I would like JJ Abrams to direct Star Trek 4.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dales, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

For two reasons

1. JJ Abrams action scenes are better because they are more intense
    2. He can take on a heavy plot and direct it well.

Please does anyone feel the same way?

2. BobtheGunslinge

BobtheGunslinge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Absolutely not. Not only do I disagree with both your points, but I find Abrams is the worst modern director for pacing and character interactions as well. Please keep him away from ST and SW.

Beyond actually felt like a TOS movie made for modern audiences. I don't ever want to go back.

USS Firefly likes this.
  3. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. Bring back Lin and Pegg/Jung.

{ Emilia } likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wouldn't be opposed to Abrams, but only after Lin passes on it.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  5. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

Couldnt agree more JJ n his team got ST noises unis etc correct but not the character interactions and feel. Klingon "warbirds" that's romulan n they sounded lije tie fighters in stid..... no thanks check please

Was disappointed to hear pegg n jung not writing 4.

6. BillJ

Klingon ships were first referred to as "Warbirds" in "Broken Bow", in 2001.

Kor and SalvorHardin like this.
  7. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

Beyond was a very very good film but STID and ST09 had more depth in plot while beyond had more depth with characters especially for Kirk, Spock, Jaylah and Uhura. I just like a thicker film.

Beyond and SW 7 are the same to me. SW 7 may not have been Abrmas fault because he may have been too restricted by Disney and that is why SW 7 felt derivate and safe

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm ok with both Abrams or Lin returning. I don't think either of them will but who knows.

I'm also ok with a new guy or girl director. Abrams chose Beyond's team well, there's no reason why he can't choose well again.

lurok, Firebird, saddestmoon and 2 others like this.
  9. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

I am fine with Lee as well but I will expect him to take it to the next level for star trek 4.

Beyond was good but it was too safe and straightforward as a film. still a solid B for me.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Justin Lin For-evah!

11. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Nope. I can't think of a single action scene in the first two that get anywhere near the intensity of the swarm attack, crash and saucer flip in STB. Don't get me wrong, the first two movies are chock full of excellent action scenes but the bar was raised considerably here. I also preferred lin's camerawork, some of the yorktown stuff was exceptional and creative to name a little. I'd rather lin return for part 4.

Cake, Bad Thoughts, Firebird and 2 others like this.
  12. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I sincerely hope they don't hand the franchise back to Abrams. Beyond benefited from fresh blood. As much as Peg helped make Beyond better, IMO, I think 4 should give someone else a chance to create a story the studio will accept. If that fails, fall back Peg or Abrams.

As for Abram's idea that Kirk some how meet his father, is this really the time to rehash this? We've had 3 films for Kirk to make his own path, and the 2nd half of Beyond is where I think we finally see this. The next film should continue that growth.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    M-Red likes this.
  13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It never actually left his hands, he just didn't direct. His studio produced and he was the one that brought Lin-Pegg-Jung on board for Beyond.

14. BillJ

Something that should probably be done in novels. But they're probably hoping Hemsworth's connection to the Marvel universe will help sell tickets.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  15. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid you won't get your wish, Star Trek 4 was already made and it was directed by Leonard Nimoy.

somebuddyX likes this.
  16. BillJ

Star Trek IV has been made. Star Trek 4 is a placeholder for a movie that releases in 2018/19. It fits because the upcoming film will be the fourth in the rebooted universe. :techman:

saddestmoon likes this.
  17. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

I want them to keep the team from STB, which I think is the best of the 3 by far in almost every way. Story, characters, humor, cinematography, lighting, ship design...and I even like the color.

18. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do not want JJ back as director. His movies are too cluttered. He's fine in a producer role I think.

I would prefer we get someone totally new for ST4. There's lots of talented people out there.

USS Firefly likes this.
  19. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

I'm wouldn't mind Abrams or Lin returning.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Justin Lin is the best thing to happen to Star Trek in a long time. The guy made an awesome movie, and the registry numbers actually make sense. Plus we don't have any of the wonky travel times Abrams has in both his Trek movies and TFA. Justin Lin has to do the next one. Anything else would be a crime against filmmaking.

Cake and ATimson like this.