Spoilers My main suspects for the anomaly.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Unimatrix Q, Nov 26, 2021.

1. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please, let it be anything, literally anything, but another cosmic-Lennie killing trillions with a temper tantrum.

I'd love if the Anomaly somehow ends up being part of a storyline that retcons that awful ending to the Burn arch, and gives us an acceptable explanation for the Burn.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amplified emotion as a destructive force is not acceptable?

*looks sideways at TNG*

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I highly doubt that’s going to be the case. The Burn’s effects are now over; there’s no reason to now spend an entire season retconning its reason for being created.

4. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reason for the Burn is probably one of the most TOS-like and trekkian things Discovery has done. It's a much better reason than having some big bad enemy causing the burn to kill the Federation as so many were predicting. It will never cease to amaze me how some of the fanbase can be so emotionally stunted that they confuse grief and pain with a 'temper tantrum'.

5. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

She's a politician, so she most likely wouldn't be so blunt. Especially with all the goodwill toward the crew of the Discovery in the Federation, because of solving the mystery of the Burn and playing a big part in the restoration of the UFP.

But these are the vibes i got from her about how she thought of Burnham in "Kobayashi Maru".

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The leaps in logic are truly amazing about how some dialogue by Rillak equates to a space monster from 600 years before in a forgettable TNG episode.

7. Unimatrix Q

I never said that she was an avatar of Nagilum, although he impersonated Data and Troi in that episode.

I'm just thinking that creating a apparently unwinnable Kobayashi Maru like galaxywide scenario fits in his modus operandi and the way the anomaly appeared as a big eye like manifestation kinda reminded me on his appearance, just with better sfx.

And there are actually people who love this "forgettable" TNG episode and the writers already proved a lot of times that they have an extensive knowledge about canon, especially with Kirsten Beyer being part of the writer's room ;)

TedShatner10 and Commander Troi like this.
  8. Coops

Coops Captain Captain

Just be grateful nobody suggested there's a Borg cube in the middle of it, yet.

Commander Troi and Vger23 like this.
  9. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

It's the Nexus and Books family are not dead but just stuck in a never ending Christmas

10. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Just because one has an extensive knowledge about canon doesn’t mean that it’s the best idea to resurrect a space monster that the audience doesn’t really care about.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's most certainly not Nagilum...or V'Ger...or any other such nonsense. I think people are really reaching here. It had none of the qualities of these phenomenon (save a slight resemblance to the blue-grey cloud formation....that we all know turned out to be a very different thing). My guess is that it's a naturally occurring phenomenon, or something entirely new that we haven't seen before if there is a sentient presence involved.

My big question is how does it move faster than the speed of light? If it's roaming around and killing planets in different systems, it must be a FTL phenomenon.

12. Unimatrix Q

And i read a lot of posts on Reddit and on other forums from people who really liked "Where Silence Has Lease". So i guess the episode isn't as unpopular as you seem to think.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

It’s not about the episode being unpopular. It’s about the utter pointlessness of Nagilum being the reason for the Anomaly. Why would the audience care about Nagilum?

Vger23 and saddestmoon like this.
  14. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Is this gravitational wave granddaughter or great granddaughter of the nonsensical Nexus that appeared in Generations (and never came back after that)?

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Please establish why Nagilum would be additive to this story?

saddestmoon likes this.
  16. Agony_Boothb

Rillak didn't SAY it which is what you said Rillak did. Rillak was more than willing to call Burnham out in front of her crew, the President would absolutely be blunt enough to shut Burnham down hard and say all those things you're attributing to her because of 'the vibe' if she genuinely didn't like Burnham.

DEWLine and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  17. TimeIsAPredator

The were supposed to care about a screaming Kelpian child.
    Pah'wraiths is my new wacky joke guess.

dupersuper, Commander Troi and Dukhat like this.
  18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

But the Kelpian child actually has something to do with DSC, unlike Nagilum or V’Ger.

19. Agony_Boothb

I assume it might be like the graviton ellipse from voyager in that it travels through subspace and re-emerges into normal space at random

Commander Troi and Vger23 like this.
  20. TimeIsAPredator

Like a giant space sand worm

Commander Troi likes this.