I would like JJ Abrams to direct Star Trek 4.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

On first viewing I thought Beyond was weak on plot but after my second viewing I have to disagree. the plot is just on point. this film is almost as good as the first film balancing plot and action.

2. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If JJ had directed Beyond, it would have had more emotional weight. The previous films had that, even if the stories as such didn't always make sense.

Malaika likes this.
  3. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

that's it.
    JJ is the one who added that Pike/Kirk scene in the bar (stid) last minute because he felt like the audience needed one more hint making them understand why Kirk would have that emotional reaction when Pike dies and why it affects him so much: because Pike was his mentor and someone who believed in him since the start even if he reprimanded him, some sort of father figure if you will. JJ didn't take for granted that the audience would understand Kirk's tears and why he was so angry with 'John Harrison'.
    and some people complain about that scene, but he also is the one who made the Spock/Uhura argument in that ship the way it was. From his interview for the Empire magazine:
    "The scene playing out in front of us is significant on another level, too. Initially envisaged as a transitional sequence from the Enterprise to the enemy planet’s surface, it was written as a simple chase.
    But there was something generic about it,” says Abrams. “It was fun but it didn’t do anything special. It was a placeholder for what it has eventually become, which is an important scene about Uhura and Spock wrestling with being an inter-species couple and what it’s like when you’re a human woman who has certain needs that most humans would have, dating someone who has made the choice to feel nothing. It’s a microcosmic example of what this movie is. (..)Whatever happens always needs to be revelatory about the characters; it has to make you love them. What I pray we are doing is appreciating that no spaceship flying through space is going to matter to anyone, unless you love the people on that spaceship” - JJ Abrams

"no spaceship flying through space is going to matter to anyone, unless you love the people on that spaceship" <-- exactly that.
    I think JJ (who, let's not forget, started as a writer) would put Uhura's perspective about the 'break up' and possibly even use it to create some bonding time between her and Sulu. He wouldn't delete the scene about Sulu's concern for his family in yorktown because that not only was a further pretext to show the friendship between Sulu and Uhura (and thus make you give a damn about the fact that Krall might kill them) but it also would make you care about Krall destroying yorktown a bit more if the family of one of our beloved characters is there, and said character feels guilty because his husband made the choice to live there for him so that Sulu could visit them while being on his five years mission. Sulu's conflict was interesting (every conflict for the characters has a question and his was 'how you manage to be a good father and have a personal life while being on a spaceship most of the time and thus away from your family?' ) but the movie makes no use of it beyond showing you that his family is there. Zoe Saldana was kind of right at the press conference because everyone makes a fuss about the fact that he's gay (which might have been something a lot of the audience would miss if this information wasn't given by the actor. It's very subtle in the movie), but few talk about the fact that he also is a father who is missing a lot of his little girl's life because he's doing his thing in space.

Lin, instead, deleted these emotional moments. I get that they had to edit some things out because the movie couldn't be longer than the run time established, but I think maybe he prioritized the big action scenes over the emotional moments for the characters.
    To be honest, in his interviews I never got the sense he even cared about these characters. Yes, he kept saying he's a tos fan and liked the old characters, but does he even like the kelvin timeline version of them? Mystery. Look at the quote from JJ I posted above, you can love or hate him as a director but he really seemed to care about THESE characters in spite of not being a huge trek fan. I never got that from Lin's interviews.
    Case of point: Lin saying that Spock and Mccoy were the devil and angel at Kirk' side in spite of, honestly, them never having this role in JJ's movies. In fact, one could say that unlike what some nayers say, it was Kirk and not Uhura who 'replaced' McCoy's role in the original trio. If you don't even get the fact that the reboot essentially changed Kirk and Spock (and why they did!), or the fact that Spock was elevated to protagonist level with Kirk rather than being just his nerdy sidekick friend who argues with his other friend (in the dvd commentary JJ&co pretty much said that the first movie was more about Spock than Kirk), then how can you truly develop this version of the characters?

this doesn't mean JJ is flawless as a director. What I'm commenting here is only one of the many aspects of these movies and, again, there can be aspects that Lin got better than him too.
    In general I think we got the best they could find. If neither of them is available for trek 4, I cannot think about any other director that would make a better job than them and I think we would probably only lose the good things both directors did.