Paramount Confirms TWO Star Trek films currently in the works!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PixelMagic, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

For me uhura's realtionship with spock was one of the best parts of beyond. great chemistry, convincing love story, maturity, well done with lots of understanding and mutual respect for each other and Uhura did make the decision by returning the necklace.
    this was perfect. Zoe and Zack do a great job here alone.

It is the exact opposite of what their realtionship was in into darkness. I have just made peace that STID is a poorly written film.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Lance likes this.
  2. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, she came to her own decision. I'm referring to the incredible lopsidedness of how the whole movie shows Spock wrestling with the decision, but her side of that is forced completely offscreen.

Lance, fireproof78 and Malaika like this.
  3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She had more agency in stid when she was allowed to express her feelings in her relationship and interact with her boyfriend (which includes arguing, something the guys do with Spock all the time and in all contexts and no one cares) , but since some fans have double standards and criticize women for stuff they actually praise the guys for (eg she's ironically hated for the very thing fans love about Mccoy's interactions with Spock), I guess beyond's writers thought that completely deleting her pov and making Mccoy say that maybe she was 'upset', without actually allowing her to express that, or other feelings, on screen is more 'feminist' and would placate those fans. Not to mention they use her own relationship as an excuse to make the two guys interact and show emotion all the while she, who is actually part of the relationship, isn't allowed the same courtesy (because, in some fans' almost blackmail, if she does, she's a bitch).
    That isn't treating women equally or being inclusive of their voices, but then again Pegg admitted he can't write for women and in their dynamics. Beyond is more or less like his other movies when it comes to some aspects.

Ironically, Uhura's relationship (and her character) still IS more important to the lead male character and his arc (her feelings also are implied being important to him) so if people minimize it, or claim that the writers ditched it, they are projecting.
    However, it seems like, from a general perspective, she's more acceptable in beyond because of the illusion she's more passive than in stid, and she basically allows the guys to express feelings she isn't allowed to express herself as she gotta be a strongggg (independent. woman .) and kindly shut up because we have no time for her stupid feelings (and Sulu's, don't forget they cut his major bonding scene with Uhura too) that take away from the bros. Even the romance seems to be suddenly more acceptable to some when she 'shuts up'.

The fact there are people who, even for Beyond, still insist on that 'she is just a love interest!' and still call her a damsel in distress or too emotional it really speaks volumes about how, in the eyes of people who have firmly established sexist double standards, Uhura just can't win. Hopeless. I even read some complaining that Jaylah's one emotional moment where she is scared and remembers her family makes her 'weak' and ruined her.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Lance likes this.
  4. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

my fair criticsm of Beyond is we could have used more character moments. kirk. spock uhura. but still they are better characterised in every way that is better compared to STID.

Lance likes this.
  5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

6. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

DaddlerTheDalek and JKM like this.
  7. Mirror Tuvix

Mirror Tuvix Commander Red Shirt

8. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It doesn't need to. That's the other thread ;)

pst likes this.
  9. Malaika

Anyone understood what they were saying in that article? Lol
    it is like it said everything and absolutely nothing at once.

Lance likes this.
  10. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

I didn't have the patience to really ingest it either.

Butters likes this.
  11. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

Lance, Smellmet and saddestmoon like this.
  12. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Lance, Hey Missy and Galileo7 like this.
  13. Malaika

At this point they have no choice, too late for a 2019. Not even sure that 2020 release to be honest. No official announcement yet.
    Though they have time for filming, especially if they want to try a September or Xmas release this time.
    Star wars episode 9 gets released in 2019 and they hadn't filmed it yet.

Better trek takes their time than rushing it like they did for Beyond. So be 2020.

saddestmoon and pst like this.
  14. Khan 2.0

yeh no much hope for (late) 2019 now as most late 2019 films are shooting or just about to (and Trek wouldn't want to be anywhere near EpIX anyway). so no 2019 tie in with various Trek anniversaries (TOS end, TMP, TFF, GEN, ST09)

recently Indy 5 moved from 10 July 2020 to 9 July 2021 so maybe ST4 take that spot?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

at this point 2020 will come in no time. and they've got a 5th cued up.

saddestmoon likes this.
  16. Khan 2.0

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

saddestmoon, Lance, pst and 1 other person like this.
  18. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

i could be wrong, but i feel like there were blurbs like this around or after beyond saying quinto felt like he was done with spock. either way, glad to see him embracing the character. even discovery's producers have acknowledged he owns the character.

still can't say i'm totally on board with the notion of an R-rated trek film. or that i really believe it'll happen in the way it's being discussed now.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, Leonard Nimoy felt like he was done with Spock in 1982. He got over it.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jury is still out on that one ;)

Lance likes this.