Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Endymion, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Then I guess most of the world must be one big lowest commom denominator. It would explain why magazines with Eva Langoria on the cover would out sell ones with Cameron Manhiem.

I also love how many forget that Voyager was loosing it's audience rapidly before Jeri Ryan joined the cast. Thanks to her image, there isn't a man alive between 18-40 that doesn't know who 7of9 is. Even Robert Picardo said: "If putting her image on even magazine cover helps me keep my job, then I'm all for it." If he can be greatful for her, why can't Trek fans?

2. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Exodus

You have a point. But as a woman it begs the question why need a woman with a walking set of boobs is going to make the show better. T'Pol as a character was the walking set of boobs for Enterprise and that did not help.

I am not going to say having big busted women should be banned. What I want to say is that there are more to a woman then the sum of her parts.

3. Wicca who Wonta

Wicca who Wonta Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree! And not only men watch Star Trek either so in the case of Seven there was more than just her body that generated more viewers.. :p

You might be right about that some men tuned in because of Seven's catsuit and big breasts, but I also think that some tuned in because they liked the character. I'm a woman and I thoroughly liked Seven's character and I actually think the show got better after she joined the crew. And her quest for individuality was really interesting to follow. I was annoyed at the catsuit, but I could overlook that because the catsuit was not the only thing the character had going for her. The character had a lot more depth than that. :thumbsup:

4. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Ripley
    I agree with you!
    I do like Seven of Nine, not because she has a 36D chest. I like her because she was a strong but very weak character at the same time. Strong with the information she gained from the Borg, but weak with the information she never had to deal with as a normal child and a normal teenager.
    Never did like the catsuit with the breast mold to show off both breasts. As it gave Seven, as it did with Jadzia Dax and T’Pol not able to work well with the other women on the show. True, Seven had to deal with Janeway. But, there was never really a major side shot of the two women. The reason I point that out, if they want to show off Seven they do not want to show off the other woman at the same time. Seven did not have a very good one on one interaction with Torris. Nor did Jadzia Dax have a strong interaction with Kira. Nor did T’Pol have a strong interaction with Hoshi.
    Has anyone ever looked at the way women had to interact with Seven, Jadzia or T’Pol when dealing with other women? I have, and I find it shocking in a way.

5. exodus

Yes, I agree.

Also to add to this, I see Seven's catsuit as a symbol and a message. A symbol of perfection, after all she is Borg. Isn't her "perfect" body wrapped in a catsuit a symbol of perfection which is everything it means to be Borg. It's also a message, a message of beauty that nobody would have ever seen had she not been freed from the Borg. Image millions of people with their own outer and inner beauty never to be seen because they were taken by the Borg. Same with Icheb, he was intelligent but his gift would have never been discovered as a Borg drone.

Both Seven & Icheb show us what we lost as well as what we gained.

6. exodus

Jadzia & Kira were best friends. Kira was outraged by her death and even confronted Dukat about it.

7. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Yes Kira was upset with Dukat about the death of Jadzia.

But think about the 6 years with Jadzia and Kira. Did they really worked with each other? True, they worked with each other with other males around and there was times they were walking with each other. But they never really faced each other to get a side shot of each other.

Still on the topic, Jadzia and Leeta only one time worked with each other. That was just a few shots with the two women and they never did face each other.

Is it me or is it my feeling that big busted women on the shows never did work much with the other women. Look at seven, there was conflict with Torris so they stay away from each other. But, there was a feeling that Seven could only talk with the other male crewmembers period. She had to work with Janeway, but the shots were side shots or for some reason the room started to go dark.

Anyone noticed that, the room is much darker when Janeway and Seven were in the same room? It was like on I got a black uniform and the walls around me are dark also so you have a hard time to see my bustline. But with Seven, bright silver and a lighted background. How strange.

8. Casper

Casper Ensign Newbie

well i can think of one reason the atmosphere was darkish when the two interacted ...hehe
    and yes there were side shots of janeway and seven facing each other

9. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

There were a few side shots of them facing each other. But, I did find them to be uncommon and more inline to be in the dark. But I object to seeing Seven with men with the full chest out with it being bright as day. When with women it was so dark it was hard to get a very clear view of the two women.

