One More Slow Dance...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BolianAuthor, Sep 21, 2010.

1. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Thank you... here is what I think is the last revision of the top profile, with the Starfleet pennants included... I am not going to do any more to the top, because I want to heed my own advice, and keep it simple, and not "over-clutter" the hull.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2315/pennant.gif

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks nice and buetiful with the pennant added :) :techman:

3. BolianAuthor

Thanks. :) Okay... I decided to bite the bullet, and tackle the revised version of the Gemini's bottom plans.

I decided to remove the shell of the saucer's framework shape, and just work with the details... I'm gonna try a new technique with this method, making the underside details alone, and then going from there. For now, I'm using the underside details of Alan Sinclair's 1701 as a reference, because there are no complete references for the Surya's bottom details, and aridas sofia never provided me with any bottom plans.

I am electing to leave out the sensor dish, and I am not going to include those twin wedge shapes, because as far as I know, they are supposed to be landing mechanisms for the Constitution-Class saucer, and since the Surya can't land, I don't see a reason to have them.

[​IMG]

This is gonna take some time... I've already forgotten just how I perfected making curved windows for the Bridge on the top view plans, so I need to remember how to do that. And I've found yet more errors with the top plans, so I'm gonna have to go back and revisit those again, after I'm done with the bottom, but I wanna get these bottom plans out of the way first.

This "simple" little ship is proving to be quite the headache-inducing challenge.

4. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry about that. It seemed clear from your comments that you were doing this your own way. I provided a place for you to work on it at FRS.com among fans that are very knowledgable about the design. Tallguy made a model of the ship with my full involvement and assistance and it includes all my info on the previously unseen views of the ship. You should take advantage of it if you are so inclined.

I have disagreed with you on many of your choices so far, and in some cases I've told you about my disagreements. I have also insisted that you are completely within your rights to go your own way on this. Indeed, I have encouraged it. So does it really matter what my drawings of the bottom look like? If it does, ask Tallguy for info based on the model. If it doesn't, then do what your muse tells you to do.

5. BolianAuthor

^

Aye, I meant no disrespect. Yeah, I have Tallguy's restart model, but I also noticed that he had done two "passes" of a possible bottom orientation, one of which I believe was meant to provide some reinforcement or structural support for the warp pylons. I am also stuck as how how to properly depict the "dishing" effect of the underside in terms of an ortho view, because IMO, if there is only a round dished area, it looks... well, IDK exactly how to articulate it into words... I just don't know if that's how it'd look, lol.

Anyway, I didn't mean to anger anyone. In the meantime, I started on the front view...

[​IMG]

6. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Great work, BolianAuthor!

I just wanted to chime in on a couple of things...

Regarding the Deck 1 / turbolift issue... One thing about TOS nagged me. In "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", Lokai escapes the Bridge into the turbolift. Within seconds, the chase is on... Bele leaps into another, empty turbolift. Where did the empty elevator car come from, so quickly, if that tubular thingy on the back of the ship's hull is the only housing for the lift car? If you take "Let..." as a canon indication, there must be a place for a reserve lift car to wait once Lokai's car is departed. So the whole tube idea doesn't make sense. I tend to like the notion of the lift tube being built-into the main dome, along with a reserve cell for a waiting car as well.

I do like your "ready room" addition to Deck 1, BTW. Makes a great deal of sense.

One thing puzzles me about your front elevation, posted above. if the saucer's running lights are mounted on the forward section's rim like that, they would not be visible from directly aft of the ship. Wouldn't that defeat their purpose? Maybe it's just me, but I'd move the topside saucer light aft a ways onto the thicker section.

Keep up the good work!

7. BolianAuthor

^

Thanks, Wingsley!

Regarding the turbolift thing, yeah... I'm thinking the whole Bridge turbolift issue is one of those things that may never be explained to anyone's liking, lol. But... in terms of the U.S.S. Gemini, what I am going to do, is lower the level of the interior of the Bridge a bit, so it's sunken down more from the top dome, which will not only allow for the "Ready Room" space, but will allow room for two turbolift cars as well. I am going with TOS Purist's idea, which I really like, that the little "turbolift nub" at the end of the Bridge module is actually an exterior connect point for when the ship is docked at a drydock or similar facility.

I'm glad you like the "Ready Room", though it really is literally nothing more than a small desk and a computer and chair... very minimalist. I figured that on a smaller ship like the Gemini, which stays closer to home sectors, and may be on patrol missions more often, it would make sense for the Captain to have a small "office" for the express purpose of reviewing eyes-only transmissions, or for private words with a Commodore or Admiral, at various points during a mission. It's not really a place he would go to relax... but it offers a private space with direct and instant access to the Bridge.

Interesting point about the running lights. I know the aft hull addition has running lights of its own, if that's what you're concerned about. Wherever I need "fill" details, I'm basing things on the Sinclair Enterprise plans, as well as using them to ensure accuracy of the various major components, like the main saucer, and warp nacelles.

Thanks again... kind words from a TOS purist as yourself means a lot to me... it also means I'm on the right track! :bolian:

8. BolianAuthor

A bit more work on the front...

[​IMG]

9. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

dude, this is really great! :techman:

10. BolianAuthor

^

Thanks! :)

The front is now done to my satisfaction...

[​IMG]

11. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

FWIW, I don't know how much of a "TOS purist" I am, but I always have been concerned about concept erosion in STAR TREK, if that means anything.

I suppose that, vaguely in that vein, I would like to suggest a possibility for equipping the Gemini with a TOS-like navigational deflector / sensor dish...

At the point on the topside aft hull where the upright struts connected the "torpedo rollbar" with the Reliant's main hull, (I realize that your Gemini will likely not have a "rollbar") you could install a pair of similar struts that do not lead to a "rollbar" at all, but instead each strut would terminate at about Bridge-level or a little above with a teardrop-shaped small pod. Mounted on the front of each pod would be a small dish. I think this would blend in well with the design and give it a connection to TWOK. The aft of each pod could also serve as a weapons platform.

Just a suggestion.

12. BolianAuthor

^

Aye. Well, the original Surya, as designed by aridas does have the sensor dish, but I'm choosing to see how the ship looks without it, since the Miranda never had a dish-style sensor array. I also don't want to place anything on the upper hull than what is there already. But...

Someone on aridas's webforum posted a very interesting idea, that I like enough that I will be adding it to the ship as a "third refit" feature. The poster's original concept sketch is below, as well as a pass Tallguy did with his model of it, to test it out...

[​IMG]
    Original concept drawing by Ahkyahnan.

[​IMG]
    3D model and render by Tallguy.

13. Kaiser

i agree this would be good third refit for this design :) :techman:

14. BolianAuthor

I took a little break, and played around with the idea of also doing this baby...

[​IMG]

We'll see how the Gemini goes first. :)

15. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Ooooh, A Larson. Sweet.
    The FASA ships could use a little more tweaking. If it were me I'd play with this one a bit more that the Surya.

16. BolianAuthor

^

Thanks... yeah, I agree, the FASA ships could use a good once-over with some proper attention to detail.

Once I finish with the Gemini's exterior plans, I'd like to take on my two favorite FASA designs from the TOS era... the Larson and the Loknar.

17. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

I'd like to see the Derf and the Chandley, but that's jsut me <g>

Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Lovin it!

18. BolianAuthor

Well, I couldn't resist the urge to start fartin' with this one, so... here it is, lol:

[​IMG]

19. Kaiser

Awesome Larson and Loknar arts there :) :techman:

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is the Loknar the one with those weird spikey bits on the rear of the saucer? What exactly do those things do?