Spoilers It’s Official... (probably TV spoilers here too)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Jan 24, 2020.

1. GaryH

GaryH Commander Red Shirt

I don’t think we can assume that as it is a Michelle Yeoh starring vehicle and she is now in the future. I suppose they could send her back in time during the third season of Discovery (or resurrect the Prime
    Version of her character) but I would assume they want her to be able to continue appear in future Discovery seasons as a guest character at least in between Section 31 seasons.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which was my point, I was saying that he didn't have an original source to worry about being consistent with, so he was able to do whatever he wanted.

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And my point is that he didn't hesitate to throw continuity to the wind, and contradict his own prior works. (And much more freely than Doyle ever did.)

Greg Cox likes this.
  4. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    So will there be any effort to “wrap up” the litverse?

Or will it be left hanging with the last voyager relaunch novel coming out soon as I understand it?

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, I'm still waiting on Trial Run.

6. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Still up in the air. David Mack indicated a while back on Twitter that there were discussions and plans at least being tossed around, but whether or not they’ll solidify into some sort of Litverse finale is unknown.

I mean, Picard just premiered, just made it official that the state of post-Nemesis lit is officially no longer compliant with canon. Even with the most recent TNG novels having been written with that specter directly overhead, they were written seemingly without having to consider trying to weld canon. It’s a little soon to be expecting any kind of response, because it’s not like the novels get advance notice of what’s coming down the pike for the shows.

OCD Geek and Markonian like this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

David Mack claims there's a plan, but it shouldn't surprise any of us if there's no wrap-up.

Brefugee likes this.
  8. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Maybe we can get at least one or two novels that concludes the litverse in some definitive fashion, as opposed to SW legends where things were basically left hanging.

But I suppose that might be too much to hope for.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

So... You want a holiday? ;)
    As some dude in some other series put it: "Indeed".

I'm fairly relaxed about this, we're getting Voyager's finale, Collateral Damage sort of covers TNG I suppose but I haven't got to it yet. The one big void is DS9 - primarily the plot with Sisko's daughter and Bashir. Maybe they hoped to get to it, maybe time ran out. I guess it depends what they want to sell - the new material takes precedence, but if they keep the old material in print or digitally available and it still sells, that could make the case for a small but effective wrap-up I suppose.

10. Kowalskn

Kowalskn Ensign Newbie

I really enjoyed some of the books and the writers as they pulled some if the series together with titan and DS9 TNG and even ST. I do hope they can bring some of it together but it will be hard to resurrect the borg and re kill data.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not just that, the whole history going back to 2381 at least is totally different. Pretty much the only way to create even the illusion of reconciling them is to either reset the timeline as a story point, or pull a Dallas and say that everything that happened since then didn't really happen.

12. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, don't even get me started. I'm a pretty big Dallas fan and that whole 'dream season' was one of the worse ideas they could have come up with. Even going with the cliché 'he elaborately faked his death to get special treatment' or something would have been better (and would have created some conflict with JR and Mark Graison as well). But it was all a dream? WTF. And I happened to like some of the story lines from that season. All gone. And the episode where Bobby just blew the entire season away in a puff of smoke. Everything. The only thing nominally saved was the huge drop in oil prices at the time. I eventually got into the new storylines but whenever I rewatch that whole sequence of events it still riles me up :brickwall:

But speaking of the litverse and Dallas I remember the 2012 revival series ended much the same way we feel like the litverse is ending. They thought they had a good chance of getting a 4th season so the 3rd season ended with some explosive (literally) cliffhangers. But TNT decided to cancel it after the season was over so all that was left hanging. A terrible way to end the show and TNT got some flak for that. I, too, thought they should have gotten even an abbreviated season to tie things up, or a telemovie finale, or something. I'll admit the original Dallas series ended perfectly in 1991. Most of the major story threads were tied up except for one, which was perfect. Did JR shoot himself or not? That's kind of how I wish they could end the litverse if it has to end. Tie up the major story threads and have them go off into the sunset on their continuing voyagers. Maybe have one major cliffhanger (maybe even end with the Super-Supernova).

GaryH, OCD Geek and MrPicard like this.
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's why I like the way Joss Whedon handled finales, and the way many shows since have followed his lead. He almost always wrote his finales to work as either a season finale laying groundwork for what lay ahead or a series finale that provided reasonable closure in the event of cancellation. It's smarter to prepare for both options than to just assume you'll get renewed and leave things hanging. I don't blame the networks for things like that, because they don't make renewal and cancellation decisions on a whim, but based on what they literally can or cannot afford to pay for, so they usually have little choice in the matter. I'd say it's up to the showrunners to be realistic about their prospects and prepare for contingencies. The only time when it would make sense to get mad at the network is if they did actually promise renewal and then reneged.

GaryH, ATimson, OCD Geek and 3 others like this.
  14. Damian

There were a couple of problems I had with TNT. During the 3rd season there were strong indications they would get one final season, which is why they ended the way they did. The last episode aired 09/22/2014. Then TNT didn't actually announce the cancellation until 10/03, about 2 weeks later. I remember a lot of fans were not happy and swore off TNT.

And it didn't help that they split up the last season. The first half of season 3 ended in April and didn't pick up again until August. And they kept moving it around. If you were a casual fan you probably would have just given up on it. I almost forgot about it coming back on myself and I'm a pretty hard core Dallas fan (I have the entire series/movies on DVD).

I guess it's my love of consistency that attracted me to Dallas in the first place. Other than the whole 'dream year' fiasco, Dallas did have a pretty tight internal continuity. Sometimes they would reference and pick up on story threads from years prior in the show. Not sure who kept track of all the various storylines to keep them consistent--Leonard Katzman maybe since he was the show runner for most of its run. And there was no Wikipedia sites to refer to when they had to check on something.

MrPicard likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't see the issue either way. None of the books I've bought and enjoyed are going anywhere. Time to see what the Kurtzman chapter of Trek brings us.

Brefugee likes this.
  16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'll cop to being greatly vexed as a teenager, back in the seventies, when a new creative team would take over one of my favorite comic books and briskly sweep everything the previous team had been doing, including long-running plot lines and sub-plots, under the rug. I'm not sure what was worse: when the current storylines would be wrapped up in a quick and perfunctory manner ("and then the aliens went back to their own dimension never to be seen again") or when they were just dropped without any closure whatsoever. (Don McGregor's "Black Panther vs the Klan" saga famously went unfinished for YEARS.)

Nowadays I have more sympathy for the new folks, who may well have been acting under an editorial mandate to try to boost sales with a bold new direction, but it was still annoying. Alas, this just is part of being a fan. Sometimes stories don't get finished, for a variety of real-life reasons.

I still want that third DOCTOR PHIBES movie, damnit. :)

OCD Geek, BillJ, TheAlmanac and 2 others like this.
  17. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

King Solomon ‘s Frog!!!

Greg Cox likes this.
  18. Damian

Or one more Dallas movie dammit! I need to know who bombed Christopher's car, and what secret love child of JR's John Ross found, and what's the deal with Harris Ryland and the CIA......well I can go on and on.

And I want one more Deep Space Nine novel dammit (figured I'd throw that in there just for kicks).

GaryH likes this.
  19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Damn that Frog! Drove me nuts that Kirby straight-up ignored pretty much everything that had been done with the Black Panther since he'd left Marvel, especially all that great stuff Don McGregor been doing right before Kirby. All of McGregor's storylines and supporting cast just vanished so that Kirby could pick up where he left off many years before.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything. :)

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman who has to visualise a small boy's Lynx to access his powers is the ONLY version I accept:

[​IMG]

Greg Cox likes this.