It was the same with Troy and Crusher on TNG. When Troy in the low cut V neck had to interact with Crusher, she had that cape over her that covered her up. I think that Crusher lost that cape when Troy lost her V neck uniform.

10. exodus

:wtf:

What in the world are you talking about?

11. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

If you were a woman you would understand :)

12. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I see-What a wonderful conversational stopper :vulcan:

U don't undertand or conventionally put-If U loved me U would know what I wanted. :wtf:

"Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical, that's the only planet in this galaxy that can make than claim".
    - Captain Kirk "Elaan of Troyius

-Shatinator :)

13. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Time to move on Shatinator, that is an order Lieutenant JG :)

14. Casper

Casper Ensign Newbie

back to the topic...i completely understand how kate felt.....and it is unfortunately true that bringing seven in as a tits and ass thing brought up the ratings....it was insulting to the viewers...well to me and a few others as well....but it worked didn't it!...sadly

however if it wasn't jeri ryan it would have been some one else....and admittedly.....she did a damn good job of bringing a bit of depth into the character at some stage....and kate acknowledges that......
    i don't like seven much at all....eccept of corse when she is in a scene with janeway....

15. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

Your not trying to pull rank on me & contaminate the space-time continuum with your rampant ill-logic destructual kill ray are you?….SIR!

"I remember Koloth telling me he once traded insults with Kirk on a space station near the federation boarder..."

-Lt. Dax "Trials & Tribble-ations"

-Shatinator

16. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

No I am not. Look 7 was ok as a woman. But that set of tits and the hips molded to her body was insulting to a number of women.

What my point is this, both Torris and Janeway in my judgment are around the same bust size. If I had to give a cup size I would say around a B to a C cup. It is hard to tell with TV, as the outfits can make you look bigger or smaller.

With Jeri Ryan, she has been reported to being a 36D. When she is on Voyager she looks much bigger then a 36D. How a woman is outfitted can make the same look different. It was made clear they wanted her to look bigger then she was. That is what I do not like or do not care about. :mad:

17. exodus

Sounds like women with low self esteem.

Women with good self esteem and confident with the way they look weren't the least but insulted by how Seven looked, they understood Seven was just a character and in no way reflected upon them in the real world. It's also why thousands of women workout everyday to be healthy and in shape. They are proud to wear form fitting clothes to show off all that hard work.

The quote from Elaan of Troyus by Shatinator sums it up perfectly. :thumbsup:

18. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

It is not about low self esteem.

Exodus, you would feel insulted if there was a guy on star trek having a uniform showing off his package. What about an alian they need to use 10 pairs of socks to inflate his size in a jock strap. Would you not feel insulted?

So why as a woman I should not feel insulted with the idea to make Jeri Ryan look bigger in the chest then what she was in real life. I do not have a problem with Jeri Ryan with her pictures of her in the real world. She looks normal and enjoys herself.

But Jeri Ryan has posted in a number of times she wish they burned that cat outfit. She hates that cat outfit. She has told people she did not like what she had to do. Now if you look at Jeri Ryan with herself in the public and Jeri Ryan as 7 you will see a huge difference in looks. I am not making it up, it is just that it takes away from a woman if you are only noticed by your looks. Not to say looks are bad, it is just that you can dress yourself to look good and dress yourself to look like a skank.

19. Malcom

Malcom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, let's have a man in a speedo every week and see if men want to watch that.

20. exodus

I've meet Jeri Ryan and I know what she really looks like. She still has big boobs and a small waist.

Why would I be insulted by what a fictional characters looks like on TV? Riker & Picard wore form fitting pants and you could often times see their "package". Why would that be insulting to me?

It is about self esteem.

If I was smaller or bigger down below than what I saw on TV doesn't matter. As long as I'm secure with myself, what someone else has is no reflection upon me and therefore is no insult. Anybody with good self esteem isn't threatned or insulted by a fantasy.

Don't women tell guys all the time: "It doesn't matter what she wears, women should be seen as a whole person and not just for there bodies." So Seven is a highly intelligent women, one who is equal if not superior to a man but because of the way she dresses all that is reduced to "skank".

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.