart has seen first 5 episodes, hopes fans won't be disappointed

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Nov 14, 2019.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That DSC shuttlecraft outside Starfleet Headquarters in 2399 will have to be replaced. I can understand why it'd be a placeholder in a trailer but it would be out of place at the end of the 24th century(although not in external appearance, but that's another subject entirely - we won't go there right now).

NCC-73515 likes this.
  2. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Uh....the are exactly NOT doing that by saying this is NOT TNG 2.0. I guess you´ve not been following all the interviews and articles or it would be clear to you that nobody is pretending its still the 80s here.

3. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I could be more like a museum piece thats used from time to time to wow the tourists.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I suspect it is a placeholder, TNG was made up almost entirely of reused and modified TOS movie sets and they recycled the TOS movie shuttle a couple of times. Fans didn't start complaining until those same sets started showing up again as the old Enterprise the later TOS movies.

At the end of the day it's a TV show and if reusing an existing shuttle saves them money and helps them spend it elsewhere to create a better story, it's no biggie. I'm expecting the Discovery bridge to be lit differently and resused as a TNG-era ship in Disco.

serabine and Danja like this.
  5. Danja

Danja Commodore Commodore

To paraphrase the immortal words of MST3K, it's just a show and you should really just relax. ;)

serabine likes this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be in the grand tradition of Trek.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  7. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But isn't the shuttle computer animated? They can replace it with anything. It's not like it's the Excelsior or Miranda class model that they use to cut costs.

Except the Disco bridge is in Toronto, and they're filming Picard in Santa Clarita, CA. I'm sure they have the budget to build their own bridge.

Danja likes this.
  8. cooleddie74

The DSC shuttle looks more like it comes from TNG than it does Kirk's time anyways. ;)

Dukhat, MFB and Danja like this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It still costs money to use CG models too

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I presume they're using the shuttle set built for Disco as the shuttle insides too, but yes they could build a new CG model to modify the outside. And although I suspect the one seen in the trailer is a placeholder, if it saves them money, why not reuse the Disco shuttle model?
    They have the budget to fly actors up there for a day or two as well.

11. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

They had Voyager and the D as placeholders in the FC trailer - didn't matter.

12. cooleddie74

And the Bozeman showed up in a Generations trailer, taken straight from the temporal causality loop sequence in "Cause and Effect(TNG)."

13. Rasmussen

Rasmussen Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A few thoughts (and a very subjective perspective):

- Issues that I had with DSC, that won't happen here were it beeing extremely anachronistic in regards to technology and design, plus adding a new totally OP Tech like the Spore Drive. I'm not a big fan of the show, it was watcheable (there was a story) but it couldn't have happened before TOS, at least I am not able to connect the dots, not matter the fanservice.

- Let ST:P not be just an action show. Yes, some action is needed but my favourite Trek moments are either philosophical, tactical or conceptual (sci-fi) moments. This is a personal point of view. Other people may like a different aspect.

- Take your freedom with the characters but don't replace them. So much time has passed, age changes people but not completely.

- Dont let your plots revolve about modern american social politics too much. I guess it has always been a part of Trek, but let it be subtle, implicit so show it but don't thematize it (Because thats exactly what makes it feel articifial). Humanity has morally evolved. Make sci-fi/adventure/exploration plots.

- Don't make changes for changes sake or for sensational purposes (like destroying Vulkan just because we needed a shocker). And FFS, make Alien masks with at least some possibility of facial expression for dramatic purposes.

Anyway, I hope they learned from at least some mistakes done in DSC. I'll watch it regardless.

Qonundrum and Danja like this.
  14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Especially if they have to re-do shots or models. I recall this guy having some interesting videos on how CGI is used.

Danja likes this.
  15. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Maybe Patrick Stewart is saying he hopes fans won't be disappointed, because deep down, he's a little underwhelmed himself.

Danja likes this.
  16. Danja

We can't keep flying people to Toronto to board their own ship. :shifty:

Aren't you contradicting yourself?

HAS humanity truly evolved? Or has the Trek Universe been kidding itself all this time?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really, no.

The social and geopolitical climate has changed, but humans are still the same messy and dysfunctional naked apes. Star Trek isn't about humanity being better; it's about it doing better.

It's an important semantic distinction fans - and some times the writers - have trouble with. There is no "lesson" (for lack of a better term) in the conceit if it all can be easily handwaved away with some skiffy gobbledygook and 'enlightenment' pretense.

Danja likes this.
  18. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or because he knows how DIS was received, and how TNG actually was received initially

Danja likes this.
  19. Danja

You know what they say ...

"Underpromise and Overdeliver."

20. cooleddie74

After Seasons 1 and 2 of TNG it's hard to imagine any series with Jean-Luc Picard being that disappointing.

Noname Given likes this.