Spoilers Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny grade and discussion

How do you rate Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny?

• Total voters
KC shows how it works — occult into parapsychology and all the stuff being researched in the sixties. But there’s a fairly limited palette for all that Von Daniken, Telekinetic weapons stuff. It worked in that one film really well, but pretty soon the ancient aliens stuff would get too repetitive.
Sure, but Indiana Jones has shown that some other mythological and such time things are real, at least for his world. Why not explore something else? Heck, go after Atlantis? Journey to the Center of the Earth Indiana Jones style? Riddle of the Sphinx?

I think it just requires a small amount of creativity.

LucasArts "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis". The best Indy sequel never filmed....

Why not make an animated Indiana Jones movie or series of movies?
Sounds like a video game. Sure this hasn’t been done already?

Saw it today in IMAX and really enjoyed it. Didn't have any problems with the de-aging effects or the CGI in general, and certainly no issues with PWB who I thought was great (but I'm a Fleabag fanatic so that was probably par for the course.)

Was a big baggy in the middle, and what they did to Mutt was a cheap trick. They could have at least had him MIA which would have given some hope, but overall I don't get the negativity from some people.

Hell given the fact that I'm a little lukewarm when it comes to Crusade and this might wind up my third favourite Indy movie.

Oh and @The Nth Doctor thank you for mentioning the dragon, I didn't put two and two together. In fact I think this is a film that will benefit from a second watch.

Sure, but Indiana Jones has shown that some other mythological and such time things are real, at least for his world. Why not explore something else? Heck, go after Atlantis? Journey to the Center of the Earth Indiana Jones style? Riddle of the Sphinx?

I think it just requires a small amount of creativity.

Those work. But then, where do get you goon army in those?

fair enough, lol. The thing is *defining the other side*. Which is why we get Nazis a lot. Hard to cause offence suggesting they are shady.
The Mob/Organized Crime.

3rd World Dictator.

Soviet agents.

Chinese agents.

Fortune hunters/mercenaries.

Again, creativity is the goal here. If you want I'll work on a write up based upon 60s era pulp fiction.

The Mob/Organized Crime.

3rd World Dictator.

Soviet agents.

Chinese agents.

Again, creativity is the goal here. If you want I'll work on a write up based upon 60s era pulp fiction.

He’s old too. So think Hallmark.

The Mob/Organized Crime.

3rd World Dictator.

Soviet agents.

Chinese agents.

‘Pulp Fiction’ is different to cinema of the period. Though I wonder if part of the thought in DoD was the later, seventies, chandler adaptations. Anyway.

Of these:
The Good
Soviets — yeah, but hard to tie in, except as done in CS
Chinese — good, except the PRC weren’t really a world power yet, and it’s just not gonna fly with modern film distribution.

The hmmmm
Fortune hunters/Mercs — kind of, if handled well, but again we are back in Lara Croft territory rather than Indy, and again not exactly high enough stakes.
Dictator — again, we’re in Uncharted territory, and doesn’t entirely fit with the cinema of the period. But could work — still not high enough stakes really.
(Both of these are basically eighties movie tropes, Romancing the Stone rather than Indy.)

The nope
Mobsters — outside of of ToD’s opening (and ToD has dated harder than any other) it’s not really big screen Indy fare, except as henchmen to a certain extent. It *could* work, but it’s more than likely it slip slides into being something else. Again, that includes Lara territory, and Uncharted. It would be fairly low stakes again, and trying to organically work out why the Mob wants a thing would possibly short circuit the story. Ultimately, like the Mercs, it becomes about selling it up to the real big bad. Which is the same for many of these.

They just about work, until you start piecing into an Indy story. Ironically, some *would* have worked better with a younger Indy, in stories set in the thirties, but as we are now in sixties, Cold War territory, all the connotations make it harder for them to work I think. The Mob in particular really pulls it into a different direction — Indy doesn’t suit The Godfather.

The main thing that makes it difficult is that Indy isn’t overtly an ‘agent’ of the US or any world power. Not in the films in any meaningful way at any rate. You need a reason for him to be in the story, and you need a reason for the bad guys to be in the story.

Dictator is really the closest to workable, ignoring how it treads into other franchises tropes — one’s put in place to differentiate it more from Indy in the first place usually — it’s only real problem is how to make it matter. City Of Gold type stuff could work, but it’s going to crash into CS stuff. Ironically, this is where the US could be the bad guy, which whilst a *very* interesting story, would not be very Indy. It would absolutely work best with a younger Indy, and we’d end up with something like the equivalent of ‘License To Kill’ over with Bond, or a sort of extension of the original raiders opening.

Basically, the biggest stumbling block is Indy’s age and that late sixties setting, with its particular geopolitics. And if — like Disney — we’re sending the character off, then it coming full circle, and using all those escaped Nazi stories, makes perfect sense. Possibly the best sense.

Back