If "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" had been the last classic-era film

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Admiral Archer, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think sometimes they find the thread from a Google search and then sign up specifically to respond to the topic of that thread, not realizing there's a rule against reviving old threads.

Kor

2. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure he also let him do his own thing...

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, in TMP he is cold Spock, searching for what to be, then discovers he needs to be human too; WOK he seems "normal." SFS, he's well. . . . y'know. TVH, he's recovering. By TFF he's back to "normal." Then in TUC he mind-rapes Valeris.

To be fair, Spock was different throughout TOS. Shouty, someimes-pissed Sppock of early S1 gives way to "normal", then in S3 he gets real cold again, like playing a stereotypical Berman-era dickish Vulcan. So I'm not sure there was ever a normal. Hey, before those, he sings in an elevator with Una. He's quite a chameleon.

4. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

I know this is a necro thread, but I’d have been very sorry if Trek IV had been the last TOS outing. The final scene works OK for that purpose, but I think the whimsical nature of the film overall would have made it an odd bookend for the much more somber I-III. The movie works great right where it is, mixed in like Shore Leave or the Trouble With Tribbles. It doesn’t need the weight of being the capstone to the TOS legacy.

Also, TFF is a weaker outing, but I treasure many of the character moments and am glad we got those interactions with Bill, Dee and Leonard while we could. Then the cast gets a proper goodbye with TUC. Worked out well, in my book.

Allyn Gibson and Robert April like this.
  5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek IV makes an interesting comparison with "All Good Things..." The stories told are very different, yet in their different ways they end up in the same place at the end -- the casts are united in their classic configurations, the ending is open-ended, and it's possible to imagine the two crews boldly going forever. These are hopeful endings, full of promise and dreams.

They're satisfying endings. The stories could have ended there. But I would have been disappointed if they were also the last stories we'd seen of those crews. :)

PhotoBoy and JaxsBrokenHeart like this.
  6. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I wish TVH had led to 7 years of that ship and crew on TV telling versions of the TNG stories with a handful of the TNG crew mixing in with the Magnificent 7. The timing works too well. 1986, the final movie. 1987, the launch of a new show.

Picard could be the demoted Shatner's boss over a viewscreen, maybe. Riker/Troi/Data could fulfil the original Decker/Ilia/Xon roles, and they could still have had a Klingon and a blind pilot.. Could have even gone back to tunics under/instead of the Maroons.

publiusr likes this.
  7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

No.

dupersuper likes this.
  8. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Nimoy would've most likely had a heart attack at being proposed that at the time. before saying 'bon voyage'. The rest however would've been jumping up and down with joy (including Shatner as TJ Hooker had just been cancelled)

9. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Nimoy as a recurring guest star for season finales and special episodes may have worked, and still allowed the new characters to develop. I would love to have seen post ressurection Spock having philosophical debates and a form of mentorship with Data. Some comedy gold.

10. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

Honestly I think for Trek's long term vitality TNG had to be its own thing. The show suffered enough from feeling like TOS early on; a mixed crew of old and new casts would have further defined ST as having to be Kirk adjacent to exist rather than a living breathing universe to have different casts in.

Granted, if the Final Frontier had been successful and kept the movies' momentum going into the early 90s, Trek might have been defined as Films=TOS, TV=TNG & others longer than it did.

11. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I get what you're saying.

In a sense, TNG was truly building the world that later became associated with Star Trek, overall. So much of what the other shows and films have done since pull from that and even retroactively apply that sort of sensibility to the shows that are set prior to TOS. And I think as a result of this, it's caused TOS, while the originator of the entire franchise, to look and feel the most separate from all of them.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Leaving this thread open since it seems to have aged well, but please, folks, if it's older than a year, don't post! Open a new thread!

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder, honestly, how long a Kirk/Spock movie series could have lasted, though. There's no magical reason why Undiscovered Country was the last. Shatner pitched a sequel to it (which became The Ashes of Eden). Almost all of the cast said they would return for another if that's the way the studio went. But DeForrest Kelley was old, frail, and uninsurable. Doohan was getting up there, too. Maybe Paramount could have squeezed one more film out of the old cast before either recasting the original crew with younger actors (as Harve Bennett wanted to do in 1990) or transitioning Picard's crew to film. But I think that's the most that could have happened.

FWIW, I wish I could jump a few universes over and see Bennett's Starfleet Academy movie.

Pauln6 and ChallengerHK like this.
  14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I feel the exact opposite. The original intent was to have the TNG crew for the small screen, and the TOS crew for the big screen, and nary the two shall meet. But what Paramount didn't seem to take into consideration was that the TOS crew were aging and were not believable as the space explorers/action heroes that Paramount wanted to market them as. This is painfully evident even in the first post-TNG TOS film, TFF. I firmly believe the TOS films should have ended with TVH, and the fate of the crew left to the imaginations of the audience. (Yes, I'm aware that Paramount was contractually obligated to give Shatner his chance to direct a film, but look how that turned out?)

15. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I can quite happily go straight from TVH to TUC and the story works just fine.

JaxsBrokenHeart and fireproof78 like this.
  16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But...I need my pain.

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. I honestly can't recall the last time I watched TFF between those two. TFF is fun outlier, but not as a story between the other two films.

18. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Don't get me wrong it has some great character moments but they're not enough to save the film. I also feel like the trial with the klingons desperately wanting kirk jailed in TVH fits well with the story in TUC also.

TFF, alongside insurrection are the two trek films I rarely watch these days.

19. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, there didn't need to have two more movies because Kirk got his command back and sail off to other future adventures. From understanding TVH was a box office success and another movie was bound to happen, but the movie was uplifting, fun, had a message a general audience loved. Gene Roddenberry gave that movie his blessings where he was critical with most of the movies, this movie could have been a wonderful send off to his characters he created.

20. bravetwo

bravetwo Cadet Newbie

The Voyage Home is the Star Trek film that had the highest box office gross. It captured the imagination of the public who were eager to see Kirk and the crew in present day (1986) San Francisco.