Kurtzman: 2 more live-action shows in the works

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by The Habs Fan, Jan 13, 2020.

1. CuriousCaitian

CuriousCaitian Commander Red Shirt

It would, and likewise. Also to be clear, I don't mind dark themes, I just prefer them in moderation, and handled with more restraint than is generally the case in current media.

Armus likes this.
  2. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree dark themes are not bad by themselves. just like idealism isn't bad by itself, both can be very good, if handled in the right proportions and, most importantly, with high quality writing.
    A lot of adult-themed TV right now seems a bit like comic books in the 90s; thinking they have to be dark, abrasive and pessimistic in order to be good, when really, you just need solid writing.
    But in the good news, considering the number of high quality (and often quite sophisticated) cartoons that have been produced since Avatar: the Last Airbender, the Trek cartoon (if that's still happening) has a real chance of being high quality and more balanced.

Armus and CuriousCaitian like this.
  3. CuriousCaitian

CuriousCaitian Commander Red Shirt

I hadn't considered the comics parallel before, but it's a really good one. Much in the way every comic thought it had to ape Frank Miller or Alan Moore to succeed, TV is apparently stuck thinking GoT or The Walking Dead is the winning formula.

The planned animated serie(s) is/are my big hope, right now. The quality of animated output at the moment is fantastic - the new She-Ra's my current favourite TV thing because the characters are so rich and compelling and its themes, some of which are pretty dark, are handled really deftly - and I'm crossing my fingers any new TrekToon can keep that trend going.

Orphalesion likes this.
  4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Some of them could be years away.

I think they're gonna see where they are with Picard in Season 3, then maybe use it as a backdoor pilot for continuing adventures in the 25th Century with a new Enterprise-F. Just a feeling.

Commander Richard likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to the Picard prequel novel Last Best Hope...
    Worf is captain of the USS Enterprise after Picard leaves
    So maybe a certain actor is going to pitch his own spin off again.:p

6. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the fun part is, just like Alan Moore in Watchmen actually tried to highlight the better parts of humanity, so were the (first four seasons) of Game of Thrones not the "dark, hopeless" world many name them as.
    All Game of Thrones did was set out not to give its characters any slack for being the main characters. There was still a lot of uplifting and positive moments, especially when it came to highlight the love (especially friendship or familial love) people can have for one another.
    The latter four seasons...well that was two bro-dudes that had run out of material to adapt (or were ignoring material they hadn't adapted yet) and just writing what they thought would be "kewl" or "subvert expectations, even if it meant ignoring the main plot.

Walking Dead...yeah...you got me there. But that series' idea was flawed from the beginning "A Zombie Apocalypse that Never Ends" creates a (fairly) static scenario that basically negates any hope for (long term) improvement. In that show it can only get worse.

Alan Roi and Armus like this.
  7. Kzinti

Kzinti Captain Captain

i hope not!
    the captain worf stuff always sounded super lame to me

Campe and F. King Daniel like this.
  8. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

I just want them to make a traditional Star Trek series about a ship and crew that go exploring and visiting new worlds and discovering new alien species. Basically the sort of stuff Trek series used to be about.

Armus, N-121973 and Kelso like this.
  9. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind that, but...

I can't imagine Zhaban mentioning him as a potential crew member for Picard's mission in episode 2 if he was still in command at that time.

10. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Kzinti and Orphalesion like this.
  11. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'd think with their stated desire to keep the various series feeling distinct from one another, that a traditional series for the purists would be a no brainer. At the moment, however, the front-runner for that type of show would be Pike on the Enterprise.

Was he really suggesting him as a crew member or just someone who could help? If anything, someone still in the service, with pull in Starfleet, would be the logical choice to call for help, but would be the last person Picard would call given his stated reasoning

Armus likes this.
  12. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well,

It follow on from, "...you'll need a crew... "

13. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ah, you are right, forgot about that bit.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

But, we already had that...

Alan Roi likes this.
  15. CaptainXaviOfEarth

CaptainXaviOfEarth Commander Red Shirt

16. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Captain Pike series is the one I want most.

It would NEVER happen, but, I'm still very much interested in a Star Trek series that fulfills the premise that Enterprise was originally supposed to. The idea was that the first season of Enterprise was ground-based and focused on the political situation on Earth and the building of the first starship to go into space. Once launched, the first humans out in space learn what a dangerous place it truly is. Not to say that characters should be killed off left and right, but, emphasize the danger in a way that Enterprise was not able to.

777 and Armus like this.
  17. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I really hope that one of these series is a 25th century Enterprise-F show to start a new era for Trek. I am so tired of all of these prequels (thank god for PIC).

Armus likes this.
  18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sick of these prequels, give us an Enterprise in Discovery's 32nd century.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sick of prequels and Enterprises. Give me a whole new ship and crew.

20. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Voyager-A.