Michelle Yeoh will feature in Discovery, possibly as lead

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Captain of the USS Averof, Nov 23, 2016.

1. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Holy crap, listening about that stunt with the matress was, wow. She got so lucky she wasn't permanently disabled.

Can't wait to see her in the Captain's Chair.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    DaddlerTheDalek and RedAlert like this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

What is it with Starfleet? We've got a ship with a Chinese name, better make a Chinese woman captain!

Seriously, wtf? That's not how it should work.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Yeah, that's a bit awkward.

That's horrible. I wish I said it. :(

When you think about it, "double-zero" sounds more like an entry-level position.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

If you're going to. "Average age to captain" doesn't mean everyone who joins at 20 will be captain by 43, or even on average they will, it means most Officers who did get that far were in that rank by 43. It doesn't apply the other way around. There are 260 Captains in the RN, out of 6000 officers (as we're complaining about the number of ships at the moment these stats are available to hand). It could never logistically work that all officers doing 25 years service or so can expect to have four stripes or quit to make way for others. The same in my profession - although the average age of an Inspector (third rank) is probably under 40, most officers still do their 30 years as constables or sergeants. As in every job, there are far more jobs for grunts than supervisors.

In this particular case, I still think they'll cast someone young as the lead, they seem to be aiming for more of a Julian Bashir than a Ben Sisko for our main part. Plus, it's TV, and diverse cast or no, a female lead is going to be young and attractive. but it isn't inherently ridiculous that an old person could hold a middling rank.

6. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

TOS, DS9, VOY, and ENT had all American captains who commanded ships with American/English names.

7. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone get the joke with the name "Han Bo".
    A 'Hanbo' is a martial arts weapon.

[​IMG]

8. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Does this news tell us that we could have multiple Federation ships in the series?

9. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Why would it be silly? In the ST universe humans live way pass 100, so a 50 year old cadet would be no big deal for a human, if you're a Vulcan or any other long lived species, being 50 is like being a 20 year old human.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who said Starfleet did it was on purpose? Maybe the Captain herself put out a request for the command because of her Heritage?

In real life though, it seems intentional on the part of the writers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Zonker likes this.
  11. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I started watching...damnit forgot the title. The one that guest stars Tasha's sister Ishara Yar (and her outfits.) and the ensign at the conn, with excellent face acting for the crisis in the teaser, looks to be in his forties. He could pass for being of an age with Picard.

Also. Yeoh. Awesome.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, statistically speaking, more humans are Chinese than any other single nationality, so the odds of both the ship and the captain having Chinese names by chance should be higher than the odds of them both having English names, all else being equal. If anything, the improbability in the past has been the vast overabundance of English/European names and individuals in the Trek universe.

Although it should be pointed out that, although Michelle Yeoh is ethnically Han Chinese, she's actually Malaysian by nationality and is not a native speaker of Chinese (she knows Cantonese, but she had to learn her Mandarin dialogue in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon phonetically and apparently spoke with a heavy accent).

Shenzhou, by the way, is the name of China's current manned spaceflight program. Which makes it a good fit with ships named Enterprise and Discovery, the names of American space shuttles.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a particularly dumb thing indeed. Look out for Captain Yamato of the USS Banzai, Captain O'Connor of the USS Guinness and Captain Bush of the USS YeeHaw!

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but think of it this way. Every Asian character in Star Trek has pretty much been really Asian-American. Even exotic-sounding Hoshi Sato was yet just another Yank ;)

If Han Bo is supposed to be authentically Chinese, then having her ship be called the Shenzhou is more of an honor than a slap. And I agree with Christopher; I've always hated that Starfleet ships mostly seem to have American names when we're supposed to be running an interstellar organization here.

Zonker, jaime and Nyotarules like this.
  15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Well Vulcan ships had Vulcan names with Vulcan captains....
    Star Trek assumes all alien cultures are monolithic except humanity. After all Vulcans speak Vulcan and humans speak err... Human.?

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's so Vulcan about "Intrepid?"

17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm curious to know why it is any more strange to have an American captain (Kirk) commanding a ship with an American name (Enterprise). Really...I want to hear it.

:shrug:

Seriously, people over-think this shit sometimes. Everyone needs to take a stress pill and relax.

ARGEGEGGHHHHGEGEGEGHH!!!! TOO OLD FOR A COMMANDER AND CHINESE LADY ON A CHINESE SHIP. BAAADDDDD!!!!!!!

Jedi_Master likes this.
  18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The Intrepid wasn't a Vulcan ship. It was a Starfleet ship crewed by Vulcans.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's an extension of the pattern with new shows and movies. I think it's has good intentions like even animated shows now will have voice actors of the same ethnicity as the character. Or Wonder Woman has a woman director and Black Panther has a black director and often writers as well. Jessica Jones will have all women directors next season and so on. I wonder sometimes if it doesn't sort of set up a "separate but equal" situation while trying to be inclusive and culturally appropriate.

The first thought I had though was are they trying to appeal to the Chinese market? That might have more and more of an impact on shows/movies going forward.

20. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Yes, and don't forget Captain Varley of the USS Yamato. Don't let his name fool you, he was clearly Japanese!! :wtf:

DonaldVarley.jpg