Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ol' Scratch

Ol' Scratch Lieutenant Junior Grade

I haven't really been enjoying this season. Something just seems kind of off with it. I think its probably because despite sitcom rules, they've actually grown beyond where they started and are now teachers/administrators rather than students, and I really preferred them as students. Which kind of makes me feel bad because I'm basically saying I prefer those stupid sitcom rules, it seems!

Then again I miss Senor Chang, too, and especially his interactions with his brother, Rabbi Chang who questioned why a Chinese man would be teaching Spanish. That absurdity exemplified everything I enjoyed about the first couple of seasons!

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I agree the dynamic of the show isn't as good as it was seasons 1-3 when they're not a study group anymore, but the writing in individual episodes is still really good. Just now an episode requires strong writing to be good.

I really liked today's episode. All of them sacrificing themselves so a racist anti-semitic comedian can have his freedom of speech, and it gave Britta a chance to be anarchist Britta and not airhead Britta.

One minor nitpick. Shouldn't Chang have put Shirley at #1 since he's slept with her?

3. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Well, apparently
    Buzz Hickey is dead
    It was an email that Dean Pelton sent to the Lunch Lady.
    He also lets her know when a new Mindy Project is going to be on.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

From a 20th century sexist view point.

Different lists.

Women he's seen naked, are stored in a completely different part of his brain from women he is trying to deduce the bare nudity of.

Let me explain.

You've had strawberry ice cream. It tastes fantastic but what does monkeynutfudge ice cream taste like?

Known vs. Unknown.

(Although, didn't they both have a black out and forgot eachother's bodies?)

S'all good?

"You used to be a study group?"

"Chang was our Teacher!"

:D

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Chang: "That's right. And frankly, haven't been well-utilized since."

:guffaw:

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I assume Season 6 will also be coming out on DVD eventually? I've got a pretty crappy internet connection, so I generally just wait for the box sets. (And it seemed to take for-freaking-ever for the 4th season of Arrested Development to come out.)

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

^^^Where are you located? I'm in the States and I've seen the Arrested Development Season 4 box set out in stores for a while now. It's also been out in the UK if I recall correctly.

8. Guy Gardener

"Seemed" = Past tense.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

My bad, thanks for pointing that out Guy :)

I know the Season 5 DVD's came out in August after the season wrapped in May. So we can use that as an indicator I suppose. If they don't release the DVDs by then, or at least announce a release date by then I suppose we'll be waiting a while.

10. JirinPanthosa

Season 6 is starting to pass the tipping point of being just too meta for its own good. It's cute when Abed does it in moderate doses, but when the rest of the cast is in on it, meh.

Wasn't that much into this episode, but somehow want to buy a Honda.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I haven't gotten around to this episode yet. I don't have any real issues with this season or anything, I just don't have the drive to watch it right now.

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Jeff is a little weird to me, but nothing too bad. We finally got our six seasons and it's just like "Now what?" I'll buy it on DVD for sure.

13. JirinPanthosa

IMO, Community has entered the territory of 'Eh, it's still better than all the rest of the crap on TV'.

14. Guy Gardener

That's where community was born.

Examine Community's peer group...

Accidentally on Purpose and Modern Family came out at around about the same time.

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Yeah. Seasons 1-3 were brilliant. And while I really like Seasons 4 & 5, I feel like the show really hasn't had anything new to say since the end of Season 3. Individual episodes are still funny but it's no longer essential.

It's always a shame when a sitcom hits that tipping point when it goes from being a jaw-dropping revelation to being just kinda funny. I remember when it happened to Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Frasier, & The Simpsons. (Still, I suppose it's better than the alternative of getting canceled before you even have the opportunity to reach that point. I still weep for Wonderfalls.)

16. bigdaddy

Wonderfalls... so great.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I like the offbeat tone this season. The softer lighting on all the sets coupled with the longer (well, slightly longer) runtimes does make the show feel a bit different, but I don't believe that's necessarily a bad thing.

I think this is a season that just might play better the second time through when you know what to expect out of the episodes and the season as a whole. I did notice one thing when I was doing my series run through last month. The transition from Season 5 to Season 6 is a lot smoother than I initially thought.

18. Ol' Scratch

Ol' Scratch Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've been really bored this season, even more so than the previous one. It's just not making me laugh as much as it used to. And, honestly, I miss the off-the-rails episodes they used to do, like the D&D, alternate universes, and even the claymation Christmas episodes.

I dare say it's just too grounded in reality now despite the Dean's antics.

19. JirinPanthosa

I thought season 5 was fantastic and Buzz Hickey really made the season memorable.

Season 6 has lost its chemistry and now only succeeds when the writing is fantastic.

20. bigdaddy

They did say we were going to get a more 'grounded' show before the season started, but is that even what we want? I'm curious to what they are planning for the paintball episode.