John Williams to Score Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CoveTom, May 2, 2013.

1. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't usually venture over to the non-Trek forums, but I saw this news item and was very excited:

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/05/0...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I have absolutely nothing against Michael Giacchino. In fact, I think many of his scores are wonderful. But I am totally in support of John Williams continuing his association with the Star Wars franchise. In this case, I think he is a better choice than Giacchino.

What does everyone else think?

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Brilliant move on JJ's part. Old Wars fans would have been pissed if Williams wasn't at least asked first.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Episode VII definately doesn't deserve John Williams, but atleast the movie will have atleast one thing going for it (not that it will really help, considering all the thigns it has going against it, but anything positive about the movie at this point is good news).

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah!!!!!!!! John Williams is the best!

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

ALL Star Wars deserves John Williams. Anyway, I see no reason whatsoever why Episode VII couldn't be better than Episodes I, II, III or even VI...

6. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a lot of Toms to kick off a thread.

Also, I hope John Williams lives forever, especially since Disney plans to be making Star Wars movies forever.

7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

All right! :D JJ isn't stupid and he knows John Williams made Star Wars music what it is. I'm glad he kept up with John.

8. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Exciting news! How old is John now?

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

81 according to IMDB.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Agreed. Not exactly sure what VII has "going against it" right now. At this point, it's too early to form much of an opinion at all.

11. Savage Dragon

^This is the internet. You must form an opinion with as little information as possible. It's the law.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I hate the internet. Too many nerds.

13. Savage Dragon

Say's the guy posting on the Sci-Fi section of a Star Trek BBS.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes. Says that guy. :shifty:

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

:D

Even if the films are crud, if they produce another 'Duel of the Fates' they will be worth it !

16. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Whew! :beer:

17. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. The soundtrack of TPM is its one redeeming quality.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I approve, with some caveats.

Of course, he should score it. It's a good thing, of course, that he is doing it, but I also know that, at 81, he probably won't be doing all the films in the new trilogy.

In my opinion, he should work with another up and coming composer and collaborate on this or the next film. First that would bring a slightly different edge to it while still conforming to most of the stuff that came before in a general aesthetic sense.. and when Williams decides to retire, that new person will earn the reigns. so, in a way wit could be like Star Trek First Contact, composed by Goldsmith and his son. By the way, that is a great score for a blockbuster film. Of course the reason that Joel Goldsmith helped was a little different but it worked nonetheless.

I also want to make it clear that the music on the prequels isn't nearly as gripping as the music for the original films. Each prequel had one or two new themes that were memorable, but the rest was usually a bit too generic for my tastes. For example, when Anakin wins the podrace, the Yayy! music is so generic.

I also think the new "non-episode" standalone adventures could benefit by not being scored by Williams. a new edge would really work. In fact, I can't help but to personally looking forward to those films, good stories set in the universe (galaxy) of Star Wars than anything that can be done with Skywalker clan. I just don't think that is going to be all that fresh and interesting. I'm not saying it will be bad. I'm just stating what I am more interested in. I want to see dark, dramatic, and exciting stories set in that world. I have become so cynical of Hollywood and I would love to NOT be about those films.

19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I like Return of the Jedi a lot. Short of JJ Abrams being replaced by an alternate universe version of himself (from a universe where he isn't a complete idiot) there is no way VII could be as good as even EP 1 or 2, and they weren't very good.

Just for full disclosure, I hate JJ Abrams. I personally think he's a complete hack, and the fact that he gets to go ruin my second favorite Sci Fi series (after already destroying the future of my favorite sci fi series) makes me angry. The fact that he's allowed anywhere near VII is what that movie has going against it. I'd rather have george lucas be in charge of VII. Heck, I'd rather have Michael Bay be in charge of VII. JJ already copies him (explosions, boobs, the fact that they are both allergic to actually telling a story) and atleast Bay will use less lensflares as he's taking a dump on a beloved series. If the movies doomed to be a mindless action flick for the Transformers fans (like ST 2009), you might as well get the actual Transformers guy, not his pupil.

To be clear, Bay sucks. Transformers 2 was an abomination (and also written by the writers of Star Trek 2009, unsurprisngly). But, atleast you know how Bay will destroy something. As much as I say JJ copies Bay (and he does) he also has the ability to create new ways for a movie to suck (like lensflares). I can't imagine what he'll do to Star Wars. After his movie comes out, we'll all be wishing that Lucas was back, and he'll probably be laughing about how everyone took him for granted.

I really hope this post doesn't create a big fight, I just wanted to make my feelings clear. I hate abrams, he can do no good in my opinion. I won't convince his fans he's horrible, they won't convince me he's not. I just figured that posting "JJ Abrams is the biggest hack in the world" wouldn't be a good way of explaining what this movie has going against it, so I made a longer post.

20. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

This pleases me. Of course they had to at least ask if he'd be up for it. If he wasn't, I really do think Michael Giacchino would be a fantastic successor.

Glad to hear that he seems to still be going strong at 81. :)