I would like JJ Abrams to direct Star Trek 4.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm surprised people are liking Lin's style over Abrams because I think it was better in the previous two. Here the camera is constantly swirling around, zoomed in fast cuts making some of the action hard to follow. One key moment with Idris Elba looks like audition footage, and his very last scene looked cheesy. But other scenes looked great, it was inconsistent.

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking of posting a question - how many lens flares in Beyond?

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Mostly just the approach to Altamid and the reflections on the surface or interior of Yorktown.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Lin did a fantastic job. I think he deserves to direct as many as he wants.

DaddlerTheDalek, BillJ and BigJake like this.
  5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beyond's themes of friendship and bonding are far more profound and meaningful than STID's post-9/11 commentary a decade late.

6. Jedi_Master

Agreed. Beyond is light years better that STiD in many ways, but where it REALLY excels in the development of interpersonal relationships and character growth. Lots of deft touches and carefully planned moments interspersed with the usual summer blockbuster actiony moments.

7. Cake

Cake Captain Captain

With the budget he was given, I think a lot of other producers/directors would have managed that, too, maybe even more successfully.

The Wormhole likes this.
  8. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Funny, I actually had a much easier time following what was going on, whereas I always thought Abrams' was more erratic and confusing. Right after seein BEYOND I went to revisit those first two films and within a minute I was intensely disliking how the Kelvin sequence was done as far as camerawork, editing, pacing is concerned. In contrast, the swarm attack was better built up "what is this?", drawn out to emphasize the futility of their situation, and Jim's realization of losing a ship he's fighting hard to salvage. Meanwhile Abrams films feels like they were in a damn hurry just to get to those emotional beats without earning them.

When the ship crashes and that familiar theme music swells up with the choir, I was really into the film in a way I never was with Abrams'.

Jedi_Master likes this.
  9. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps but there is no time to take in that urgency, stuff happens so fast and so frequently that there is no time to think about what's happening and putting together the pieces. For Beyond there was the same urgency but handled in a different way. I felt the impact was greater since there was more time to react to it and the longer things went on the higher the suspense. If something happens and it's solved immediately after, you don't feel that tension.

10. Jedi_Master

Lin's pacing was better than JJ's.

CaptainMurdock likes this.
  11. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

I don't know how much was Lin or Double Negative, but all space sequences in Beyond -even the fake nebula-, are completely fantastic, they blow out of the water the previous ones without effort. I wish we had more. Also Lin does love Starship PR0N as much as we do :luvlove:

Jedi_Master likes this.
  12. Makarov

Beyond is so weak on plot that the character bantering and friendship is said to be the theme. Those moments were already in Into Darkness and explored in 09's building up of the crew. For character growth we get Kirk being suddenly jaded about the mission which seemed like something they just threw in to give him some sort of arc, which felt unearned. We last left him in Into Darkness practically skipping with joy when mentioning the mission. Spock on the other hand had a good reason, but it felt disconnected from the rest of the story.

Relayer1 likes this.
  13. Jedi_Master

Chuckle. Well good thing I don't speak for everyone when I offer my opinions.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought the themes in Into Darkness were profound and meaningful. Considering we are still stuck in that post-9/11 mindset as a nation.

15. Makarov

Neither do I, just chiming in with a different perspective :beer:

Jedi_Master likes this.
  16. Jedi_Master

There were rather profound, but clumsily portrayed.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beyond is just veiled propaganda for Hillary.

#strongertogether

BillJ likes this.
  18. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, having character banter and friendship isn't just a check box. There's also the matter of doing it well, which as the prior movies go you'll find opinion... varies. Far as plot goes, Beyond's was relatively minimal but everything hung together and worked, which in turn made the character work come off more convincingly and the action feel more meaningful. Don't see what's not to like.

19. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

Sorry, but as much as I admire Abrams for bringing back Star Trek from near death, Lin's direction made this movie the most TOS-like of the three so far. I would rather Abrams keep on as Producer, and give Lin right of first refusal.

Beyond stylistically, it seemed like the production for Beyond was a little more fan-friendly than Abrams' shop, who treated the movie as an MI6 operation with sometimes an attitude or condescension toward the fans to boot.

BigJake likes this.
  20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That scene is one of the more effective uses of the theme in all three movies. The scene in question really was an awesome moment. Star Trek has truly regained its purity with this movie.