Marvel films, it's time for a Black female lead

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Infern0, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

you missed my follow-up post. sure, the race and gender of the character is irrelevent.. except now these identity politics are in ALL the conversations, so changing the race and gender of the character would only bring attention to that aspect of it, and fold the movie into the topic.. and it won't ever be about the movie itself. Like... uh, the new Little Mermaid

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If what your saying is true it means you actually have issue with the world and not the movie. I am not a big fan either of how odious human has changed since social media and after Trump but the movie can't do anything about nor the skin color of the character because even if it was a white guy some people will find a reason to hate it because that is just what happens online. You should just watch the movie and judge it on it's merrits and ignore everything else if you want. Like people did before the internet. Jason

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything has context. They put out a films all of the time.. and Terminator Dark Fates inevitable failure just reminds you of why they fail when they seem to want to stamp an agenda on it. "seem" is the keyword there

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I may have figured out why Skynet needed a time machine, beyond killing John Conner.

Fresh resources, soil, water, and air to reclaim the cursed planet.

Once Earth is livable again, they might even think about reclaiming any of the billions of extinct species, except man.

If Skynet had a sense of humour, it might take cro-magnon forward for a second chance... Which might be why it needs a second chance, if they were comfortable competing for resources against homo-sapiens, when woosh, they were all brought forward to the 60th century.

;)

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

People aren't missing your point, they just don't agree with it.

You're saying that filmmakers and studios should pander to a small but vocal subset of audiences that resent casting anyone who is not a straight white male in the lead role even if there is no compelling storytelling reason not to do so, just to avoid their complaints, and the appearance of having an "agenda". The agenda apparently being acknowledging that people other than straight white males can be the hero of a film.

But if you give in to their demands, what reason will they have to ever change what they're doing? They would be successfully influencing your filmmaking decisions with their bigotry. So a time where such complaints fade into irrelevance will only be postponed because you're actively encouraging it to continue by giving in to their irrational demands.
    Can you imagine a Terminator film centered around a female lead who is being hunted because she's the mother of the future savior of humanity? What kind of agenda driven nonsense is that? Next thing you know, they'll want to make the lead character of the Alien films a woman too.

6. Jayson1

I don't think that is what they see they see the agenda as. The idea is a previous white character is being by anyone else because liberals hate straight white men and they will never get to be represented through the cool characters. It is why these things spark up around frachsies instead of shows like Atlanta or Glow and shows like Better Call Saul and Sillicon Valley are conviently ignored. It all comes from a fear of the future because they know America is becoming less white. Republicans remind them of this and when they see white men mocked online it reinforces those fears. Things that use to not bother white men and even found endearing now is seen as mean. Only way to make this fear go away is to convince these guys that white men will still matter in the future. Jason

7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I’ll never understand the mental gymnastics needed to reach the conclusion that since diversity is being increasingly popular, that liberals/Hollywood/lizard people hate white men. They don’t, with the possible exceptions of individuals no one does.

The problem is that certain people seem to get angry at the fact they share the planet with other kinds of people and hate seeing works of fiction that shows this. It’s like they’re so insecure that they need constant reassurance of how awesome other white guys are to get through the day. Captain Marvel showing up threatens this somehow.

8. Jayson1

It's less about the movies and more about the internet tends to make more angry and deppressed the longer you stay on it. They afraid of new idea's and feel they have no place in the world and is also why you also get incels,increase in white nationalism and even suicide I believe 7 out 10 suicides are white men. There are some different numbers but they all are pretty bad. Jason

9. Awesome Possum

I don’t think it’s the Internet itself. Just that isolated individuals find each other and create their own echo chambers that reinforce terrible ideas and behaviors.

Nyotarules likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not the internet, perhaps, but social media is being studied for increases in depression. Despite the connectedness, it seems that individuals feel more isolated, even in echo chambers.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-11/uop-smu110818.php

It's sad.

Armus and Jayson1 like this.
  11. Jayson1

I agree they do this but there are reasons why people want to do this and that is the are disconnected from the world. I think anger at is at purest form is from unhappiness with one's own life. As someone who has tried will myself into killing myself I know it is because I feel I have failed at life. Some just blame others while some blame themselves. Jason

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    fireproof78 and Armus like this.
  12. Awesome Possum

The incel community seems to be nothing but an echo chamber telling guys that they’re doomed to their fates because of how they look and that there is nothing they can do to escape it. It seems purposefully designed to keep them there and growing increasingly bitter and depressed. What’s worse is that they’re doing it to themselves.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

As with many things humans are very good at perpetuating self destructive behaviors that they believe will make them feel better.

14. Jayson1

Not me says me after just minutes ago eating a big bag of dorritos even though my weight issues are one of the reasons I have bad knees with no cartlidge. Jason

fireproof78 likes this.
  15. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

The human mind wasn't designed for the internet, smartphones, and social media in particular. Obviously if used correctly a lot of good can come out of the use of all three. But most people lack self control.

People can't go 2 minutes without checking their devices. I often find myself checking my phone while driving. I never thought I'd be one of those people.

Social media can cause depression because it can make people feel lonely and envious, even mocked by the desires they cannot fulfill. People need to know when to exercise self control and go off the grid. Why go on Instagram if it makes you miserable? People aren't meant to look at perfect strangers and see how beautiful and wonderful their lives are. It's not natural.

Part of the nastiness of the internet where people troll and trash each other has to do with nature of the medium. The internet is not the best medium for clarification necessary to have meaningful discourse about big issues. It's takes time and investment to give someone the chance to clarify their ideas, especially if you find something outrageous and glib.

jaime and Jayson1 like this.
  16. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

White, Straight and Male is not a default. It is not a blank slate. It, too, is an agenda.

What's the story reason for having a white, straight male lead in Die Hard?

BeatleJWOL, Nyotarules, YLu and 4 others like this.
  17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Or his dough nut eating, comic relief, buddy of colour. Don't people see that as an agenda in itself? It was part of the norm of the time--similar to the Legion of Super-Heroes being mainly white from the fifties onward--but, even subconsciously, it sent a message about race roles in society.

YLu and Professor Zoom like this.
  18. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

For a certain group--especially ones that benefit--they see no agenda in seeing people like themselves on screen. It's when it's the "other" that suddenly there's an "agenda" that's some how threatening.

Nyotarules likes this.
  19. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

People need to stop seeing an agenda in everything and give everyone's motives the benefit of the doubt. If a movie sucks it doesn't really matter why the studio cast a man or a woman, a white or a nonwhite. It's a fact that women and nonwhites are a bigger part of market demographics so it's not surprising that studios hire more women and people of color. That doesn't mean white males can't still be represented on screen. It shouldn't be a zero-sum game.

jaime and fireproof78 like this.
  20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I just thought of perfect casting. Bruce Willis as the cop buddy outside the tower, cracking jokes and eating doughnuts. And Michael B Jordan as John McClane.

jaime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.