Spoilers Let’s talk about the destruction of Trek utopia…

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Anters, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the pacing issues are due to budget. When they need to save money they slow down things and do exposition. The episode 9 looks like an action fest.

2. Yminale

DS9 is WAY better.

3. Yminale

Is it me or do people not get narrative structure. The Heroes are the one who bring hope. That's true for all series. I don't understand this. Do people really want a travelogue of the Federation and how wonderful it is.

Bast, Hythlodeus, burningoil and 6 others like this.
  4. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

I remember having similar thoughts about DS9 when it first aired, and then I came to appreciate it. Sisko was a broken man who was still reeling from past loss, and was committing extortion within the first 20 minutes of the 1st episode, there was still racism, bitterness, mistrust, theft and crime, money (jk), hubris. But it all created a richer & more relatable setting which was in an ideal position to speak to current struggles of society, rather than handwaving them away by saying, "We got over that. 'Cause it's the future." PIC can do the same, but in its own way.

5. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

What unsolved problems?

Most of this series inst even set in Federation space let alone a federation starship! So yes its going to be bleaker. Its never been sunshine and rainbows outside the federation boarders.

6. Yminale

What Picard says is "We NEED to get over that. We have to EMBRACE the Future" - does anyone pay attention to the actual episode.

iarann and Hythlodeus like this.
  7. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Only to the extent necessary to drive the chosen narrative, apparently.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  8. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nor inside the Federation's borders either

iarann, Hythlodeus and cooleddie74 like this.
  9. Racefuel

Racefuel Commodore Commodore

I didn't say I didn't like TNG, I was refuting the idea that it's a "masterpiece".

Stop assuming shit.

Hythlodeus likes this.
  10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

24th Century Trek in my order of preference:

PIC
    DS9
    TNG
    VOY
    (insert gap)
    TNG Movies

11. AlanC9

AlanC9 Commodore Commodore

Depends on what you mean by "solved." The PIC take is that human nature isn't actually different. You can build structures which let people make better decisions, and as long as you work to maintain those structures properly they will function properly. But you don't ever get to stop doing that work. As Q said, the trial never ends.

SJGardner and Greg Cox like this.
  12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Admiral

Exactly. When I bitch about TNG being treated as the Gold Standard for Trek shows, that doesn't mean I'm bashing TNG. I watched the show religiously back in the day, enjoyed it very much (after the first season or so), have written at least four TNG novels, and will cop to feeling a genuine pang of nostalgia when Will and Deanna popped up a few weeks ago.

TNG was a great show. I only object to people assuming that "STAR TREK" equals "like TNG." I prefer more variety in my Trek, as opposed to insisting that, say, vanilla is the only "real" ice cream. One can enjoy vanilla and chocolate-chip mint, depending on what you're in the mood for.

Bast, MrPicard and SJGardner like this.
  13. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    That even applies to antiheroes. Look at the Godfather movies. The Corleones are in many respects morally repugnant people who do horrible things but to the extent positive and heroic messages are conveyed they're conveyed by the Corleones who are the protagonists in a world of people even worse than they.

Somebody has to be the "good guy" and the narrative is under their direction.

14. Lt.Smokey

Lt.Smokey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haven't seen ep 8? It answered any lingering questions I had on this.

My takeaway from Trek was never that the Federation instills hope but that hope exists inside of humanity itself. The federation is overall good, but flawed like any political organization and it takes good people to correct those flaws again and again. If the Federation reaches perfection, then Trek is dead, IMO.

Greg Cox likes this.
  15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Admiral

And, honestly, any "utopia" in which everybody is evolved and civilized all the time, and never swears or smokes or loses their temper or makes bad decisions or whatever, sounds more like some sort of dystopia to me.

Of the sort that Captain Kirk would probably blow up. :)

16. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Arguably The Best Poster Named cooleddie Moderator

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'd launch a trilithium probe into that utopia's Sun and in a Vulcan heartbeat. :p

ALF and Turtletrekker like this.
  17. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I have to agree with that. I really like DS9 and its characters.

But still I see TNG as a masterpiece and so also the first three seasons of Voyager.

18. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not assuming anything. I just got the impression that you weren't too fond of TNG.

Now when that is sorted out, I must state that I still find TNG a masterpiece and that Star trek reached its highest point with TNG, DS9 and the first three seasons of Voyager.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  19. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Where exactly does Seven say that?

Turtletrekker likes this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a huge gulf between "I don't think TNG is a masterpiece" and "I don't like TNG."

Now, I personally do not like TNG. I prefer shows like SG-1, Farscape, or Seaquest over TNG. None of those I would classify as "masterpieces of fiction," though they have their moments.

TNG is a fun show, at times. But, I would not call it a masterpiece. But, then, there are few shows I would use that moniker about. I think that TOS' "Balance of Terror" qualifies.