Paramount Confirms TWO Star Trek films currently in the works!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I'm not remotely convinced shatner is the answer either. It's general audiences we need here. Don't get me wrong, the presence of the shat wouldn't hurt the film (unless it was handled badly like in generations) but is it enough to sell this movie to millenials who've never seen a single episode of TNG? I doubt it very much.

I'm all for a crossover of some type. In a way it could be a glorious last roll of the dice for this series of movies, but I think Stewart/Shatner need to be extended cameos at the most, not the main draw, the epic scope of the story needs to sell this, not a 77 and and an 87 year old. Christ, the guy could be potentially be 90 by the time this sees the light of day.

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Maybe someone mentioned it before, but they might be doing two movies in rapid succession so they can amortize costs and produce both films somewhat more cheaply than if they did they two fully separate. Keeping sets standing in a soundstage, etc., is expensive, so if you can shoot back to back it's cheaper.

Firebird and Khan 2.0 like this.
  3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why don't they just change around the "Discovery" sets kind of like Trek 6 and the TNG sets. Nobody would notice would they?:)

Jason

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But how will that work? How does a Star Trek movie compete with Marvel and Star Wars?

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s-j-clarkson-star-trek-4-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth-1202787592/

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

So the solution is to bring back old cast members that had even worse under preforming movies?

Also who says Beyond, which wasn't that great, nor bad, it was just there, underpreformed by 200 million?

7. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

2021 - just in time for the 55th anniversary!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  8. Khan 2.0

OMG!! :eek::eek::eek:
    so it is the Hemsworth/redrafted Orci 3 movie for ST4!! (2019?) which means Tarantino Trek after his Once Upon A Time In Hollywood movie so around 2021? or even 2020? (and maybe he direct for sure now and maybe it'll tie in direct with ST4 like an epic time travel two parter - his City on the Edge meets Yesterdays Ent thing tying in with the Hemsworth ST4 via a cliffhanger?! thats got to be why theres two movies announced! will TNG/Shat be involved in ST5 somehow?)

9. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If what I've heard through the grapevine is true, this is a rewritten screenplay of what would have been Beyond, but was shelved for whatever reason.

They then took it back off the shelf, gave it a polish over, and from what I hear, it's supposed to be a better and more story driven screenplay than Beyond's while still putting in enough fun for blockbuster audiences.

I suspect they are saving costs by having an already finished screenplay for Beyond repurposed for the next film. Lots of concept art and design work was also completed for the eventually abandoned film, which could be repurprosed and save even more there.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

11. Khan 2.0

and there were elements of 'Orcis 3' in Beyond too. no wonder he cant release it via IDW or a novel

its just gonna be abit bittersweet watching Thor knowing it was originally meant for The Shat :weep:

12. Khan 2.0

-Is the word given Admiral..?
    -The word is given...TWO STAR TREK MOVIES!!

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh fuck, not that idiocy of Shatner returning as Kirk Prime on a quest to restore the Prime Universe.

Jedman67 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  14. PixelMagic

I think that idea has been reworked and changed to be George Kirk instead, and not necessarily to restore the prime timline.

saddestmoon likes this.
  15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, still not completely sold on the idea, but whatever.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know. Frankly, I don't think Star Trek can, but I'm at least glad that they are willing to put some money forward and (hopefully) take a risk on Star Trek rather than play it safe.

17. PixelMagic

They would do well to release Star Trek in October, such as Gravity, The Martian, etc. Give it plenty of breathing room to be the only game in town for a few weeks. Star Trek cannot compete realistically with the likes of Star Wars or Marvel. It's sadly not near as popular, and probably never will be.

18. Khan 2.0

they might have to if they targeting 2019 (hopefully with these announcements it will be.. or its another dreaded 4 year gap!)

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If CBS and Viacom re-merge, then I predict the films will be about the Discoverse. If they don't, I predict that the films will be yet another reboot.

20. PixelMagic

The next one will be a sequel to Beyond. Taratino's project? Who knows.