Michelle Yeoh will feature in Discovery, possibly as lead

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Captain of the USS Averof, Nov 23, 2016.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, we really don't know anywhere near enough to be jumping to any kind of conclusions, and unless I missed something this is all still a rumor. Granted a rumor started by one of the writers/producers, but until it's officially announced by CBS it's still technically a rumor.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I don't know what Nyotarules was discussing. I was discussing King Daniel's issue of a Starfleet ship with a Chinese name being commanded by a Chinese captain.

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Given that asian people represent about 60 percent of the world's population, Han Bo's assignment to the ship could be nothing but coincidence.

Who knows what the demographics and heritage of human beings would be in this fictional future? Still, only about 10 percent of the current world population is of essentially European background - is there any reason that should grow significantly in the next two hundred years?

It seems more than odd that westerners, and particularly people who talk like Americans, are so often assigned to command vessels named after American and English military ships from the 17th to 21st centuries.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Universal translators... We can't be completely sure where these people are from, unless they have specifically said where they are from, because their accents could be assigned randomly, or accents may be in the ears of the beholders, where users can tailor their user experience, or persons may be able to override personalizations, if they don't want to run the risk of being perceived as too sexy or too silly.

It's possible that Picard was speaking French, with a French accent the whole time on TNG, which makes a lot more sense than Jean-Luc speaking English with a British accent.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And those few times he was actually speaking French, why didn't the UT translate that? Or all the other times non English speakers let a few words of their native tongues slip into their speech?

6. Guy Gardener

Slightly askew into the dirty world of dirtiness... Can these crazy kids fake orgasms any more if the Universal translator is truthfully expressing tone without a care for context?

m.lp.ql.m likes this.
  7. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's hope so. Fingers crossed. I want to see as many meetings in the observation lounge as possible.

8. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would say it was designed as a dramatic show featuring action. Among other things.

I don't know why people have to get defensive about this. I didn't say I don't want action. I just don't want "a bunch" of action.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I for one am glad that the Chinese have finally made it into Star Trek in a big way, now we need India etc to join in.

It was an annoyance of mine that Starfleet was overwhelmingly white but I understood that it was purely because Trek was shot in California and had a pool of actors to pull from that were predominantly white. I am glad that there is potential for this to be addressed :)

Remember Trek is based on humanity getting over its own stupidity and reaching for the stars :D

Also, Action? Hell yes please, it is entertainment after all!

10. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Weither lead or supporting character, i would love to see Yeoh on a star trek series!

11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, nothing but white people in Los Angeles.

12. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I am confused.....how will Michelle Yeoh be on the series if she's not actually on Discovery?

13. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

Because the show will feature multiple crews. Our heroine will be on only one of them. Well, that we know so far at any rate.

14. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

I also think we will have multiple crews, at least on season 1. Maybe it is the story of Garth going mad on the Discovery becoming the enemy of the klingons and the Federation too?

15. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

The same was Thomas Jane was on The Expanse despite not being on the Rocinante

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Pretty sure Garth's not in this. :)

17. Guy Gardener

Give them rope and time.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

19. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same reason it doesn't translate the occasional Klingon words. There is a dramatic effect subroutine to the UT program.

20. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore