John's Star Trek Timeline Discussion

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JonnyQuest037, Feb 19, 2021.

1. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

So after a few years of starting up new threads with various questions relating to my Star Trek Timeline (Here's Part 1, going up to the 23rd Century, and here's Part 2, covering the 24th Century shows), I figured I'd just start a dedicated thread to it. This way I can have everything in once place, and I can post my questions in a single thread.

So here's my inaugural question, one that's been stumping me for a few weeks. I'm hoping people here can help me brainstorm: What should I title my sections covering Deep Space Nine and Voyager?

I put the TOS era under THE FIVE-YEAR MISSION and the TNG era under THE CONTINUING MISSION. Those were both easy enough, since I was drawing from the spoken word intros of each show, but since neither DS9 nor VOY have any spoken word intros, nothing is immediately suggesting itself to me.

What I want is a short phrase that makes it obvious which series I'm covering without using the title of the show itself. So under those parameters, what would you call the seven year era where Ben Sisko is commanding Deep Space Nine, or where Voyager is traveling home through the Delta Quadrant? THE EMISSARY ARRIVES seems a bit pretentious, and LOST IN THE DELTA QUADRANT is not especially accurate. Does anybody have any better suggestions?

And, if you have any questions or suggestions concerning my ST Timeline, I'd love to hear 'em! I'd like to keep this thread going beyond just these initial questions. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Seal87, Lord Garth and BK613 like this.
  2. ChallengerHK

ChallengerHK Captain Captain

Maybe "The Dominion War" for DS9.

danellis and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  3. JonnyQuest037

Well, that's not bad, but it only covers about half of the series, since the Dominion wasn't introduced until the end of season 2 and the war didn't start until the end of season 5. I'd like something that covers the entire seven years.

Maybe something like INTO THE GAMMA QUADRANT? Something about Bajor? Those were elements that spanned all seven seasons of DS9.

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Is there a reason for this to be in TOS, or was that an error?

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  5. JonnyQuest037

Oh, damn. I meant to put this thread into the General Trek Forum, since it relates to several of the shows and movies. Sorry about that. @1001001, could you please move it for me?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  6. JonnyQuest037

An error. If you can move it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Indeed.

729437E6-4003-476C-BD53-A94476AB5E8C.jpeg

publiusr and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  8. JonnyQuest037

Thanks! If you want to delete the comments about it being in the TOS Forum, please feel free! :)

9. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't know about Voyager but (AT) THE BAJORAN WORMHOLE might work.

10. JonnyQuest037

I like it! That keeps it pretty simple, which just what I want. :techman:

Maybe VOY should just be INTO THE DELTA QUADRANT?

11. BK613

Or just IN as INTO sounds purposeful, like they meant to go there.

12. JonnyQuest037

It's a shame that THE VOYAGE HOME is already taken... ;)

BK613 likes this.
  13. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Waht about "Gamma Quadrant" and "Delta Quadrant" for DS9 and Voyager.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

PRE-DOMINION WAR sounds good to me. Or PRELUDE TO THE DOMINION WAR.

15. JonnyQuest037

I'd rather just one title for the whole seven-year era. Breaking the series up into smaller chunks rather defeats the purpose, IMO.

16. BK613

GAMMA QUADRANT TRANSIT?

17. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't stop TNG from having "The Emissary" and DS9 from having "Emissary" as episode titles. Nor did it stop STV from using "The Final Frontier" when it was already used in a Diane Carey Star Trek novel.

18. JonnyQuest037

And TNG used "First Contact" as the title of both an episode and a movie. But if you can avoid potential confusion by not repeating a title, why wouldn't you?

19. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about what a lot of people called DS9: "BOLDLY SITTING."
    :)

Xhiandra likes this.
  20. JonnyQuest037

Since I'd like this thread to be a place to discuss ST Timeline questions in general, I thought I'd link to some of my previous timeline threads on the BBS, to give some examples of the kinds of questions I've love to discuss here.

Please remember that most of these threads are more than a year old at this point, so if you want to discuss to any of the points raised in one of them, please be considerate to the mods and do so in this thread. You can always link to or quote from a specific comment in a previous thread if you need to refer back to something there.

"Attached" Chronology Question: When did Beverly meet Picard? (Discussing a point where I disagree with the Okuda Chronology)

A Thought About Ceti Alpha V (A theory about what happened to Ceti Alpha V after it exploded)

David Marcus - What did Kirk know and when did he know it? (When did Kirk find out that he was David Marcus' father?)

Did any of Trek '09's backstory happen to the TOS characters? (In which I open the gigantic can of worms of asking if anything established in ST09 should also apply to the Prime Universe)

Did Pike replace Garth as Fleet Captain? (A theory I considered but ultimately discarded for my timeline)

Exactly WHEN in 1930 does "City on the Edge of Forever" take place? (Trying to narrow down an exact month in 1930 that TCOTEOF takes place in - This was a very cool discussion)

How many times did Kirk falsify his log? (Busting apart the myth that TOS Kirk was a habitual rule breaker, Part I)

How many times did Kirk disobey orders? (Busting apart the myth that TOS Kirk was a habitual rule breaker, Part II)

Jack Crusher was kind of a crappy dad (Whimsical thread in which I question why Jack Crusher never got around to recording any more holomessages for Wesley)

Mirror Universe - Alternate Timeline or No? (Is the MU a parallel universe or an alternate timeline, and is there a difference between the two?)

ST Chronology Idea - Kirk, Command School, Carol & David Marcus (One of the big ideas in my Chronology, in which I theorize that Kirk spent a year at Command School from 2257-2258. This idea helped me work out a LOT of problems)

Timeline Question: Starfleet Academy Academic Year? (In which I try to nail down exactly when the academic year at Starfleet Academy takes place)

"...Your last so-called World War." (Discussion on whether or not WWIII and the Eugenics Wars were the same thing)