MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Hey, guess it's our turn to say "Just wait till next year." :D

I hope Girardi comes back, but if he doesn't, they should get Posada. Catchers really do make the best managers, after all.

Edit: ... And the Pirates win the NL Wild Card playoff. Nice job, Bucs! :techman:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

We need an NLCS between the Braves and Pirates where in game 7 the Pirates score on a ninth inning walkoff single including "the slide."

3. Mr. Laser Beam

^ :lol: Ah, Sid Bream!

Edit: Vin Scully hints at 2014 retirement. Linky

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Use of Time

Looks like Salazar is dialed in tonight. Its nice to see a few new faces to the post season this year.

Looks like the Braves chose not to add Dan Uggla (most expensive player on the team) to the post season roster. Thank God.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

What the hell just happened? First the ball hits the ground, then it doesn't? :confused:

Geez, I was hoping Tito wasn't gonna get tossed at a time like this...

6. Use of Time

That is the kind of umpiring I expect all season long. Talk about it and get it right. That is the home plate umpires call. Shouldn't have had to ask for help and I'm pretty sure that is what I saw Joe Maddon tell him.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw a story on ESPN today that said the Cubs might aggressively pursue Girardi, which might be a sign of higher expectations next year. Sveum wasn't really more than a placeholder while the team flounders for a bit.

8. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Awww.... :( Not much of a Doyers fan but listening to him is great.

High five to that. Maybe they'll be less errors too. Don't get me wrong, I like Uggs but he's not the same Uggs.

9. Use of Time

I think the biggest factor in the Cubs decision was regression from some of the younger players they expect to be the corps of their rebuilding. I'm speaking specifically of Rizzo, Barney and of course Castro who was signed to a large contract.

They will go nowhere without building a starting rotation that can go farther than six innings. I like Wood and he seems like a nice piece to build around. Samardzija has flashes of dominance but suffers from the same emotional failings that Gio Gonzalez suffers from at times. When things don't go well he seems to get down and let things snowball.

I hope they can secure a manager like Girardi because I think we can all agree that the Cubs being competitive is really good for baseball.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Rays win the AL wild card.

11. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Bad news for the Red Sox?

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ We can only hope.

13. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Not really. I'm not getting this whole OH WATCH OUT FOR THE RAYS shit that started after they won last night. The Red Sox went 12-7 against them during the season. They can beat them. Yes Tampa Bays starters are excellent, but Boston's have been nearly as good this year, and their offenses aren't even comparable. It will be a good series, but the Rays aren't this juggernaut that cannot be stopped.

I'm sorry if I'm ranting about this, but I really, really hate that team. From the twitter stuff they started earlier this season when they had a brief half a game lead in the division, to the smugness of the whole group. This was a team that couldn't score a run to save it's life 3 weeks ago, and almost blew a 7 run lead against the Blue Jays on the last day of the year, and they act like they've won the World Series with every game, and the media buys right into it. I think that people should have fun playing the game, but they take it to a level that is nauseating. Act like you've been there before, act like a professional, and don't smack talk about a .5 game lead that you had, when you eventually lost the division but what, 9 games? They have surpassed the recent Yankee teams as the team I hate the most.

The Red Sox have been the best team in the league the whole year this year. They'll show up, and they'll be fine.

14. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Got tix to Game 1 o' the ALCS.

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I went to an NLCS game years ago. Whatever happens, don't be in the bathroom in the 9th inning. Nothing like missing the game winning homer while taking a piss.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Which NLCS was it?

17. Use of Time

Evan Gattis is going for the Brooks Conrad lifetime achievement award.

18. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

2006, Game 2 at the old Shea. My old man and I went. They blew 3 leads that night. Was standing at a urinal in a couple inches of standing piss when I heard 50,000 groan at once. I finished up, went back to my seat, and saw that something named So Taguchi hit a 3 run bomb. Mets lost 9-6.

Ever been on a train ride from the stadium after a playoff loss? There was the 7 line that night and the special gameday train out of Foxborough after a Pats loss. You've never seen more people that appear to be capable of taking a life with their bare hands.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

I've been on trains after losses, but I have never seen a playoff game live.

So it's like Philadelphia, then?

20. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It's being reported that Dusty Baker is finished with Cincinnati. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Gibbons for the Jays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.