IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

hello guys...I cant seem to find the thread for this comics anymore so I thought it was tome to start a new one. Has anybody read the recent issue - star trek ongoing 15? It has to do with the mirror universe, so am guessing it is going to be worth it. I have seen the previews and I gotta say....I am loving the artwork.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They used the wrong Enterprise during the prologue with Scotty and McCoy, which was inexcusably sloppy. It's like using the Adam West Batmobile in a comic adaptation of The Dark Knight.

Otherwise the art is good.

(and this just from looking at the preview!)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that's happened on a number of occasions in Trek comics and novel covers over the decades. Sometimes people choose the wrong photo reference. Like that panel in DC's Mirror Universe Saga that's supposed to be the Mirror Enterprise with a reverse image superimposed over it to show the crossover -- but the base image is a drawing of Excelsior instead of Enterprise.

And it's easy to dismiss a mistake as "inexcusable" when you don't have to do the work yourself. Anyone who actually does work in publishing knows how common it is for mistakes to slip through even when a dozen people edit and quality-check the work a dozen times each. I'm sure it's the same in graphic publishing. This kind of error in particular, where you substitute one valid thing for another valid thing, is the kind that easily and routinely slips past the brain's radar, because your mind recognizes it as a legitimate word or image or whatever and thus the red flag doesn't go off the way it would if the word were improperly spelled or the ship were crudely drawn. Sure, it's in the wrong context, but that's a harder mistake to catch when you're in the kind of editorial mode that's looking for errors in the individual words or images themselves. That's why I was able to spend seven years repeatedly rereading and revising a particular scene in Only Superhuman and completely miss the fact that I wrote "Sarkar crossed your arms" instead of "her arms" -- and why everyone else who edited and proofread it missed that too until one day I just happened to look at it with my mind in the right state to realize that I'd told the readers that a character reached out of the book and crossed their arms for them. Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it, but it took me seven years to see it. (And it could've been anyone; it was the luck of the draw that I happened to be the one to catch it.)

4. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Is the story any good regrdless?

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly didn't even notice it was the wrong Enterprise until somebody pointed it out in one of the articles on another Trek site. I really doesn't seem that obvious to me unless you look really closely.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But... but... the nacelles!!

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I am going to give a few of the IDW comics a go tonight. Been awhile since I read a comic. I am more of a book guy.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  8. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, the story is good. A very nuTrek take on the mirror universe. Quinto with a goatee, Pine with a scar and a 2009 movie character cameo. I'm a big fan of this comic series and this issue doesn't disappoint.

The artist on the book should be cut some slack: what he lacks in nacelle rendering can be excused by his very fine depictions of the nuTrek cast, both normal and mirror-verse. He also does a pretty apt illustration of prime universe Scotty and McCoy in the comic. Impressive work.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

There's the rather infamous Filmation pencil sketch of the Vulcan skyline, where someone has very clearly written "NO MOON". The inker never noticed.

And Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer signed off on the final sketch of USS Reliant when it was upside down, which is how it came to have its nacelles under the main hull.

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Maybe it just represents one of the other myriad universes? :bolian: Don't look for errors when you can conveniently explain it away.

11. Christopher

Which is the reverse of what happened with the original Enterprise proposal model in 1964 -- Guzman and Jefferies designed and built it with the nacelles underneath, but it was hung upside-down and Roddenberry approved it that way.

12. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I always tought the Reliant looked weird. Now i know why.

13. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

can anyboudy gives a summary of the recent issue? I have only seen some of the previews.

14. Sto-Vo-Kory

This is my first time trying the spoiler feature, so please forgive me if I mess it up:

The issue begins with Scotty and McCoy musing on the idea of multiple universes which cuts to the "nuMirror-verse" and the rest of the issue is devoted solely to the mirror nuTrek cast's adventure, a story very reminiscent of the ENT episode In A Mirror Darkly both in style (no nuTrek characters involved in the proceedings) and content (the theft of a ship from a different universe -- in this case, Nero's mining vessel). Definitely a "nu" take on the mirror universe with some nicely redesigned mirror-verse uniforms. Oh, and Gorkon drops by for an appearance. Can't wait to see where the story goes in part two!

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it really has nothing to do with the story of Mirror, Mirror then? The description calls it an adaptation of the episode.

16. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Wow. I've never been a fan of these NuTrek comics, but that actually sounds epic!

17. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

okay cool, However I have a question,

I saw Kirk with a scar in one of the previews, it so funny and weird at the same time because it reminded me of Anakin Skywalker in Revenge of the Sith..

My question is how did it get it?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  18. Sto-Vo-Kory

As far as the scar goes, the story gives no explanation.

Jerome Bixby gets credit on the title page as does Mirror, Mirror for the basis of the story but I think "adaptation" could only be used in the loosest sense. Maybe part two will see some crossover between the universes, but I'd bet that the crews remain separate for the remainder of the storyline with the regular Scotty and McCoy conversation serving as bookends to the mirror-verse tale. Just my guess.

19. Christopher

Some of these seem to be "adaptations" only in the loose sense of telling a different story built around the same idea as a TOS episode. I think there was an earlier issue involving tribbles that wasn't the same story as "The Trouble With Tribbles" -- and their first original story in issues 7-8 could be seen as a thematic parallel to "Balance of Terror" since it involved the first UFP/Romulan conflict since the war, and did involve a ship crossing the Neutral Zone with warlike intent, although it was in the other direction.

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the Keenser story was weak compared to the redshirt story. It felt like an incredibly childish fable. We have disability discrimination legislation in Europe where employers have to make reasonable adaptations to the workplace yet a high tech spaceship with a history of anti-grav units makes an employee climb on a box? Shoddy. I was surprised that he's a lieutenant though, given the way that he is treated. I don't know if this is intentional or if it's a symptom of the writers ongoing obsession with the officer classes without giving much thought to the logistics of being an officer.

The Mirror story was good fun though. It will be a shame if it's just a 2-part story but they might revisit it in later stories I guess. Let's see if they can make the Narada fun and fill in some of the silly gaps from the movie. I wonder if Mirror SpockPrime will make an appearance in a cave?