IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't get what they mean about the Mirror Universe. We already have the MU visited in Mirrored, is this going to involve crossover between the Abramsverse and its Mirror twin, or are they going to go with the idea that what we saw in Mirrored was just McCoy and Scotty's imagination.

I'd be more interested in this Starfleet Academy series if it was just about these new characters. I understand they need someone from the movies there for licensing purposes and the belief it'll generate sales, but isn't there a better way to do that than devoting half the series to a separate storyline involving the main characters when they were cadets?

So what if it does? Star Trek, not even the Abramsverse, doesn't go in on that silly transmedia shared universe that seems to be in vogue with everyone else these days. SOP for Trek in this situation is if there is something from those YA novels that they feel can contribute to the comics they'll use it, but they aren't required to adhere to anything there, and if they do completely disregard the YA novels, that's their right. Star Trek tie-ins only have to be consistent with the on-screen source material, not with each other.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You're talking about the general policy CBS has toward Trek tie-ins, but I gather that Bad Robot does want its particular tie-ins to be consistent with each other. For instance, there was an issue of the Ongoing comic that was a sequel to the Gorn-centric video game. So it's possible they'd want to keep this comic consistent with the YA books. Although those books don't seem to have caught on the way the comics have, as evidenced by the fact that the SA books are no longer coming out but an SA comic is. So maybe they wouldn't feel the need to acknowledge them. We'll just have to wait and see.

3. The Wormhole

There really wasn't much consistency between the game and the comics. In fact, both the game and Countdown to Darkness end with Pike getting in contact Kirk and ordering the Enterprise to Nibiru. The comics aren't really consistent with each other either. Scotty's origin story in the Ongoing series has Alexander Marcus sitting on the Academy's admissions board at the same time Countdown to Darkness says he was serving with Captain April on the previous Enterprise. And do say nothing of STID contradicting the comics. Honestly, I'll be very surprised if this Academy comic series includes anything from the YA novel series.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It can work with a minimum amount of squinting:

* Last comic happens
    * Enterprise sets course for Nibiru
    * On the way, they pick up a distress call
    * They answer it, the events of the game happen
    * They resume course for Nibiru.

Had the game started with something routine instead of an emergency, it would be a different story.

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IIRC, the SA novels weren't particularly consistent with one another, so I don't think we can expect much effort by the comic makers to sync up their stories with the books. As Christopher said, the SA book line seems to have ceased being an ongoing concern.

6. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

I'll admit I haven't played the game or read Countdown to Darkness, but why would they need to be ordered again by Pike in this situation? In case they forgot? :p

7. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting!
    I know that comics and novels aren't considered canon but I still have a thing for continuity and hope that the new comics will be consistent with the other ongoing series at least and possibly not contradict events from the novels too much.

they didn't?
    it seems to me they were consistent for the most part
    though, it should be noted that 'The Edge' actually isn't, chronologically, the second book. It should be the first
    I also think the Spock/Uhura subplot was consistent in the novels and there were come connecting points that made the next novel a sequel of the previous one.
    That said, some inconsistencies might be unavoidable when there are different authors.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't recall Pike appearing or being mentioned in the game; I thought their destination was just mentioned by Kirk in a log entry. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

9. The Wormhole

In broad strokes, yes, I'm sure this new Academy series will be mostly consistent with IDW's other Abramsverse series. Sure there will be inconsistencies springing up as a result of mistakes and oversights, that sort of thing happens. But I'm not holding my breath regarding the comics being consistent with the YA Academy novels. Besides, STID didn't try very hard to be consistent with the comics, so I don't see why the comics should try to be consistent with an out-of-print novel series.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe this one will be different:

IIRC, 'Mirrored' was just a story told by the regular Abramsverse versions of Scotty and McCoy. It wasn't, in the strictest technical sense, a 'real' Mirror Universe plotline.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly I don't remember the 'mirror' story being like that. The talk b/w Scotty and Mccoy seemed to just be an explanation of why other universes exist but it was never said the story wasn't "real".

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The new mirror universe issue could be either a sequel to "Mirrored", or feature a different permutation of the MU. I always found the MU strangely fascinating, so I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

13. The Wormhole

It's actually been a popular theory since the story was released based on the fact that McCoy and Scotty's conversation frames the story. And it does explain the rather odd insertion of elderly Spock into the story who is either from the Prime Universe or one very similar. Of course, if this is the case then it is very coincidental that McCoy and Scotty imagined an MU similar enough to the actual one and that it had interaction with the Prime Universe.

Although, based on the way the IDW folks are talking about this MU story, maybe they are going with that interpretation? Or it could involve, like I said above, it could involve crossover between the main Abramsverse and the MU seen in Mirrored. Or maybe they are actually visiting the original MU, from Mirror, Mirror? We do actually catch a glimpse of it in the climax of Parallel Lives, including Kirk wearing the MU uniform and drawn in Shatner's likeness.

14. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I finally caught up with my comics and I really only have one complaint.

In Eurydice, you had Kirk and Co turn into Picard and Co in regards to their attitudes on money and commerce. While I can see how the Federation can be "moneyless" I simply didn't like the arrogance portrayed by Kirk.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Federation clearly wasn't moneyless in TOS anyway. Aside from a throwaway line in The Voyage Home, that didn't really become the case until the TNG era.

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Meh, Rules of Trek apply, don't like it, disregard it.

17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i wonder who the crewmember will be to make the "Ultimate sacrifice" in this week's issue aka #47.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the first MU arc, so I don't know how it might relate to that, but the way they are talking about Mirror, Mirror makes me think the new story will be a crossover between the universes.

I'm not sure what to make of the IDW Starfleet Academy series. I like the idea, but the way they are doing it, with the two different sets of characters seems a odd to me. I'd rather see them just go with just a new cast, or just the movie cast.

19. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^I think it's more of a back-door pilot-type miniseries. The familiar faces are there to lure in new readers and, if successful, lead to more miniseries featuring just the new cast.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would make sense.