If "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" had been the last classic-era film

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Admiral Archer, Aug 15, 2018.

1. bravetwo

bravetwo Cadet Newbie

Luckily, the film was solid in all aspects and was enjoyed by long-time fans of the series as well. [SIZE=1][Links Removed][/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2021
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

What the hell is that link supposed to be?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Spam, Maurice, spam.

4. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I wish it had been the last film, and launched a version of TNG with the TOS cast and the "A" involved. Only a handful of TNG characters were worth much IMO, and I would trade the entire 24th Century for 3-5 more seasons with the TOS cast.

fireproof78 and ChallengerHK like this.
  5. Captain Zog

Captain Zog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I could have lived in a world without Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, but The Undiscovered Country was a spectacular conclusion to that era. Much as I like The Voyage Home, I'm glad they continued on with the franchise past that point.

JonnyQuest037 and Smellmet like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This. The 23rd century was gone too soon by my reckoning.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  7. Phoenix219

Imagine this version of TNG - Kirk, dealing with a Klingon on his bridge. Kirk, dealing with young cadet Crusher so close to losing both David Marcus and Peter Preston. Kirk, having to deal with a mandated new counselor. Trelane returning as Q. Spock and Data. I could deal with that sort of cast mixing. Picard and Riker are redundant at that point. Keep Geordi but make him more like John Lamarr. Ditch the rest of the tng cast and finally give Uhura and Chekov some time. Sadly, Takei's long awaited Captaincy reduces him to a bit character in this revival. Ironic.

PhotoBoy and ChallengerHK like this.
  8. fireproof78

Well, I'm already way more interested in this show, except for Trelane. Also, the counselor would be interesting if odd addition since McCoy is a space psychology expert, if I recall correctly.

ChallengerHK likes this.
  9. Phoenix219

In the context of this show, if they were going to go with some version of what we saw on TNG, Q would be redundant, so may as well go with the TOS throwback completely.

Conflict between Troi and McCoy over that very fact could be interesting, especially if it was a Starfleet mandate with new and changing updating guidelines, giving room for episodes highlighting the conflict and differences between old school styles and new interpretations.

Can't wait for Kirk vs. The Borg. Who becomes Locutus? Spock? Or does Kirk get to do his logic-trap from the inside this time? haha.

10. fireproof78

I would rather avoid the whole Q/Trelane/whatever trope altogether.

Upon reflection perhaps McCoy and Troi could be interesting, as you put it.

Ugh, to the Borg. But, if I were to have to have it (shudders) I would have it be Uhura.

11. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can see this played out in Star Trek Continues.

12. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't see either Shatner or Nimoy being interested in doing a new Trek series at that point. Especially considering that Nimoy's directing career was really taking off then.

13. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Part of me is glad we got more movies, but I loved the positive, exciting ending to TVH more than the sentimental, sad ending in TUC.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  14. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Say what you like, but even V had a better ‘ending’ for the characters and series than VI frankly. It’s ironic that outside of the ‘cliffhanger’ endings, and maybe as a result of always not quite knowing if there would be a ‘next one’ almost all the films ended, if not always on a high, in a way that was an open ending - but an ending none the less. Whereas VI... didn’t. I don’t think it even really ‘ended’ the Klingon antagonism any more than V did if I am honest.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  15. Phoenix219

You aren't wrong. Honestly, I'm an unabashed TFF fan, and it ended on a very fun, TOS style note - the next movie absolutely clashed in terms of Kirk's reaction to Klingons. Earlier, I speculated on a what-if, where TVH launched a Shatner-led take on TNG - I'll take it a step farther; The Final Frontier (including the title) would have been a perfect final movie, to *launch the new TV show* - the planet of galactic peace could lead directly to his new Klingon Bridge officer, no less..... it could have been a theatrical release that doubled as a pilot, and launched the next TV show, running for 5 years from '89-'94. DS9 and VOY would just have been set in the 23rd century with altered aesthetics. The Final Frontier even uses the upcoming TV show's classic anthem. ;)

Vger23 likes this.
  16. fireproof78

I thought TUC ended great. Such a sweet and triumphal moment for the crew. They can now rest from their labors.

I would not want to lose it.

Smellmet likes this.
  17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I’m very happy we got TFF and TUC. There’s special moments in both those films. TVH was fun, but would have disappointed me if that was the end.

Smellmet, Jadeb and fireproof78 like this.
  18. Phoenix219

The longer time goes, the more I think I would have appreciated the open-ended nature of IV/V much more than the definitive send-off at the end of VI. I didn't need closure. The adventure is just beginning.

PhotoBoy likes this.
  19. fireproof78

It's not like the adventure stopped.

20. Phoenix219

For the TOS crew, it did.

In retrospect, I prefer the open ending of the previous 2 movies.